Roy Firestone

George Sherrill defends "ex teammates"

In a L.A. Times column in Los Angeles this morning, Ex Orioles closer George Sherrill took exception to a joke by Times Page 2 columnist T.J. Simers(a mostly tongue and cheek sarcastic style column).

In the column, Simers jokingly told Sherrill that the Orioles were eliminated from contention BEFORE the season began.

To which Sherrill replied(with an apparent expletive)"Those are my ex teammates and friends you are talking about".

He then blew off Simers and ended the interview.

Just thought youd like to know.

If you werent a fan of George in the past...maybe you should be now.

• Upvote 2

Sherrill has never been anything but totally respectful to the Orioles for the opportunity they afforded him and never anything but appreciative of Baltimore fans. He's a class act and it's nice to see that at least one player is willing to go to war for us.

But fortunately the Dodgers brought in George Sherrill, a clubhouse loner who likes to come off like Jeff Kent, though lacking seriously in baseball resume and motorcycle magazines.

Lonesome George was upset because he thought I had "blasted" his Baltimore teammates when I said they had been eliminated from contention before the season started.

That's the kind of reaction I'd get from Kent, but only so he could hone his cantankerous skills. Lonesome George, though, was really mad, as if anyone here gives a hoot the Orioles stink.

"Those are my ex-teammates,"

Lonesome said, and even he wanted

everyone to know they were his "ex" teammates.

Lonesome was also peeved because I hadn't "addressed" him properly, beginning with a direct question rather than swapping business cards.

As a result, he called me a very nasty name, and when I asked if that qualified as an obscenity, he said, "what?"

I had to explain to him what an obscenity was, a day earlier explaining "ain't" isn't really the correct word to use -- Kent going to Cal, so in many ways, I guess, these two guys really aren't alike.

I almost miss Kent.

source - L.A. Times

source - L.A. Times

"Lonesome" George has been pitching like a beast for the Dodgers. Maybe this hack writer should show a little respect and he'll get some back.

19 IP, 0.47 ERA, 1.264 WHIP

Hope we see you in Baltimore again soon, George.

• Upvote 1

It's really ncie hearing somethign like this from a player that was on the Orioles. We hear the usual "what a poorly run organization" or "no attitude" about the O's.

It's ncie to see this from Sherrill, and he's totally right. This writer sounds like an (insert your favorite expletive here).

• Upvote 1

It sucks that media people are so thin skinned.

It sucks that a good amount of media members are like this guy. They are more concerned with making the news than reporting it. Reporters are not supposed to make themselves the story, but too many egos have become inflated and they have to interject themselves into the story. I guess controversy sells, but when you go out of your way to create it, it just makes me ignore you, T.J.

There are still very good sportswriters out there, but you very rarely hear about them, and that is unfortunate. You hear about guys like this that are jumping up and down screaming "Hey, look at me! I am important because I write for a newspaper!"

Whatever. Thanks George, and thanks to people like Roy that do a great job and display credibility and integrity.

Well, let me be the one to look at the other side. Saying the Orioles were out of contention before the season started? Is that really a personal insult to any of the individual players? Maybe the writer was trying to be funny or just trying to compare the entirely different situation that George finds himself in. Going from a non-contender, who no one in the world expected to contend, to a real contender. Hey, it's great that George wants to defend his ex-teammates. On the other hand, do you think it's possible that George overreacted just a bit there? I don't know the writer but my assumption would be that it wasn't his intention to insult the Orioles but to point out the contrast of pitching in the spring for a non-contender to pitching in September with a playoff bound team.

Kudos to George. If you took a poll of LA sports fans on whether to keep George or Simers, Simers would be on the way out, IMO.

If you took a poll whether to keep T.J. or cockroaches, Simers would probably also be sent packing.

Well, let me be the one to look at the other side. Saying the Orioles were out of contention before the season started? Is that really a personal insult to any of the individual players? Maybe the writer was trying to be funny or just trying to compare the entirely different situation that George finds himself in. Going from a non-contender, who no one in the world expected to contend, to a real contender. Hey, it's great that George wants to defend his ex-teammates. On the other hand, do you think it's possible that George overreacted just a bit there? I don't know the writer but my assumption would be that it wasn't his intention to insult the Orioles but to point out the contrast of pitching in the spring for a non-contender to pitching in September with a playoff bound team.

I don't disagree with you, but I think it was a little bush league for Simers to write a column about the encounter with Sherrill. Something like that should have stayed between them IMO. Just my two cents.

source - L.A. Times

All I have to say is WOW. Some people can really be immature little twerps. This guy is a loser.

Anyone seen real reporting on Sherrill's interactions in the clubhouse? I can't get over how childish that reporter came off. How can you compare someone to Kent, a well-documented bad clubhouse guy, after one incident? Unbelievable.

I don't disagree with you, but I think it was a little bush league for Simers to write a column about the encounter with Sherrill. Something like that should have stayed between them IMO. Just my two cents.

I agree with this.