NewMarketSean

Hopkins student kills intruder with a sword...

In general, the law places higher value on people than on property. Obviously I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see why he wouldn't get charged. Even though I don't have any problem whatsoever with what he did.

Law student here, and Md. law states that one cannot use deadly force to protect one's property. If his safety--or the safety of other's--was in immediate jeopardy, then he might be ok. Kind of sounds like it could go either way at the moment...but it is not ok to samurai chop some guy for simply breaking into your home.

Law student here, and Md. law states that one cannot use deadly force to protect one's property. If his safety--or the safety of other's--was in immediate jeopardy, then he might be ok. Kind of sounds like it could go either way at the moment...but it is not ok to samurai chop some guy for simply breaking into your home.
Its certainly ok to do it if the guy attacks you when you confront him while he is breaking into your home.

My sources on the inside of Hopkins say the swordsman, in no hugely unexpected surprise, is an anime nerd.

Surprisingly however, given the love for anime, the university he attends, and the choice of weapon, the killer is not asian.

• Upvote 1

Its certainly ok to do it if the guy attacks you when you confront him while he is breaking into your home.

Thus the statement about personal safety being in jeopardy. So yeah, he should be fine.

If I was in my garage and suspected someone had broken in, then they lunged at me, I would consider my safety threatened and take action. If he gets charged it just shows that in some localities the criminals have more rights that the law abiding citizens. I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

If I was in my garage and suspected someone had broken in, then they lunged at me, I would consider my safety threatened and take action. If he gets charged it just shows that in some localities the criminals have more rights that the law abiding citizens. I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

You're assuming a lot. Generally, courts frown upon that.

Further, often the law allows only the amount of force necessary to repel the action. Here, there are, apparently, many many stab/slash wounds.

You're assuming a lot. Generally, courts frown upon that.

Further, often the law allows only the amount of force necessary to repel the action. Here, there are, apparently, many many stab/slash wounds.

I'm going by published reports.

The house/garage had been broken into recently.

The Hopkins student heard a noise, investigated, and saw the garage broken into.

He went into the garage armed to defend himself.

The burglar lunged at him and he defended himself.

I doubt he turned the light on first. It would have meant letting go of his equalizer.:laughlol:

And if the law in Maryland doesn't allow me to defend my home, (I lived in Baltimore for over 30 years off and on), I'm glad I moved.

And if the law in Maryland doesn't allow me to defend my home, (I lived in Baltimore for over 30 years off and on), I'm glad I moved.

Honestly, if you think going into a detached garage and stabbing an unarmed guy a bunch of times with a samurai sword is "defending your home," most of Baltimore is probably glad you moved, too.

Honestly, if you think going into a detached garage and stabbing an unarmed guy a bunch of times with a samurai sword is "defending your home," most of Baltimore is probably glad you moved, too.

I find that amusing considering your location says NY.

I find that amusing considering your location says NY.

Yes. Hilarious. Where do I get off speaking out of turn in such certain terms?!?!