JTrea81

Chapman a FA, Yankees already talking...

Andy should take note. This is how you pursue a FA...

http://twitter.com/jorgearangure/

MLB has confirmed to me that Chapman is indeed a free agent

The news that Chapman is a free agent should make his agent's visit to Yankee Stadium this weekend very interesting.

So the Yankees are already meeting with Chapman's agent on the first day he's a FA. That's how you get it done. If you want somebody, you go get them...

I expect we'll be seeing Chapman face the Orioles next year in pinstripes...

Edited by JTrea81

So the key to signing a free agent is calling them, expressing interest and scheduling a meeting with their agent? Someone write that down.

MacPhail's system of contacting free agents via carrier pigeons probably just leaves them confused and covered in bird poop.

• Upvote 2

This isn't first come first served or a deb ball where the nicest suit gets you laid. It's an auction.

I'm not saying we'll bid, and you can be sure we scouted him and valued him, but Chapman will go to the payday and everyone has an opportunity to bid.

• Upvote 1

As I posted in another thread recently, word up here is that Chapman's deal is likely to surpass the $32-million it took the Yankees to land fellow Cuban defector Jose Contreras a few years back.

Now Contreras has only rarely resembled the guy who dominated the Orioles in the Cuba vs. O's exhibition back in 1999, mostly since leaving NY, and never approached the Roger Clemens comparisons circulated at the time.

Chapman is an intriguing talent to be sure, and I wish the kid well, but he remains quite raw and some scouts see his future in middle relief. If he's going to cost more than 500% of what it took to sign Matt Wieters, I don't see the Orioles getting involved and, quite frankly, I don't blame them.

• Upvote 1

Andy should take note. This is how you pursue a FA...

http://twitter.com/jorgearangure/

So the Yankees are already meeting with Chapman's agent on the first day he's a FA. That's how you get it done. If you want somebody, you go get them...

I expect we'll be seeing Chapman face the Orioles next year in pinstripes...

Who cares? Let the Yankees overpay for this kid. No offense to Chapman, but most feel he is no better than Matsuzaka and they Red Sox had to pony up more than $100 Million for him. I like Chapman and I would take him, but I would rather see the Orioles address the offense and give Chapman money to Lackey. The Orioles can not afford to swing and miss on a contract like Chapman's. You give a proven veteran like Lackey that kind of money, not a guy who many believe will be a project before being moved to the bullpen. If Chapman ends up the next Yankees closer then the Yanks will view it as a good deal, for the Orioles that would be devestating. We just traded away Sherrill for Bell because closers are "a dime a dozen" according to some and we will give this kid $10+ million per season. Give Sano a $3.5 Million signing bonus and use the remainder of the funds to sign a free agent like Lackey.

I just do not understanding the love that people have for expensive projects. If the Yankees land Chapman it will mean that every other team in baseball passed on him including the Orioles. We act like we are the only team that does not take huge risks. If the Orioles team budget is $100 Million in 2011, then I do not want Chapman at $9 Million per season.

So the key to signing a free agent is calling them, expressing interest and scheduling a meeting with their agent? Someone write that down.

MacPhail's system of contacting free agents via carrier pigeons probably just leaves them confused and covered in bird poop.

The key to signing players is money and the Yankees have a lot of it. If I were a free agent my decision to sign with a team would come down to a steak dinner and park walkthrough? :rolleyes: This isn't a college recruiting trip. This guy is a defector who wants to get paid and provide for his entire family in all probability.

To mis-quote Joe Strummer:

"Yankee$ dollars talk to the free agents of the world."

If Chapman only wants $32 million, the Yankee$ can find that in the couch cushions in the YES reception area. They dropped almost half a billion last season on three FAs. Think they're really gonna miss $32 million???

• Upvote 1

The point is instead of waiting to see other clubs' offers, the Yankees are meeting with him first. It's the pursuit that is the example for MacPhail.

They are setting the market, instead of waiting for it.

I don't really want Chapman either, but the Yankees do, and they are making an aggressive push to land him.

Edited by JTrea81

I don't understand what's so remarkable about this. The Yanks have no budget, so they can go out and spend mid-to-high end major league free agent money on a guy with very little exposure outside of Cuba. 27 or 28 of the other teams have budgets, and need to have some kind of confidence that they'll get something like $4.5M/WAR out of their investment, so Chapman largely is off their radars. That's how the system works when a couple of teams have a birthright to revenues 10 times that of most other teams.

This "aggressive pursuit is the key to life" stuff is background noise in this story, at best.

The point is instead of waiting to see other clubs' offers, the Yankees are meeting with him first. It's the pursuit that is the example for MacPhail.

They are setting the market, instead of waiting for it.

I don't really want Chapman either, but the Yankees do, and they are making an aggressive push to land him.

You have noticed that when the Yankee$ actually want something they always set the market, haven't you?

As far as they (and MLB and the MLBPA) are concerned, the Yankee$ are the market.

I hear the video tape and pamphlets espousing the virtues of Baltimore are on the way via Fed Ex. :P

The Indians sent this video to him and his agent...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:)

• Upvote 1