murrayfan420

MLB 'parity' a sham

Regardless of what you think about parity in a competitive context, MLB has never been more profitable. Never.

Does the perceived lack of parity cripple the sport's ability to be profitable? Hardly. Does it even possibly enhance the sport's ability to be profitable. Perhaps. You might make the argument that it's useful for the sport to have loyalty from cities whose markets are the largest. You could argue it's good for baseball. "What's good for the Yankees is good for baseball," is not necessarily simply a troll. It might be true, as horrific as it might sound.

You can be certain however that MLB is under no illusion that so-called parity will result in additional profits. Their spreadsheets tell them otherwise. They are raking it in in unprecedented historical dollar figures. They have no incentive to make the changes we constantly hear regurgitated on message boards from year to year from, essentialy, fans of teams who had losing seasons.

There are obviously others...these are pivotal cogs.

Try the same exercise only high-lighting big FA signings (especially on the teams not named Yankees)...the list is far less impressive.

The arbitration system allows teams to control players through most of their prime...if you develop properly, make shrewd moves...you only need to sign 1 or 2 starting players to augment that.

People cry foul here about baseball and it is clearly not baseball...it's the AL East.

Free-agents who play

LAD: Kuroda, Padilla, Wolf (3/4 of the playoff rotation unless Billingsly goes), Hudson, Manny, Pierre, Furcal

Phi: Lidge, Pedro, Lee (I’m throwing him in b/c he was traded since his previous team couldn’t afford to extend him), Ibanez, Werth,

LAA: Vlad, Abreu, Kazmir (same as Lee), Hunter, Rivera – so their entire outfield

NYY: Tex, CC, ARod, Burnett, Damon, Matsui

Stl: not many worth noting

Bos: Bay, Ortiz, Drew, Lowell (salary dump), V-Mart (team couldn’t afford him), Dice-K

Min: not many worth noting

Col: not many worth noting

So basically, all this proves is you have to have a good corps group of players, and add premium free agents to them. It helps to make smart trades along the way as well.

What do these players have in common?

LAD: Martin, Loney, Kemp, Ethier, Kershaw, Broxton

Phi: Howard, Rollins, Utley, Hamels

LAA: Morales, Kendrick, Aybar, Figgins, Weaver, Lackey

NYY: Posada, Jeter, Cano, Rivera, Pettite, Cabrera, Chamberlain, Hughes

Stl: Pujols, Molina, Rasmus, Wainwright

Bos: Youkilis, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Papelbon, Lester, Buchholz

Min: Mauer, Cuddyer, Span, Kubel, Baker, Duensing

Col: Helton, Tulowitzki, Stewart, Atkins, Fowler, Jimenez

That's all fine and dandy but the majority of those teams can afford to keep that homegrown talent with huge multimillion dollar contracts and they can supplement that talent with even more free agent signings.

Just a quick glance but some of those teams have the following contracts:

LAD: Manny 25m for 2009, Jason Schmidt 12m for 2009, Kuroda 10m for 2009, Juan Pierre 10m for 2009, Vicente Padilla 12m for 2009

PHI: Ryan Howard 15m for 2009, Brad Lidge 11.5m for 2009, Chase Utley 11m for 2009, Brett Myers 12m for 2009

LAA: Torii Hunter 17.5m for 2009, Vlad 15m for 2009, Kelvim Escobar 9.5m for 2009, Gary Matthews Jr 10m for 2009, John Lackey 9m for 2009, Brian Fuentes 8.5m for 2009

NYY: Arod 32m for 2009, CC 14m for 2009, Tex 20m for 2009, Jeter 20m for 2009, Burnett 16.5m for 2009, M. Rivera 15m for 2009, Posada 13.1m for 2009, Damon 13m for 2009, Matsui 13m for 2009

Should I keep going? What other teams besides these select few can afford to give players contracts like that and keep their homegrown players?

• Upvote 1

I don't think payroll is a big issue with the Orioles. They could and I believe will spend $100+ million on payroll if given the chance but when you've had 12 losing seasons in a row the kind of players you spend that kind of money on aren't interested in coming. The trick for MacPhail is to get this team good enough that the losing reputation is replaced with the profile of a team and organization on the rise. Then maybe they can pick off one or two of these big time free agents and really get over the hump but getting to that "up and coming" point is going to have to be done, largely, with homegrown talent.

• Upvote 1

Free-agents who play

LAD: Kuroda, Padilla, Wolf (3/4 of the playoff rotation unless Billingsly goes), Hudson, Manny, Pierre, Furcal

Phi: Lidge, Pedro, Lee (I’m throwing him in b/c he was traded since his previous team couldn’t afford to extend him), Ibanez, Werth,

LAA: Vlad, Abreu, Kazmir (same as Lee), Hunter, Rivera – so their entire outfield

Bos: Bay, Ortiz, Drew, Lowell (salary dump), V-Mart (team couldn’t afford him), Dice-K

So basically, all this proves is you have to have a good corps group of players, and add premium free agents to them. It helps to make smart trades along the way as well.

Might want to add Beckett to Boston as the Marlins couldn't afford him either.

I don't think payroll is a big issue with the Orioles. They could and I believe will spend $100+ million on payroll if given the chance but when you've had 12 losing seasons in a row the kind of players you spend that kind of money on aren't interested in coming. The trick for MacPhail is to get this team good enough that the losing reputation is replaced with the profile of a team and organization on the rise. Then maybe they can pick off one or two of these big time free agents and really get over the hump but getting to that "up and coming" point is going to have to be done, largely, with homegrown talent.

Or we could simply offer the most money/years by a significant amount.

Or we could simply offer the most money/years by a significant amount.

And cripple the franchise by paying Lackey $25m/per just to keep him out of pinstripes?

Free-agents who play

Um...did you look at your list here?

Padilla? Wolf and his 1 year deal? Jayson Werth? Pedro Martinez who was there for all the world to add?

Bay was a trade. Nobody wanted Lowell at the time (the Marlins gave him that contract)...Juan Rivera was a premiun free agent?

Orlando Hudson who could barely get a deal this winter? Same with Abreu who got a 1 year deal...

Lidge was a trade (not salary related)...

Manny and ARod were both trades btw (re-upped, but trades originally)...

Ortiz was a superstar out of nowhere...Juan Pierre (one of the worst contracts ever doled out...put Gary Mathews on this list if you are playing this game)

I'll give you the bolded names as big signings with big impact...most from one team.

And cripple the franchise by paying Lackey $25m/per just to keep him out of pinstripes?

Pretty sure you wouldn't have to do that.

You might have to to go 5/85-90 instead of 5/80 though.

And I'd be more worried about the Mets.

You're complaining about ONE team!!!

You can't change the rules for one team...it sucks that we have to play them...but you're just whining.

There's been tons of turn over...MILWAUKEE MADE THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR! I think the Twins have been 3 out of the past 5 seasons. They are feeders for no one.

And you know what you do if you can't lock-up your guys...you trade them and make sure you don't walk away empty-handed.

This is life. This is baseball. The Yanks have an advantage...and they STILL lose.

You have to get creative, be smart and level the field as best you can...and in the end baseball has a funny way of balancing things out.

But that ONE TEAM (!) Has drastically thrown off the salary scales for everyone else. Not everyone can spend like the Yankees, but a lot of teams try. The Angels, Red Sox, Cubs, Tigers etc.

Because the Yankees do what they do the league is now divided into three divisions:

The spenders

The teams that can spend a little on FA here or there

And the teams that have no chance at FA's whatsoever.

Moreover, because of uncontrolled spending now even mediocre talent is out of the reach of smaller market clubs. CC makes what he makes, you think the Giants will be able to afford that when Lincecum's contract is up?

The Brewers made the playoffs last year, last year. Why didn't they make the playoffs this year? Because there is no way in Hell they could afford to keep CC Sabathia. And now look at the Brewers, they need to start thinking about trading away Fielder and Braun because THEY will become too expensive.

Minnesota, guess who's contracts are up this year? Mauer and Cuddyer. Now, Cuddyer has an option for 2011, but the point is this, think that the Twins will have the resources to keep both? I think Mauer likes it enough in MIN to stay but think of the money he would command on the open market. Would anyone except the Yankees or Red Sox be able to afford him?

Besides, the AL Central is a division of mid market teams, and one team that tried to play Ynakee-ball and has had it blow up in their face.

What happens to the Orioles when Matusz, Jones, Wieters, Tillman etc all come up at the same time?

Look at the Tigers, they spent a ton of money poorly. Now their team is losing millions of dollars a year and probably has to start shedding salary soon. They tried to play Yankee ball and lost.

When you have one team spending at the level of the Yankees it throws off the curve for everyone else. That is what I am talking about here.

There is no parity in FA, the Yankees have made sure of that. And when you have two or three teams that can virtually buy up anyone they want, that puts the rest of the teams in the league at a competitive disadvantage.

If one contract busts for the Yankees it doesn't matter - they can spend more money to replace it. Again, look at how the Tigers spent money and it has largely blown up in their faces that is what should happen to teams that take that risk.

I guess that is what my argument boils down to: Risk.

The Yankees spend so much money that they can absorb an insane amount of risk. They can take monetary risks that no other team can take. And they have done it a level that it has greatly affected the salary structure of the rest of the league.

Therefore, one team has indeed greatly changed the game and will only continue to do so if left unchecked.

Edited by SilentJames
  • Upvote 2

Manny and ARod were both trades btw (re-upped, but trades originally)...

Any team could have signed Manny or A-Rod as they were both free agents. They didn't sign extensions. They signed FA contracts.

Pretty sure you wouldn't have to do that.

You might have to to go 5/85-90 instead of 5/80 though.

And I'd be more worried about the Mets.

Why? The Yankees have been frustrated all year with their 4 & 5 starters. If they want to add Lackey they are going to overpay for him, just as they always do. Even the Mets can't keep up with them.

I would love to add Lackey to head the rotation, but I just don't see it happening. :(

That's all fine and dandy but the majority of those teams can afford to keep that homegrown talent with huge multimillion dollar contracts and they can supplement that talent with even more free agent signings.

Just a quick glance but some of those teams have the following contracts:

LAD: Manny 25m for 2009, Jason Schmidt 12m for 2009, Kuroda 10m for 2009, Juan Pierre 10m for 2009, Vicente Padilla 12m for 2009

PHI: Ryan Howard 15m for 2009, Brad Lidge 11.5m for 2009, Chase Utley 11m for 2009, Brett Myers 12m for 2009

LAA: Torii Hunter 17.5m for 2009, Vlad 15m for 2009, Kelvim Escobar 9.5m for 2009, Gary Matthews Jr 10m for 2009, John Lackey 9m for 2009, Brian Fuentes 8.5m for 2009

NYY: Arod 32m for 2009, CC 14m for 2009, Tex 20m for 2009, Jeter 20m for 2009, Burnett 16.5m for 2009, M. Rivera 15m for 2009, Posada 13.1m for 2009, Damon 13m for 2009, Matsui 13m for 2009

Should I keep going? What other teams besides these select few can afford to give players contracts like that and keep their homegrown players?

How many of these contracts are worthwhile?

Can teams not find the same value by being smart? Developing players?

Look at that Dodgers team...how many of those guys are actually impactful/hard to replace?

These teams overpay...doesn't mean they are doing the right thing...they are in the playoffs because they developed homegrown talent...

And many teams can afford to be like the Phils and re-up their own guys...

The BlueJays made huge money buys, they all sucked...

The O's could take on many of those deals...

Mets...

Braves...

Cubs...

Mariners...

White Sox...

Tigers have a high payroll...

Giants...

It takes smarts...these teams can make cover up more mistakes...but let's not kid ourselves that the Dodgers are playing in October because of Kuroda, Padilla and Schmidt. Or that Mathews and Fuentes and Escobar are some lethal trio.

You're complaining about ONE team!!!

You can't change the rules for one team...it sucks that we have to play them...but you're just whining.

There's been tons of turn over...MILWAUKEE MADE THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR! I think the Twins have been 3 out of the past 5 seasons. They are feeders for no one.

And you know what you do if you can't lock-up your guys...you trade them and make sure you don't walk away empty-handed.

This is life. This is baseball. The Yanks have an advantage...and they STILL lose.

You have to get creative, be smart and level the field as best you can...and in the end baseball has a funny way of balancing things out.

:rolleyes:

Translation (in best old person's voice) "we don't need any newfangled changes because that is the way things have always been."

Sorry, you've made some excellent points but this post isn't one of them.

But that ONE TEAM (!) Has drastically thrown off the salary scales for everyone else. Not everyone can spend like the Yankees, but a lot of teams try. The Angels, Red Sox, Cubs, Tigers etc.

Because the Yankees do what they do the league is now divided into three divisions:

The spenders

The teams that can spend a little on FA here or there

And the teams that have no chance at FA's whatsoever.

Moreover, because of uncontrolled spending now even mediocre talent is out of the reach of smaller market clubs. CC makes what he makes, you think the Giants will be able to afford that when Lincecum's contract is up?

The Brewers made the playoffs last year, last year. Why didn't they make the playoffs this year? Because there is no way in Hell they could afford to keep CC Sabathia. And now look at the Brewers, they need to start thinking about trading away Fielder and Braun because THEY will become too expensive.

Minnesota, guess who's contracts are up this year? Mauer and Cuddyer. Now, Cuddyer has an option for 2011, but the point is this, think that the Twins will have the resources to keep both? I think Mauer likes it enough in MIN to stay but think of the money he would command on the open market. Would anyone except the Yankees or Red Sox be able to afford him?

Besides, the AL Central is a division of mid market teams, and one team that tried to play Ynakee-ball and has had it blow up in their face.

What happens to the Orioles when Matusz, Jones, Wieters, Tillman etc all come up at the same time?

Look at the Tigers, they spent a ton of money poorly. Now their team is losing millions of dollars a year and probably has to start shedding salary soon. They tried to play Yankee ball and lost.

When you have one team spending at the level of the Yankees it throws off the curve for everyone else. That is what I am talking about here.

There is no parity in FA, the Yankees have made sure of that. And when you have two or three teams that can virtually buy up anyone they want, that puts the rest of the teams in the league at a competitive disadvantage.

If one contract busts for the Yankees it doesn't matter - they can spend more money to replace it. Again, look at how the Tigers spent money and it has largely blown up in their faces that is what should happen to teams that take that risk.

I guess that is what my argument boils down to: Risk.

The Yankees spend so much money that they can absorb an insane amount of risk. They can take monetary risks that no other team can take. And they have done it a level that it has greatly affected the salary structure of the rest of the league.

Therefore, one team has indeed greatly changed the game and will only continue to do so if left unchecked.

What he said.