Sign in to follow this  
Pedro Cerrano

Your "Must-Read Classics" List

6 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Our assigned reading in American History was Killer Angels and The Jungle.  Two excellent books.  I remember those more than our American Literature assignments.  Didn’t like Scarlet Letter or Catcher in the Rye.

We read segments of Les Miserables in French class.  I enjoyed that too.

Reading Les Miserables in French sounds more fun than me translating Cicero's speeches and the Bible in Latin class like I did. 

Just now, atomic said:

Reading Les Miserables in French sounds more fun than me translating Cicero's speeches and the Bible in Latin class like I did. 

I took both Latin and French.  Three years of both.  I loved learning about speech techniques from the Roman Empire.  I do want to go back and revisit mythology.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:25 PM, atomic said:

The only book I was forced to read in high school that I liked was Catcher in the Rye.  I read The Scarlett Letter in high school and hated it.  Read it in college and liked it.   

Didn’t get to read Les Miserables until much later. Probably wouldn’t have liked it at that time. 

I don’t remember too much of what I read in school, but some of it was tolerable.   I remember enjoying Shane.    We read some Hemingway (A Farewell to Arms, I think) that wasn’t bad.    Mostly, it’s a dim memory now.    

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t remember too much of what I read in school, but some of it was tolerable.   I remember enjoying Shane.    We read some Hemingway (A Farewell to Arms, I think) that wasn’t bad.    Mostly, it’s a dim memory now.    

I did enjoy reading the Shakespeare plays we were assigned "Romeo and Juliet", "Hamlet", "Julius Caesar" and "Macbeth".     

I wonder why we didn't get any comedies to read from Shakespeare in High School.  These all ended with the protagonists dead. Shoot in Hamlet, I think there is only character that isn't killed.  

I didn't read "Shane" never heard of the book.  Is that the same book as the movie staring Alan Ladd. 

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

I didn't read "Shane" never heard of the book.  Is that the same book as the movie staring Alan Ladd. 

I never saw the movie version, but yes.    It’s not a long book, but very tightly written.   

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

I did enjoy reading the Shakespeare plays we were assigned "Romeo and Juliet", "Hamlet", "Julius Caesar" and "Macbeth".     

I wonder why we didn't get any comedies to read from Shakespeare in High School.  These all ended with the protagonists dead. Shoot in Hamlet, I think there is only character that isn't killed.  

Great movie.  I saw it when they opened the AFI Silver Theatre in Silver Spring about 15 years ago.