Sign in to follow this  
NewMarketSean

New WNST protest planned

I still support 'Free the Birds' and will continue to support it until Angelos is gone.

I could care less about some radio guy getting some exposure from it. If it embarasses Angelos and gets the local and national media to again take notice of the laughingstock that is this franchise, then I am all for it. I just wish they would do this more often. Once a year is not enough...should be a weekly event.

McPhail hasn't done much since he has been here, but he doesn't have anything to do with why I support this thing. Angelos continues to promote fan apathy with his ridiculous PR blunders and has done nothing to improve the relationship between the team and city. His reign has seen the Orioles go from the most respected franchises in baseball, to the absolute worst. The laundry list has been cited many times - and nothing has been done to correct the problems.

This thing will get certainly be blasted from many of the posters on here as it was last year. Last years event got significant local and national coverage which was what they set out to do. It definitely embarassed Angelos, and I am all for that.

• Upvote 1

Peter Angelos must have his drink shoot out his nose from laughing so hard every time Nestor opens his mouth...with enemies like this, friends are just a distraction.

I wonder how it's possible for "Nasty" to get a head that big that far up his own a...

"CEO" of one-watt radio station battles the forces of evil in Baltimore probably sounds really good in his head, but comes off as a joke to me...and not a good one.

I still support 'Free the Birds' and will continue to support it until Angelos is gone.

I could care less about some radio guy getting some exposure from it. If it embarasses Angelos and gets the local and national media to again take notice of the laughingstock that is this franchise, then I am all for it. I just wish they would do this more often. Once a year is not enough...should be a weekly event.

McPhail hasn't done much since he has been here, but he doesn't have anything to do with why I support this thing. Angelos continues to promote fan apathy with his ridiculous PR blunders and has done nothing to improve the relationship between the team and city. His reign has seen the Orioles go from the most respected franchises in baseball, to the absolute worst. The laundry list has been cited many times - and nothing has been done to correct the problems.

This thing will get certainly be blasted from many of the posters on here as it was last year. Last years event got significant local and national coverage which was what they set out to do. It definitely embarassed Angelos, and I am all for that.

Agreed 100%. Some people seem to not know what a protest means.

Agreed 100%. Some people seem to not know what a protest means.

But what exactly are you protesting?

The man hired a baseball guy to take over the baseball operations. That sounds good to me.

They have a manager that believes in old fashioned baseball. That sounds good to me.

This is not going to get turned around over night. The team has the 10th higest payroll in baseball...so Angelos is definitely willing to spend money. Now he's hired smart baseball people to run the show. Again...WHAT ARE YOU PROTESTING???

Define significant.

If you mean Nestor getting derisive laughter for 90 seconds on Around the Horn the yeah it was significant.

It's not like its a SECRET that angelos is a terrible owner. Everyone already knows that. When Perlozzo was fired it was open season on the O's for a week on the national shows. That was a move that many people agreed with getting done, it was the right move to make and we got blasted.

My problem with it is the egos that are involved. Nestor bashed the Pirates protest earlier in the year. Why? Wasn't their protest the Exact. same. thing?

The fact that said that Flanny and Duq had this team "moving in the right direction."

WHAT?! If he thought the team was moving in the right direction then why was there a protest last year?

Or could it be that with every station break Nestor pimps this thing, and his site, relentlessly and it is all another publicity stunt.

The proof is right there: Last year he protested the team for its mis-direction, all of the sudden this year Flanny and Duq "Had the team going in the right direction?"

Nestor and Angelos are a lot alike, two blowhards in a pi**ing contest with one another.

The man hired a baseball guy to take over the baseball operations. That sounds good to me.

They have a manager that believes in old fashioned baseball. That sounds good to me.

This is not going to get turned around over night. The team has the 10th higest payroll in baseball...so Angelos is definitely willing to spend money. Now he's hired smart baseball people to run the show. Again...WHAT ARE YOU PROTESTING???

Well here is a list of transgressions, but this is out of date and would be much longer now.

http://www.freethebirds.net/manifesto_transgressions.htm

Weren't Flanagan and Beattie/Duquette, Perlozzo, Mazzone, Mazzilli and the various players they've signed over the years supposed to be a sign of things to come that never came??? What makes you think anything will be different? Again, MacPahil could be the guy... but he's got a daunting task ahead of him. The odds and history are against him.

You can't really blame the fans for being angry. It's been 10 years and the losing WILL continue. They have every right to protest.

You seem to imply that the Orioles aren't already a local and national embarrassment. 30-3. Nestor's nonsense is at best piling on and more likely a meaningless blip on the radar.

Why do we care about PR blunders or the relationship with the City? The issue is the team blows. Winning cures all (or nearly all), and better PR is meaningless without it.

Some people are critical of the event because of the false pretenses under which it is organized. That does not mean they oppose the ancillary consequences that flow therefrom.

BTW, "McPhail hasn't done much since he has been here" = check yourself out of your hole.

Weren't Flanagan and Beattie/Duquette, Perlozzo, Mazzone, Mazzilli and the various players they've signed over the years supposed to be a sign of things to come that never came???

You can't really blame the fans for being angry. It's been 10 years and the losing WILL continue. They have every right to protest.

I thnk this is a true statement, however, I don't think the blame this season shuold be cast in the same direction as the previous 9 years. Flanaquette made a reasonable effort to improve this team last offseason. While Payton could be debated, we didbn't pass on anyone we shouldn't have. The bullpen, while overpaid, were generally good additions. I agree with some of the roster mismanagement but overall it was the players that lost this season, largely the bullpen. I want to give AM a chance this offseason and see where things go before I lump him in with the rest of the previous regimes.. I think he has shown some signs of making progress for us...signing Weiters, Arrietta, and getting Cherry/Moore for Trachsel.

My favorite is using the scoreboard to lead cheers.

This happens at EVERY BALLPARK! In EVERY SPORT.

M+T Bank "D-FENSE, D-FENSE"

I mean they do this in EVERY STADIUM, except for Wrigley.

Calling bleacher seats Eutaw ST reserve. Why is that a big deal? The Yankees call their seating area "lower championship box" or some crap like that ITS SEMANTICS!

And the ticket price increase, that is just ludicrous. I have ticket stube from 1994, I save them...shut up, cheap seats. In over a decade those seats have increased about 2-3 bucks.

Thats called inflation.

The treating Washington DC fans with Disdain - love it. This org. has been routinely criticsized for catering to the DC fans too much.

I'm cherrypicking here of course.

There are MANY very rational things on that list. But that is Nasty for ya, letting irrational stupid things get in the way and shoot his otherwise better argument to hell.

I would listen to WNST every now and then, (when I could get the station in) but I haven't listened to the station except for a couple of times in about 3-4 years. I couldn't stand the same theme of how much baseball sucks. I personally have never understood the argument that because the local team stinks it means the sport itself stinks also. Baseball has it's share of problems but so do all sports. It must suck to go thru life so insecure that you have to point out everything you do. Nestor points out how many hits is website gets so why doesn't he discuss what ratings his station gets also. I never have had a problem with the media being critical of the organization because they deserve it. What I do have a problem with is that some of the valid points he does make he also makes points just for the sake of being negative. The whole attendance theme is a complete joke. It is all about tickets sold as everyone knows. How many people attend Maryland baskeball games against non-ACC competition in November and December? The last couple of years Comcast Center has looked half empty while the Terps announce a sellout for the games-which they are. Blaming MacPhail for anything shows a complete lack of intelligence in understanding the sport and how it works. Another PR event is all this is, and it accomplishes nothing.

I thnk this is a true statement, however, I don't think the blame this season shuold be cast in the same direction as the previous 9 years. Flanaquette made a reasonable effort to improve this team last offseason. While Payton could be debated, we didbn't pass on anyone we shouldn't have. The bullpen, while overpaid, were generally good additions. I agree with some of the roster mismanagement but overall it was the players that lost this season, largely the bullpen. I want to give AM a chance this offseason and see where things go before I lump him in with the rest of the previous regimes.. I think he has shown some signs of making progress for us...signing Weiters, Arrietta, and getting Cherry/Moore for Trachsel.

They made an effort to get to .500 which they admitted. Which MacPhail laughed at the second he was hired. The fans have every right.

My favorite is using the scoreboard to lead cheers.

This happens at EVERY BALLPARK! In EVERY SPORT.

M+T Bank "D-FENSE, D-FENSE"

I mean they do this in EVERY STADIUM, except for Wrigley.

Calling bleacher seats Eutaw ST reserve. Why is that a big deal? The Yankees call their seating area "lower championship box" or some crap like that ITS SEMANTICS!

And the ticket price increase, that is just ludicrous. I have ticket stube from 1994, I save them...shut up, cheap seats. In over a decade those seats have increased about 2-3 bucks.

Thats called inflation.

The treating Washington DC fans with Disdain - love it. This org. has been routinely criticsized for catering to the DC fans too much.

There are MANY very rational things on that list. But that is Nasty for ya, letting irrational stupid things get in the way and shoot his otherwise better argument to hell.

I don't expect you to realize this since the O's can do no wrong in your eyes but the small things like this take out the charm of the experience of being at a baseball game. Why can't the seats just be called bleachers? Why can't the scoreboard just have BAL on it instead of O's? Why can't the away jerseys have Baltimore on it? Why can't we get a new jumbotron? Why does the stadium insist on running those lame cheer prompts and give us a reason to cheer instead?

Each one of these taken on its own is too small to get upset about but lump them together and it's another example of how Angelos has turned the O's you cheered for when you were a kid into a cold, corporate, cubicle office experience at the stadium.

That and the team sucks.

The fans have every right.

No doubt, but it goes both ways. The fans who think the "protest" is idiotic have every right to deride Nestor and/or the fans who think a protest is anything other than a publicity stunt for a radio station.

Again, if you could take a second to actually READ what I wrote.

I know that not all is well. But you seem to not have reading comprehension skills so I'll say that again.

You're right, all of those things COULD happen. Do they really matter? NOT REALLY.

The bleachers arent actually bleachers. They are real seats. Hence, not bleachers.

For what its worth, Chicago White Sox have SOX on their TV score bug and BAL is on the smaller boards in Camden. The main scoreboard has said ORIOLES since the days at Memorial.

How can someone live such a boring life that a scoreboard cheerleading actually registers on their radar? I mean this happens elsewhere and it is not considered a carnal sin.