NewOrioleWork

The Official Transit and Urban Development Thread

Have you ever sat on 270 in rush hour? It's pretty bad, no better or worse than any other freeway in the area.

Sorry about the gas tax, but it's the right thing to do.

Wow, maybe you haven't taken that road then. There is nowhere in MD that is worse for travel than 270 - 95/495 area at Rush hour. I have been everywhere in the Baltimore Washington area that are bad for rush hour and that is the worse by far. 10 times as bad as anything 695 has to offer.

Wow, maybe you haven't taken that road then. There is nowhere in MD that is worse for travel than 270 - 95/495 area at Rush hour. I have been everywhere in the Baltimore Washington area that are bad for rush hour and that is the worse by far. 10 times as bad as anything 695 has to offer.

I have to agree. 270 and the portion of 495 between 95 and 270 has the worst normal rush hour traffic (not including traffic for accidents, road closures, etc.) I have ever experienced.

I think we're saying the same thing. :)

Interesting article here about the attitude problems the MTA employees seem to have.

Not all MTA employees are like that. Those two operators should be fired, but I've had no problems with the vast majority of bus drivers and LR operators.

I didn't read it as such. It sounded like the "no better or worse" part meant it was the same type of traffic as other roads.

Let's just say that all of MD's freeways are congested during both rush hours and leave it at that.

Not all MTA employees are like that. Those two operators should be fired, but I've had no problems with the vast majority of bus drivers and LR operators.

Whats funny is that I don't expect much competence from the MTA workers on the LR and on buses, etc.... but the few experiences that I've had with them they've been kind and helpful. The drivers still announce the stops on the LR loudly and clearly and they make it a point to announce where the train is going (Cromwell or BWI).

I did have a nasty exchange with a woman working at the OM Metro stop once. She was just having a tude and I gave it back to her a bit.

Whats funny is that I don't expect much competence from the MTA workers on the LR and on buses, etc.... but the few experiences that I've had with them they've been kind and helpful. The drivers still announce the stops on the LR loudly and clearly and they make it a point to announce where the train is going (Cromwell or BWI).

I did have a nasty exchange with a woman working at the OM Metro stop once. She was just having a tude and I gave it back to her a bit.

Same. I have my issues with the MTA in general, but most of their employees are just nice people trying to make a living.

What I don't understand is how the MTA has absolutely NO ONE on the trains checking for tickets. I don't know how much revenue they lose by not doing this, but it has to be a lot. In my 12 years of riding the trains I have never seen a person checking for tickets, ever.

They don't have to check everyone, especially on game days, but they have to be out there, making people think they will be checked, which will prompt them to buy a ticket.

They probably assume that the stiff posted fines are enough of a deterrent, and/or provide enough revenue to make up for any successful freeloaders.

When you have a LR system at-grade, it's tough to institute a rigid farebox system, like what is seen in most subways.

They probably assume that the stiff posted fines are enough of a deterrent, and/or provide enough revenue to make up for any successful freeloaders.

When you have a LR system at-grade, it's tough to institute a rigid farebox system, like what is seen in most subways.

Yeah, they rely on the punishment as a deterrent. And it's sort of random whether you see someone checking tickets. I have had cops checking tickets on probably half of all the light rail trips I have taken. And NMS has never seen this. Weird. But like I said, it's random.

Yeah, they rely on the punishment as a deterrent. And it's sort of random whether you see someone checking tickets. I have had cops checking tickets on probably half of all the light rail trips I have taken. And NMS has never seen this. Weird. But like I said, it's random.

As I understand it, NMS only goes on Sundays during Ravens games.

Um, they knew it was a problem in 2006, and I doubt it was new then or new to them now. Over the last couple of years they have started checking more regularly; I think it was an issue of manpower before. I think the ticket checking correlates with an increase in security over the last few years also (as cops are usually the ones checking tickets; at least they are when I ride it). Can someone confirm/deny that they've noticed more cops on the LR the last few years?

Interesting article here about the attitude problems the MTA employees seem to have.

I didn't realize Ramon Hernandez and Jay Payton were moonlighting at the MTA. :P

But seriously, who takes a "break" by stopping their light rail train in the middle of the tracks and sitting their on the train being a jerk to passengers for 10 minutes. Wouldn't it be a lot better for efficiency, customer service, and employee morale to schedule the breaks in a station at the end of the line so that the driver could go walk around Hunt Valley "Towne Centre" or something?