Spoonless

The Wire

I just finished Season 3, which was absolutely amazing. I have the first disc of Season 4, but am not letting myself watch it b/c I have a 9:30 class. All I can say is that I almost want to cry every time a season ends b/c it is over.

Just saw the third show of season five. I don't know about this season. So far I don't care much about any of the plot starters. They all annoy me. McNulty has turned into a cartoon character. The dialogue is awful. It needs to get started soon. :(

Episode 3 talk below......

I gotta tell you, I was just able to watch E3 and I really feel the opposite. I'm finding myself very interested to see if Jimmy (and now Lester too!!) can really pull this off. I mean, 2 dozen bodies in those vacant houses, all young black men and they STOP the investigation? I'm actually getting kind of giddy thinking about how this is going to play out. Although it was pretty funny how originally everything Jimmy was trying to do to get the "crimes" noticed was being ignored.

Also, there is a lot of other stuff going on besides what Jimmy is up to.

Templeton cooking stories and quotes.

The quote he made up in this episode could have extremely dire effects for Daniels.

Chris and Snoop torturing Butchie was brutal. I loved Butchie. I can't believe that the crown has gone so much to Marlo's head that he couldn't just let Omar be.

Marlo being totally fish out of water in the bank. outstanding scene.

Chris and Slim (the two number twos) *****ing about their bosses.

Does Omar have a new boyfried again? Seems he has a new one each season. I thought I heard him say Reynaldo's name though. Was that Reynaldo but he just looked that much different with his hair out of braids?

Omar's pain when he learned of Butchie. I'm stoked to see how Omar takes it to Marlo's crew.

A beautiful day at 6 Flags for Michael, Dukie and Bug (I loved the Batman mask). I'm glad they got a day to be kids again. But, sadly as soon as they get home Monk gave Mike all kinds of crap. I'm getting scared for these guys again.

Vondas totally ignoring Marlo's advances.

Norman mentioned in S4 that he used to work for The Sun, a nice in with the newsroom story.

Detective Barlow! We hadn't seen him since he stuck a phone against his crotch in the VERY FIRST EPISODE! He was the detective who worked the D'Angelo Barksdale murder case that got everything started.

if anybody else wants to comment, love to hear what you thought.

Episode 3 talk...

As I said, I really liked episode 3 as well. Now that McNulty has Lester on board, this is going to stop being drunk McNulty screwing around and not handling things properly and start becoming a calculated effort to get back up on Marlo. When McNulty said "We have to kill again"......chilling.

I was also really upset about Butchie, but part of me is kind of surprised he lasted as long as he did. I have always wondered how Omar has lasted this long relatively unscathed. Until this, there was the gunfight where one of his partners got wounded, and of course his boy in Season 1, but otherwise, unless I'm forgetting something, no one has really gone after his people, let alone him.

Pretty sure that was Reynaldo with his braids out, especially since it was a Spanish-speaking place that they had gone to. Omar and Marlo being so out of place down in the islands is strange. I can't imagine Omar being happy for long down there. Obviously Marlo was just making a quick trip. Kind of strange to me that they would choose to introduce Omar being on the island in the same episode where Marlo goes to an island, since they are likely not on the same island (one speaks French, the other Spanish).

In Season One, McNulty's friend at the FBI warned him that Daniels was dirty. Sounds like we might finally be about to find out what he was referring to. Maybe this whole season is shaping up to be an indictment on "the ends justifying the means." McNulty/Lester creating a serial killer to get Marlo. Templeton inventing a quote that could bring down Daniels (and who knows, maybe Daniels doesn't deserve to be considered for commissioner based on what he did). Killing people outside of the game (Butchie) in order to get at guys like Omar. A pattern seems to be developing, IMO.

Okay this thread got me to check this show out finally and I'm not seeing what's so great about it. Maybe it's because I've never been a big fan of cop dramas...that said, season one was good, but I'm on season two right now and I can't even pay attention to a whole episode. It's so boring, there are too many storylines, and I don't care at all about the dock guys. If I just skip this season entirely and go to season three will I miss too much backstory to follow?

Okay this thread got me to check this show out finally and I'm not seeing what's so great about it. Maybe it's because I've never been a big fan of cop dramas...that said, season one was good, but I'm on season two right now and I can't even pay attention to a whole episode. It's so boring, there are too many storylines, and I don't care at all about the dock guys. If I just skip this season entirely and go to season three will I miss too much backstory to follow?

I don't think you'll miss a whole heck of a lot. The port story line is pretty well self contained. You'll miss a little bit of the street and law stuff that will carry over. I don't know how far you are into S2, but you might miss Brother Mouzone, a pretty cool hitman from NYC and his interaction with Omar.

If you do decide to stick with S2, I think you'll find that there is some pretty intense pay off for all the ground work being laid in the first half dozen episodes. IIRC, the detail doesn't even get back together again for like 6 or 8 episodes into the season.

But, if you liked S1 you'd probably like S3 as much if not more.

I don't think you'll miss a whole heck of a lot. The port story line is pretty well self contained. You'll miss a little bit of the street and law stuff that will carry over. I don't know how far you are into S2, but you might miss Brother Mouzone, a pretty cool hitman from NYC and his interaction with Omar.

If you do decide to stick with S2, I think you'll find that there is some pretty intense pay off for all the ground work being laid in the first half dozen episodes. IIRC, the detail doesn't even get back together again for like 6 or 8 episodes into the season.

But, if you liked S1 you'd probably like S3 as much if not more.

I love season 2. And love the stevedores. Ignoring Season 2 is blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. ;)

I love season 2. And love the stevedores. Ignoring Season 2 is blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. ;)

I loved season 2 also. I took about 5 showers last night to wash away all the guilt from my comments :) .

I'm hoping bg might reconsider and finish out the season, but I know us Wire fans can come on a bit strong at times and possibly turn people off. I didn't want to do that. ;)

Episode 3 talk...

As I said, I really liked episode 3 as well. Now that McNulty has Lester on board, this is going to stop being drunk McNulty screwing around and not handling things properly and start becoming a calculated effort to get back up on Marlo. When McNulty said "We have to kill again"......chilling.

I was also really upset about Butchie, but part of me is kind of surprised he lasted as long as he did. I have always wondered how Omar has lasted this long relatively unscathed. Until this, there was the gunfight where one of his partners got wounded, and of course his boy in Season 1, but otherwise, unless I'm forgetting something, no one has really gone after his people, let alone him.

Pretty sure that was Reynaldo with his braids out, especially since it was a Spanish-speaking place that they had gone to. Omar and Marlo being so out of place down in the islands is strange. I can't imagine Omar being happy for long down there. Obviously Marlo was just making a quick trip. Kind of strange to me that they would choose to introduce Omar being on the island in the same episode where Marlo goes to an island, since they are likely not on the same island (one speaks French, the other Spanish).

In Season One, McNulty's friend at the FBI warned him that Daniels was dirty. Sounds like we might finally be about to find out what he was referring to. Maybe this whole season is shaping up to be an indictment on "the ends justifying the means." McNulty/Lester creating a serial killer to get Marlo. Templeton inventing a quote that could bring down Daniels (and who knows, maybe Daniels doesn't deserve to be considered for commissioner based on what he did). Killing people outside of the game (Butchie) in order to get at guys like Omar. A pattern seems to be developing, IMO.

S3 stuff

Totally with you Busta. McNulty's line, "We need to kill again" was chilling and hilarious. All of a sudden, now that Lester is on board with Jimmy, the whole scheme seems to have more credibility. It's like with Lester's brains they might be able to pull this off. However, this being The Wire, I'm sure both of them will have to suffer some serious consequences before this season is over. I wonder if Bunk will get in some trouble for not coming forward even though he is totally opposed?

Wondering what Burrell is going to do now. He's been holding this info on Daniels over his head (and the audience's head) since S1. He kinda seemed to have a bit of a broken look on his face standing in the office letting Rawls phone call ring out. Could he possible just let Daniels off the hook?

My first read of the conversation between Chris and Slim (while Marlo was getting school by Prop Joe and associate on the ways of laundering money) was that they were just griping about thier bosses. But maybe Chris was trying to be subtle about planting doubt in Slim's mind about the way Joe runs things? Kind of like Marlo did at the co-op meeting in Ep1. If this is true, would Slim bite?

S3 stuff

Wondering what Burrell is going to do now. He's been holding this info on Daniels over his head (and the audience's head) since S1. He kinda seemed to have a bit of a broken look on his face standing in the office letting Rawls phone call ring out. Could he possible just let Daniels off the hook?

There are a couple of ways it could play out. I'm thinking showing us Rawls at that gay bar in season three is going to lead to something this season... Some kind of scandal if he gets the temp post.

I loved season 2 also. I took about 5 showers last night to wash away all the guilt from my comments :) .

I'm hoping bg might reconsider and finish out the season, but I know us Wire fans can come on a bit strong at times and possibly turn people off. I didn't want to do that. ;)

I've watched 5 episodes now and it's starting to pickup, but it still isn't as good as season one IMO. I'll probably see it through to the end.

I've watched 5 episodes now and it's starting to pickup, but it still isn't as good as season one IMO. I'll probably see it through to the end.

Oh, you are definately not alone. Maybe not necessarily on the OH, but I think you'd find most Wire fans would rate Season 2 as their least favorite.

Personally, I think that each season 1 through 4 has gotten better, or improved the show, but that might have a lot to do with the fact that the story of the city keeps growing as more parts are added.

If you do see it through, I bet there is a good chance you find yourself sreaming at the television for something to happen/not happen before the season is over. Not a whole lot of TV shows make you feel this way.

check back in if you do finish the season, or when you get into S3.

Oh, you are definately not alone. Maybe not necessarily on the OH, but I think you'd find most Wire fans would rate Season 2 as their least favorite.

Personally, I think that each season 1 through 4 has gotten better, or improved the show, but that might have a lot to do with the fact that the story of the city keeps growing as more parts are added.

If you do see it through, I bet there is a good chance you find yourself sreaming at the television for something to happen/not happen before the season is over. Not a whole lot of TV shows make you feel this way.

check back in if you do finish the season, or when you get into S3.

Just finished it, I had a slow day yesterday :D

It definitely picked up but so far I've found in both season's one and two the show takes awhile to get started, then after it does it gets pretty good. I actually found myself caring about the dock boys by the end, especially for Frank who was really just a hardworking guy struggling to keep up with the change in the country's economy (less exports, less work). Omar's probably my favorite character among the gangsters, can't wait to see him go after Stringer.

One thing that does bother me a bit though is that they never seem to solve the big case. It may be more realistic this way, but in season 1, Avon got off pretty light, Stringer didn't get busted at all, and the crew is still operating. In season two, The Greek gets away. And speaking of The Greek, why is it significant that the FBI agent that was thought to be working in San Diego was actually moved to counter-terrorism? How does that explain why he's helping out The Greek?

I've got season three downloading right now and should have it finished pretty shortly, I'm really looking forward to it.

One thing that does bother me a bit though is that they never seem to solve the big case. It may be more realistic this way...

I think you just answered your own question. :) The lack of neatly tied-up endings is one reason the show is so great.