Spoonless

The Wire

The other day Bill Simmons had a podcast with Obama and at the end of the podcast he was asked who the greatest wire character of all time is to which the president replied: ""It's gotta be Omar, right? I mean, that guy is unbelievable, right?"

And related to that Grantland is currently running a march madness themed bracket based off of 32 characters from the show. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7646862/smacketology-#8212-tournament-determine-wire-greatest-character

That's gotta be the worst seeding I've ever seen (plus it screws up the bracket format, winner of 1 v. 8 should play winner of 4 v. 5, not 2 v. 7).

But using their brackets, I've got Omar, McNulty, Avon, and Stringer as the final four, with Stringer beating Avon to win.

That's gotta be the worst seeding I've ever seen (plus it screws up the bracket format, winner of 1 v. 8 should play winner of 4 v. 5, not 2 v. 7).

But using their brackets, I've got Omar, McNulty, Avon, and Stringer as the final four, with Stringer beating Avon to win.

Yeah I didn't look at the bracket until after I posted it, but I've already got a beef with it. Currently Prop Joe is crushing Frank Sobotka in their matchup, I know season 2 isn't as popular with some (it is my favorite though) there is no way you can tell me Prop Joe is a better character than Frank.

Yeah, for real. Also,

Bubbles is a 7 seed. Digest that for a second.

What? I would probably put Omar, Bubbles, Stringer, Avon, and Michael as 1,2,3,4, and 5.

I'll have to give this thing a look when I'm not on just my phone.

Michael a #2 seed? I like his character, but he doesn't even appear until Season 4. Same with Stringer and Avon.....they're gone after Season 3 and yet they're #1 seeds? I think to be a Top-2 seed you need to be around for more than just half of the series.

Michael a #2 seed? I like his character' date=' but he doesn't even appear until Season 4. Same with Stringer and Avon.....they're gone after Season 3 and yet they're #1 seeds? I think to be a Top-2 seed you need to be around for more than just half of the series.[/quote']

Disagree with this. That would limit it to the cops and a couple (literally, about three) street guys. Stringer's character is more interesting, more compelling, more important than someone like Rawls or Kima or even Bunk.

Disagree with this. That would limit it to the cops and a couple (literally, about three) street guys. Stringer's character is more interesting, more compelling, more important than someone like Rawls or Kima or even Bunk.

But then you end up with McNulty as #3, who I thought was the most central character to the entire series. I'd put him in Bunk's #1 place. And I'd put Marlo as a #1 too. He's there from Season's 3-6. And you see his character evolve over the years, starting out as a young thug, but over time comes to learn the business side of The Game. He's actually what I would have pictured Stringer being like if the show had been set a few years before Season 1.

Disregarding the bracket my top 4 is Omar, Stringer, Bubbles, and Lester. Really hard to choose, though. I recognize my choices are a homogenous group. No kids, no whites, no females.

Second four would be McNulty, Bunk, Michael, Prop Joe.

Edited by Icterus galbula
Additions

But then you end up with McNulty as #3' date=' who I thought was the most central character to the entire series. I'd put him in Bunk's #1 place. And I'd put Marlo as a #1 too. He's there from Season's 3-6. And you see his character evolve over the years, starting out as a young thug, but over time comes to learn the business side of The Game. He's actually what I would have pictured Stringer being like if the show had been set a few years before Season 1.[/quote']

Wow, I can't wait to see this season 6.

And Marlo was more Avon then String.