Sign in to follow this  
YardBirds13

ACC Discussion Thread

Am I the only one who thinks Sidney Lowe should lose his job?

NC State should be a better team, both in their current record and just overall year in and year out. They have history, play in a great basketball area, play in the ACC, a new arena, etc...There is no reason NC State can't battle with a team like MD year in and year out.

No reason VT should be better year in and year out.

Great? Really? First off, that area doesn't PRODUCE great basketball players, so he needs to recruit out of the area. He happens to have two of the 5 greatest programs in NCAA history right in his backyard.

I'd say it's harder to recruit well for a team like NC State than most other places.

That being said, he's never blown me away as an in-game coach and I agree with your point about VT.

Great? Really? First off, that area doesn't PRODUCE great basketball players, so he needs to recruit out of the area. He happens to have two of the 5 greatest programs in NCAA history right in his backyard.

I'd say it's harder to recruit well for a team like NC State than most other places.

That being said, he's never blown me away as an in-game coach and I agree with your point about VT.

Yes, great...That "triangle" down there may be the most basketball crazed 20 mile radius in the world.

NC State should be generated more excitement than they are.

Yes, great...That "triangle" down there may be the most basketball crazed 20 mile radius in the world.

NC State should be generated more excitement than they are.

Just because people are crazy about basketball down there doesn't mean jack when you have to recruit against dook and UNC.

Just because people are crazy about basketball down there doesn't mean jack when you have to recruit against dook and UNC.

I doubt NCSU is recruiting against Duke and UNC. Like VT has done, NCSU needs to find diamonds in the rough and "system" players. Going head to head with the big boys four Top-75 guys is not going to work for NCSU or VT. It may work for the occasional player but it's not a winning strategy.

NC State should be at least on the level of Wake Forest, and they aren't. Now, how much of that falls on the University for not improving the facilities and what not and how much falls on Lowe, I have no idea. They were pretty much at that level under Sendek, so I'd think that its probably moreso on Lowe.

You are missing my point..That area, this conference, their new arena, etc....All reasons that they should be able to bring recruits there.

No, they can't recruit with Duke and UNC but very few schools can.

Am I the only one who thinks Sidney Lowe should lose his job?

NC State should be a better team, both in their current record and just overall year in and year out. They have history, play in a great basketball area, play in the ACC, a new arena, etc...There is no reason NC State can't battle with a team like MD year in and year out.

No reason VT should be better year in and year out.

Agreed. I have though for a while now he shouldn't be there right not and should have been let go along time ago. There is no reason for them to be that poor year in and out.

You are missing my point..That area, this conference, their new arena, etc....All reasons that they should be able to bring recruits there.

No, they can't recruit with Duke and UNC but very few schools can.

Ok I think I see more where you are coming from now. The fact they play near dook and UNC should benefit them and it really doesn't.

I think that the sort of recruits NC State can go after simply see better alternatives. Maybe they don't want to play third fiddle in the area. Maybe they're simply unimpressed with Raleigh and the facilities.

I dunno. I think if I was a big time basketball player and the only two schools that offered me were NC State and, say, Georgia Tech, I'd prolly go to Tech.

Ok I think I see more where you are coming from now. The fact they play near dook and UNC should benefit them and it really doesn't.

I think that the sort of recruits NC State can go after simply see better alternatives. Maybe they don't want to play third fiddle in the area. Maybe they're simply unimpressed with Raleigh and the facilities.

I dunno. I think if I was a big time basketball player and the only two schools that offered me were NC State and, say, Georgia Tech, I'd prolly go to Tech.

I think they are afraid to be in photographs with Sidney Lowe and his hideous jacket.

North Carolina is somewhat of a hoops hotbed. John Wall became the first NC High School player of the year not to go to an ACC school. Normally it's Carolina (Paul, Randolph, Keith Gatlin, and Buck Williams being recent exceptions). State should be able to recruit with Duke and Carolina..Let's not forget that they and Carolina were the ACC's big boys for much of the 70s and early 80s until Valvano started bringing in bad kids..Besides a few good years under Sendek, they haven't recovered from all the crap Valvano did. Sidney Lowe was their 3rd or 4th choice at the time, and since he's a State guy/link to the '83 team, they're relucatant to get rid of him I would assume.

Not that I'm complaining, but there's no reason they should be this bad year in and year out.

Edited by beaner

North Carolina is somewhat of a hoops hotbed. John Wall became the first NC High School player of the year not to go to an ACC school. Normally it's Carolina (Paul, Randolph, Keith Gatlin, and Buck Williams being recent exceptions). State should be able to recruit with Duke and Carolina..Let's not forget that they and Carolina were the ACC's big boys for much of the 70s and early 80s until Valvano started bringing in bad kids..Besides a few good years under Sendek, they haven't recovered from all the crap Valvano did. Sidney Lowe was their 3rd or 4th choice at the time, and since he's a State guy/link to the '83 team, they're relucatant to get rid of him I would assume.

Not that I'm complaining, but there's no reason they should be this bad year in and year out.

For those of us who don't remember...can you explain "all the crap Valvano did"?

• Upvote 1

For those of us who don't remember...can you explain "all the crap Valvano did"?

Off the top of my head: 0% grad rate, Point shaving, illegal shoe and ticket sales by players, Chris Washburn. check out "Personal Fouls", which was a book by Peter Golenbock about the NC State scandals in the mid 80s..He "resigned" in '89 or '90 and the school placed themselves on probation. It was quite a mess at the time...

• Upvote 1

Thoughts on the first half of the VT - Duke game tonight.

Poor shooting by both teams, under 30% from the floor for both teams.

Lots of off the ball fouls, but they have gone both ways at least. Delaney getting a questionable charge call at the end of the first half is gonna have a big impact on this game. Thomas was way to far under the basket for that to be a charge, IMO.

VT really needs to defend the inbounds under the rim better. Duke converted at least three easy looks. Greenberg needs to get on his players about that, especially Delaney.

34 of Duke's 35 points have come from Singler, Scheyer, and Smith. Zoubec has played a great game, and VT really doesn't have the size to match up with him at all. Gonna need to get another foul on him early in the second. His 3 offensive rebounds in the first half all resulted in points.

Allen played out of control while he was in the game. 2 early fouls had him on the bench for the final 15 minutes of the half.

All things considered, VT was down 11 with 3 minutes left and could have easily quit on this game. Instead, they close on a 6-0 run to cut the lead to 5. Looking forward to an entertaining second half. Hopefully Allen and Delaney can stay on the court.

Zoubec picks up 2 early fouls in the second half. That's a huge relief.

Edit: They just credited Thomas with one of the fouls. 3 on each of Zou and Thomas is still beneficial.