PrivateO

Jim Delany says tournament expansion is "probable"

Just what we need...increased mediocrity! How many people here watch the NIT? Or those other 2 silly tournaments? Do we really need those teams watering down the tourney?

What is the real reason we don't watch the NIT?

Because UNC's in it! Right?

Right?

Sigh.

If the other 32 teams from the NIT were in the tourney, let's be real...people would watch. I...just don't like seeing a great thing get tampered with. It isn't broke. In fact, it's the least broken thing in sports, IMO.

The only thing I'd change is that I would love to have four "12-seed play-ins", but that's just me...and really, nobody agrees with me. :laughlol:

Because the teams aren't any good? Because they couldn't crack the top half of their conference? Because nobody cares if UNC can beat Dayton?

There are 344 Division 1 Basketball teams. The smaller conference tourneys will still have the same drama, but now the regular season champs will be rewarded for a great regular season.

I don't know, i think this is great for everyone.

North Carolina has a 1 seed this year...In their first game, instead of playing of Morgan St, they play the winner of Illinois and UCONN...Fair?

I am for expansion...Move it 72 teams and have 4 play in games for the 12 seeds or something like that.

Wow. Someone does agree with me, then.

Because the teams aren't any good? Because they couldn't crack the top half of their conference? Because nobody cares if UNC can beat Dayton?

YOu'd care if they were playing in the NCAA tourney, that's the point...Do you care if Northern Iowa can beat UNLV in December? Of course not, but you do in March, and you'd care about any game in the Tourney.

Because there is no chance of a National Championship.

Who cares? It is going to be 1 more game some teams are going to have to play. More teams will have to have "play-in" games, and it gives the higher seeded teams more of an advantage.

Because the Terps have already been knocked out of it? :D

Right, because over the last 15 years, the Terps have been in the NIT far more than the NCAA

YOu'd care if they were playing in the NCAA tourney, that's the point...Do you care if Northern Iowa can beat UNLV in December? Of course not, but you do in March, and you'd care about any game in the Tourney.
Because there is no chance of a National Championship.

Who cares? It is going to be 1 more game some teams are going to have to play. More teams will have to have "play-in" games, and it gives the higher seeded teams more of an advantage.

I don't know...to me, the excitement of potential upsets lies in their low frequency. Adding a bunch of cruddy teams that don't deserve to be in contention just dilutes the overall quality of play, and it makes each game less meaningful IMO. It's funny to me how people whine about the bowl system being so silly because crappy teams get to go to post season play, yet we want to add all of the crappy teams to an essentially perfect post season tournament. It's just beyond me why anyone would want to change anything significant about the tournament...

I don't know...to me, the excitement of potential upsets lies in their low frequency. Adding a bunch of cruddy teams that don't deserve to be in contention just dilutes the overall quality of play, and it makes each game less meaningful IMO. It's funny to me how people whine about the bowl system being so silly because crappy teams get to go to post season play, yet we want to add all of the crappy teams to an essentially perfect post season tournament. It's just beyond me why anyone would want to change anything significant about the tournament...

Again, it comes back to playing for the National Championship.

These football teams are not playing for a NC, so their games don't matter. Even the BCS games don't matter unless it is for the NC, IMO.

There still will be upsets. And this will give more ammo for the mid major teams to be able to go further in the tournament and spark more debate.

Was it diluted when they went from 32 to 64? Why is 64 the magic number but 96 can't be? You do know that 96 teams represents a smaller percentage of all D1 teams now than 64 teams did when they last expanded, right?

I'm neither for or against expansion, but I guarantee one thing: If they expand it, the tournament will still be just as great in every aspect. People will get all righteously indignant the first year and be against just because they are stubborn, but it will be every bit as exciting, and by year two or three, it will seem like it was always 96 teams, just like it now seems like it was always 64 teams.

• Upvote 2

Was it diluted when they went from 32 to 64? Why is 64 the magic number but 96 can't be? You do know that 96 teams represents a smaller percentage of all D1 teams now than 64 teams did when they last expanded, right?

I'm neither for or against expansion, but I guarantee one thing: If they expand it, the tournament will still be just as great in every aspect. People will get all righteously indignant the first year and be against just because they are stubborn, but it will be every bit as exciting, and by year two or three, it will seem like it was always 96 teams, just like it now seems like it was always 64 teams.

Well said Mack! I could not possibly agree more.

Well said Mack! I could not possibly agree more.
Actually, I just checked and I'm not sure that 96/D1 now > 64 / D1_1985. I had definitely heard sports radio or tv people say that before, though, but I guess they were wrong.

Rest of my point remains, though. I think a 96-team tournament, while different at first, would eventually be every bit as great and nostalgic as the 64-team tournament is. I strongly prefer the first couple rounds to the end of the tournament (unless the Terps are in it) anyway, so adding essentially a bigger first round would just make the first weekend that much more fun.