Old#5fan

Anybody Else Wonder Why DT Didn't Pinch Run For Atkins?

How do you know that Atkins didn't run on his own? I mean, how do you really know that.

I don't but for the sake of this argument I sure wish some reporter had asked him this question. If he did than it is all his fault (I agree). However, I doubt he would do this in such a crucial situation unless he missed a sign.

How do you know that Atkins didn't run on his own? I mean, how do you really know that.

Well, probably because anyone with any baseball sense or experience knows that when a runner goes on contact, that's a sure-fire sign of a set play called by the manager. A player with Atkins' speed doesn't take that chance on his own because he knows he'd get flamed for it.

Well, probably because anyone with any baseball sense or experience knows that when a runner goes on contact, that's a sure-fire sign of a set play called by the manager. A player with Atkins' speed doesn't take that chance on his own because he knows he'd get flamed for it.

Is the bolded part necessary? Baseball players never miss or confuse signs? That never happens?

Right and if DT called this play absent a squeeze it was stupid IMO and the second biggest reason next to the closer implosion in losing this game.

If you're running on contact why the hell won't you take a big lead.

If a squeeze is called why would you take a big lead?

Why won't you be running on contact when the hitter at the plate doesn't hit a GB 76.8% of the time for his career?

Why won't you be running on contact when the hitter at the plate doesn't hit a GB 76.8% of the time for his career?

If a squeeze is called you want a big lead because you are going or running at all costs, even if he pops it up. It is an irreversable decision. Same with running on contact.

Your last statement makes no sense. If Roberts hits a fly ball you sure as hell don't want to be "running on contact" from third base. You want to be holding waiting to tag up.:confused:

If you watch the replay, he takes off, and looks back real fast. I think at this point, as a guy who has played the game for awhile, he knew he had two choices: break back to the bag and DEFINITELY be out or try for home and hope the defense does something wrong. But he should have dropped the shoulder and Ray Fosse'd Navarro, though. But he had nowhere to go where that ball was hit.

He looked back to see where Longoria was so he could adjust his line. If you watch, he then veered to inside the foul line to try and put his body in between Longoira and Navarro. I think it was a contact play and he was told to run on any groundball. I disagree with the call, but he executed it very well from break to taking a good line home when he saw the ball bobbled.

I don't remember how many outs there were, but that's a spot where I'd expect to have him only going on a groundball through and back to the bag on a fly. Wasn't BAL at the top of the order?

So you don't get picked off on a snap throw with the third baseman playing even with the bag.

You don't run on contact there because there are no outs. You have two chances to hit a fly ball to knock you in. The guy behind Roberts has hit the snot out of the ball all game.

Don't want to be doubled-up on a linedrive and want to be able to get back to the bag to tag?

He looked back to see where Longoria was so he could adjust his line. If you watch, he then veered to inside the foul line to try and put his body in between Longoira and Navarro. I think it was a contact play and he was told to run on any groundball. I disagree with the call, but he executed it very well from break to taking a good line home when he saw the ball bobbled.

I don't remember how many outs there were, but that's a spot where I'd expect to have him only going on a groundball through and back to the bag on a fly. Wasn't BAL at the top of the order?

No outs (because of Izturis' hustle), Roberts and Jones up.

Don't want to be doubled-up on a linedrive and want to be able to get back to the bag to tag?

You take that risk when you run on contact.

Trembley could have pinch ran for Atkins, but regardless of who the runner would have been on third they were going to be hung out to dry on that particular hit. My only problem on the play was why didn't Atkins bowl the catcher over? That weak little slide to the right of the catcher did not endear him to me, that's for sure.

I completely agree...Atkins is a big boy...maybe trucking the catcher was the plan?...still, I don't blame Atkins or DT for the loss...a simple catch by Wieters saves a run, Tejada and Roberts go 0-5, our only runs were solo homeruns (not manufactured)...we have a lot to work on. Poor Millwood pitched his heart out.

No you don't. Just like you don't take the risk that the pitcher might get a comebacker. You have a second to register where the ball is going. You see the hit and then decide -- you aren't blindly running when you hear contact. At least, that's how I've seen it taught at every level through college. Haven't sat in on pro instruction, but I can't imagine it's any different on a "contact" play.

No you don't.

You run if its on the ground, freeze if its on a line, and tag if its in the air.

The run on contact play is as much to keep the rally going in that situation as it is to plate the run. If don't run on contact, you risk a double play and not advancing, leaving you with 3rd base and 2 outs. If you run, even if you're thrown out, you've still got 1st and 2nd with 1 out. The run expectancy is far higher with 1st and 2nd w/ 1 out than 3rd w/ 2 outs.

I guess he could have pinch run with Lugo, but Atkins isn't the slowest guy in the world. I don't think Lugo beats out that grounder.

If DT ordered him to run on contact then Atkins did nothing wrong whatsover. That was just a very dumb decision by DT.