Skeletor

I like the booing

Anybody who buys a ticket has every right to boo all they want.

Phillies fans have been proving this for years. It's sad to see Oriole fans acting that way. Yeah, it's somebody else's fault, the booing was deserved because of blah-blah-blah. It's still ugly and is not how Oriole fans acted before, even back when the team was lousy before they got good the first time. When guys wearing a Baltimore uniform are doing lousy, you shout encouragement and pray, you don't act like a goon. My fear is that, by the time the team gets good again, the general behavior of the fanbase will have eroded to the kind of crappy behavior you see elsewhere. Then, the press can quit talking about how the Oriole teams are lousy after a long tradition of being good, and can instead say the same thing about fan behavior. I hope this was a 1-time aberration, like the time when O's fans cheered when Mickey Mantle got hurt climbing the fence. It could well be just an aberration. I certainly hope so anyway...

We certainly find ourselves in a different era than the aberration you reference; this, I'd venture, makes it all the more likely that today is not an aberration if performance trends continue. As a collective we throw more money, stress, and emotion - especially anger - into the mix when it comes to watching our sports. We are so keyed up because we have so much invested in it, and as a result are more likely to lose perspective whilst bubbling over. That's just in "normal" losing situations. Throwing the recent performance history of the club under the light is just a whole other ball of wax.

I was very angry about the game, but when things like this happen I'm more likely to utter a salty expression than boo. I've actually gotten better at not even doing that. I seethed, most definitely, and did type some interesting things while chatting with my fiancée, but that's as far as it went. Had I been at the game I definitely would have had some choice things to say but don't think I would have booed, at least not during the early stages. It has to be really bad for me to boo. I just went on and checked out some of the Masters action, worked on grade reports for my students, and am doing my taxes (the federal, anyway). It's just about direction of energy.

Like you, I would not want to see Baltimore be considered in the same realm as "Philthadelphia" when it comes to its fans' behavior. It could be creeping in that direction, though. When I was at Salisbury (University), most of the Ravens fans I knew were positively obnoxious (full disclosure - I have the double masochistic streak of being an Orioles fan and a Redskins fan); on the whole they talked a lot of trash, whether there was anything to back it up with or not. Many regular folks have been the same way, though most of them have been on the young side as well. Throw on top of that the Ravens have a reputation for aggression on and off the field (just remarking about the obvious stuff that's disseminated through the media; this is not a personally-based epithet). It's more of these types of folks that will take up more of the stands at both stadia (in the case of those passionate about both the Ravens and Orioles) in the coming years.

A culture of reasoned arguments and good-natured interaction in the stands has been slowly ebbing for awhile; baseball is where one's most likely to still find it, but for how long, especially with the way things have stood from the performance aspect of the Orioles? That's not to mention the "ESPN" mindset so many, even casual fans that may only follow baseball, seem to have - use hyper-machismo and/or acerbic faux-wit without the benefit of nuance or judgment. Little else is known the younger one is, and all that sells, anyway, and people will do what sells. The simultaneous dumbing down and homogenization (they often go together anyway) of sports culture is as great a danger as anything else. Baltimoreans aren't throwing batteries and booing at the drop of a hat yet, and hopefully they won't. I fear, though, that it's only a matter of time before spectators everywhere in more sports behave in a fairly ugly fashion, win or lose, even more than they already have. We need to take a step back and get in check. Ask yourself: why is your team special? What is this team about? Who are you and why is this team important to you? What separates you from the rest?

Regardless of when the boos come about, who they're directed at, or any of their other aspects, booers and non-booers alike should be able to agree on something: the frustration that our different actions are a reflection of is undoubtedly justified.

• Upvote 1

It's not just for him. It's for MacPhail, it's for Angelos, It's for the people sitting in the seat next to you. We're not the Pirates, we're not the Royals. We've allowed the perception of our team to be "they're a small market in the toughest division in baseball who have no chance to compete." We're not a small market team, we're not poor. People cry for a salary cap while we used to have attendance marks over 3 million, we have a RSN, we have one of the best stadiums in baseball. Yet, we fans complain about the Yankees and the Red Sox and how much money they have. If you turn the clock back 12 years, we were in a very similar situation as both of those teams. They continued to win, we turned to ****. Yeah, NY has a huge market size, but to pull a Pedro and call them our daddy isn't what this organization was about for decades.

Every year, I tell my friends how excited I am about the start of the new season. They chuckle a little bit and say the O's suck. And I say, "Man, have you heard about (Roberts, Markakis, the way Guthrie pitched last year, Wieters, Bauer, Riley, etc., depending on the year)? They're about to turn the corner." Every year, I look like a fool. I'm tired.

All my friends are either Red Sox or Yankees fans.

Its maddening to have baseball arguments with them because after a while, the proof is in the pudding. Either the Orioles win, or they don't.

The Red Sox win.

The Yankees win.

We haven't in a long time.

Man, does it HURT.

It hurts because no one cares about BRob, Markakis, AJ or Wieters. Sure, baseball insiders do, but in general, whenever I speak of the merits of our squad, people shrug and show me the standings.

Then the conversation ends.

MSK

It's not just for him. It's for MacPhail, it's for Angelos, It's for the people sitting in the seat next to you. We're not the Pirates, we're not the Royals. We've allowed the perception of our team to be "they're a small market in the toughest division in baseball who have no chance to compete." We're not a small market team, we're not poor. People cry for a salary cap while we used to have attendance marks over 3 million, we have a RSN, we have one of the best stadiums in baseball. Yet, we fans complain about the Yankees and the Red Sox and how much money they have. If you turn the clock back 12 years, we were in a very similar situation as both of those teams. They continued to win, we turned to ****. Yeah, NY has a huge market size, but to pull a Pedro and call them our daddy isn't what this organization was about for decades.....

BING-f'ing-O!!!

Maybe there's one positive way to look at this season so far. We would 3-1 right now if we even had a remotely decent closer and we'd all be excited as can be.

The more I keep thinking about it the more I keep thinking, Gonzalez is pretty much the sole reason I'm down on this season so far.

It's always something. If if's, woulda's and maybe's were wins, the Angelos era would have been legendary.

I hated the booing. They booed him when he was introduced pregame. Booed him throughout the 9th. It's just pointless and moronic. I actually felt ill as a hardcore Orioles fan. 75% of the people in the stands are idiots who don't even watch the O's after the first week of the season so it's just obnoxious. Drunken morons.

That might be true. The 75% that used to fill the stands probably gave up all hope 4-5 years ago.

I've watched a lot of home openers, and I can't recall an Oriole player or

coach ever being booed on opening day.

That booing was mild to what I was saying about him in my living room last night.

But seriously, he needs to cool his jets and do bullpen sessions for a while to figure his stuff out - not in 9th inning situations with a one run lead.

I thought the booing during the player introductions was a bit too soon. But I booed and booed loud when he blew the save yesterday.

Gonzalez has cost this team 2 wins already, 4 games into the season. He didn't just blow 2 saves by facing the heart of the opposing order and/or give up seeing eye grounders...he's bouncing the ball over the plate and grooves fastballs down the middle of the plate. He almost blew the save Thursday night, too. He looks horrible...like he's suffering a breakdown. Get him out of there. Now.

This year is about wins and losses and fans know that. They don't expect the team to go to the playoffs but they want to see a difference in the standings and when you have a closer who can't throw a ball over the plate without it bouncing or being over the middle of the plate, fans have a right to boo.

I thought the booing during the player introductions was a bit too soon. But I booed and booed loud when he blew the save yesterday.

Gonzalez has cost this team 2 wins already, 4 games into the season. He didn't just blow 2 saves by facing the heart of the opposing order and/or give up seeing eye grounders...he's bouncing the ball over the plate and grooves fastballs down the middle of the plate. He almost blew the save Thursday night, too. He looks horrible...like he's suffering a breakdown. Get him out of there. Now.

This year is about wins and losses and fans know that. They don't expect the team to go to the playoffs but they want to see a difference in the standings and when you have a closer who can't throw a ball over the plate without it bouncing or being over the middle of the plate, fans have a right to boo.

Exactly. This isn't George Sherrill giving up a bloop and a blast, which can happen multiple times to any closer. This is something completely different. He is having trouble locating the ball, the plate and the catcher.

I doubt he could hit the mascot now.

His history states a good pitcher - but it certainly is not showing right now.

Yes I booed him during intros and during his third straight horrible outing.

I paid for my ticket and I have the right to cheer and boo for anyone I want. He is a man and should be able to take it.

The guy is simply horrible. He blew 7 of 17 save chances last year. I would release him today if he didn't have all that money owed to him.

I guess Gonzo took the rath of a feed up fanbase. The team who drafted so poorly till recently. Who spends very little on international players. A team who trots out retreads and hasbeens. MacPhail,the great GM who has not signed a pitcher who has been any good in free agency. So what do we do with Gonzo, we have him for two years? Koji and Gonzo have not been the best free agent signings. I guess we will blame Trembley for all of this. We can never blame the GM he is the best.

I was there yesterday and didn't boo. It's not that I'm against booing at times but yesterday wasn't the right time for me. Not 4 games into the season and 3 games into Gonzalez's O's career. I was as nervous as anyone else when he entered the game and as mad as anyone when he blew the save but I felt sorry for him more than anything else. It's obvious that he is struggling not just mechanically but mentally. I guess the old player and coach came out in me but I had more of the mindset like the players out there who all came up as he was leaving to give him a pat on the butt. This is a guy we are going to need to get back on track over the course of the long season and he's a mess right now.

The vitriol is raging on OH, and within most Orioles fans, because in the first four games of the season almost everything that has been wrong with the Orioles for the last 12+ years has played out before our eyes. We were told that this year would be different, that the team had turned the corner and was on its way to being competitive, yet we sit there and watch the same old Marx Brothers comedy being played out on the field. If things don’t turn around quickly, I can see this team losing even more of its already dwindling fan base. It also wouldn’t surprise me to see a quick shake-up in the Orioles dugout.