PrivateO

Rosenthal's Rebuttal: "Orioles are cuckoo for not hiring Ripken"

Eddie is one of my favorite people to talk with.

WeamsDoesn'tLuvKen.

And that is the clean version.

I had a conversation with Eric Gregg up in the Vet where he bartended after he got booted from the Ump Assoc. I asked him who was the biggest jerk in baseball. He did not know I was an Orioles fan. His answer: Eddie Murray. He said he was arrogant and just not a very friendly person.

Well, I have to say that I agree with Ken on this one. Nice to see him call out PA like that, all those guys should be welcomed by the team and if Cal wants to come back and help the O's, let him.

People keep saying this stuff but who says that Brooks and Frank want some kind of role within the organization? Just because they don't have one doesn't mean Angelos is trying to keep them from having one.

This article was a crock. He basically calls both Cal Ripken and Peter Angelos liars. He trashes a HOFer and one of the most respected baseball players of all time. WTF is he thinking? Why does he feel that he should be privy to a private conversation between two grown men?

He pretty much said that they wouldn't comment on what their conversation was about so he chose to run with his story anyway because his three unnamed sources. All he does is come off sounding like a condescending douche.

I'm not saying that he made this up. I'm just think that he chose to believe some suspect information. He could have just said that he stands by his story and trusts his sources. I fail to see his reasoning behind this piece of hack journalism.

Edited by ledzepp8

I had a conversation with Eric Gregg up in the Vet where he bartended after he got booted from the Ump Assoc. I asked him who was the biggest jerk in baseball. He did not know I was an Orioles fan. His answer: Eddie Murray. He said he was arrogant and just not a very friendly person.

Eddie stopped talking to reporters after he was misquoted a couple of times. And he didn't like umpires because most of them... including Eric Gregg... wouldn't know a strike if it hit them in the head. Other than that, I'm sure Eddie liked everyone else......;)

Follow me here.

Ripken: “I have met with Andy (MacPhail, the Orioles’ president of baseball operations) and Peter on a number of occasions to discuss many subjects. Ultimately, our discussions have turned to baseball, the Orioles and me. I have enjoyed those talks very much, and yes, the subject has been broached about me potentially joining the organization. I look forward to those talks continuing.”

Lets say Ripken said, "I am thinking of joining the org in a few years time". And "He looks forward to those talks continuing". I could easily interpret that as they are setting up something in the future when MacPhail goes and takes Bud Selig's position when Selig retires.

And then

Angelos to ESPN.com: “Quite simply, Cal Ripken did not offer to become part of the Orioles’ organization in any secondary position, such as manager or as an assistant to Andy MacPhail or in some kind of support role of MacPhail. If he wants to make such a proposal, I’d like to hear about it.”

Following my reasoning above, maybe Cal has not offered to actually work for the Orioles right now, rather setting it up for the future. So, in this case, Angelos is not lying. Or maybe Ripken is talking about buying the Orioles in a few years.

All plausible. Yet, I guess Rosenthal doesn't see that because then it isn't a story.

It makes perfect sense to me that the Orioles wouldn't want Ripken in a full time "on the field" capacity, since it appears that this whole Coaching staff is going to be shown the door after this season.

Another point that Rosenthal didn't return to:

"Mr. Angelos never said that he didn't want me to get credit for any success that the club might have. That's just not true," Ripken said

Further illustrating my point:

When he retired, Ripken said he wanted to get back into the major leagues in some capacity once his two children were grown. His youngest, Ryan, is a sophomore at Gilman.

"With my son Ryan approaching the end of high school in a couple of years, I have been thinking more seriously about a return to the big league game," Ripken said in the statement. "I am more excited now to explore all opportunities and find the right situation that could lead me to the next phase of my life."

"Andy MacPhail is in charge of baseball operations for the club," Angelos said. "There has never been any interest in my part or discussions where his authority in running the baseball operations would be shared with anyone."

Again, this is simply explained as Ripken is setting himself up for a stint with the Orioles down the road if/when MacPhail takes Selig's job.

Edited by paulcoates

Eddie stopped talking to reporters after he was misquoted a couple of times. And he didn't like umpires because most of them... including Eric Gregg... wouldn't know a strike if it hit them in the head. Other than that, I'm sure Eddie liked everyone else......;)

The same could be said about all ballplayers if that were true. Yet he singled out Murray.

Wrong on this one Moose. We (OH) are not alleged national sports writers - and one would think his position means a higher standard. For him to spend this much time ripping (no pun intended) into PA and Cal because some people do not take his word as the end all is childish and unprofessional. Just lost any respect I had...

Well he's standing by his sources, therefore he feels like he has some dirt that the rest of us don't have. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say his sources are correct.

So what?

Well he's standing by his sources, therefore he feels like he has some dirt that the rest of us don't have. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say his sources are correct.

So what?

I agree Moose. It's not the end of the world.

I like Ken Rosenthal, partly because he still lives in MD and was a beat writer for the Birds. If he is a bit harsh on the O's... and not that the organization doesn't deserve it... I think it it is not unlike a father who coaches his son and feels like he has to ride him a little harder than the other players because he knows those players are looking to see how he treats his son.

Good points.

But Rosenthal brings up a lot of points here, a lot of points that have been echoed on the OH...specifically why does this team not embrace its past and it's legendary players?

You're right that Rosenthal brings up some good points.

It'd be nice for everybody if he could just leave it as his reasonable and intriguing questions that he raises, but he has to take it to a childish and unprofessional attack on Angelos and Ripken. With all the legitimate things you can say negative about Angelos, I don't understand why people would marginalize their points by making asinine and pointless extraneous criticisms that have no real merit.

This could have been a very good piece exposing a lot of things wrong with the way Angelos continues to operate. Instead most people will see the hack job part of it and dismiss the legitimate part.

• Upvote 1

Isn't it kind of hard to hire people who don't want back in baseball, or aren't ready to return yet. Cal said he wants to wait until his son graduates, but I guess Ken R. knows more about Cal then the man himself! Plus if he would look, we do have several former Orioles working with the team, Palmer, Flannagan, Bordick etc.

I like Ken Rosenthal, partly because he still lives in MD and was a beat writer for the Birds. If he is a bit harsh on the O's... and not that the organization doesn't deserve it... I think it it is not unlike a father who coaches his son and feels like he has to ride him a little harder than the other players because he knows those players are looking to see how he treats his son.

If that's the case than he's the coach of the Yankees in Bad News Bears who just smacked his kid on the field.

So it's all much ado about nothing.

I still think there is truth on each side but it is clear that Rosenthal is just kicking the O's when they are down and knows that every non-Oriole fan who reads this article will be eating out of the palm of his hand, siding with him.

But whatever. I am glad it is over with.