Sign in to follow this  
SurhoffRules

Hobgood's Start Tonight in Salisbury

I don't think he hit the strike zone with his change up but he only threw it two or three times that I could tell.

Actually it looks like he got a swinging strike with the change on the 2nd pitch in the first sequence. Nice pitch on the outside corner.

Actually it looks like he got a swinging strike with the change on the 2nd pitch in the first sequence. Nice pitch on the outside corner.

That was an amazing three pitch strike out and he did get the swing and miss on that change (it had GREAT drop) but he never threw it in the zone strike. It's not meant as a knock on Hobgood as he's still working on the pitch and it could be a very good one if he gets that action on it consistently (I should note the others didn't drop nearly as much, I just happened to catch the best one of the night). It's just an observation, nothing more.

Quotes from Melewski:

"I thought it was a really good outing. My fastball control wasn't as good as the last time I pitched against them, but it was good enough along with the combination of my curveball being really on tonight.

"I felt really good and located the fastball well enough. Broke a few bats vs. right-handed hitters and overall felt really good," the 19-year-old righty said.

Hobgood threw 92 pitches and retired the last seven batters he faced.

He has issued one walk with ten strikeouts over his last two outings.

Hobgood said the Shorebirds have already developed a winning feeling in their clubhouse.

"Our chemistry is great. Everyone gets along with each other and messes around. We like each other, the chemistry is really good. From what I've heard it's the talk of the four minor league teams we've got. I think we are going to have a really good year."

http://masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2010/04/matt-hobgood-talks-about-his-start-tonight.html

"Our chemistry is great. Everyone gets along with each other and messes around. We like each other, the chemistry is really good. From what I've heard it's the talk of the four minor league teams we've got. I think we are going to have a really good year."

Awesome, let's hope they keep it up. :)

That was an amazing three pitch strike out and he did get the swing and miss on that change (it had GREAT drop) but he never threw it in the zone strike. It's not meant as a knock on Hobgood as he's still working on the pitch and it could be a very good one if he gets that action on it consistently (I should note the others didn't drop nearly as much, I just happened to catch the best one of the night). It's just an observation, nothing more.

Also, it's just one pitch, but it looks like he doesn't have quite the same arm speed with the change as with the FB. Nice movement, though.

Anyone who was there, does he seem to have that bulldog mentality that people spoke about last year?

I was sitting behind the scouts with the mentality gun, and Hobgood sat at boxer most of the game, occasionally touching bull terrier. He only muscled up to bulldog once in the game.

Matzek sits at bulldog and touches bull mastiff. Also, he's paper trained and has all his shots.

• Upvote 2

Hobgood sat at boxer most of the game, occasionally touching bull terrier. He only muscled up to bulldog once in the game.

I'm picturing a Jack Russell terrier myself, from his interview with Melewski. Sounds like he was having a great time out there tonight "getting the ball" and setting down 21 of 24 BF over 7 innings of shutout work. Who wouldn't be chasing their tail?

And, the one time he muscled up to bulldog? I'd bet money it was against Skipworth who got the HR off him last game. You didn't see that happen this time, did you? In his 3AB against Hobgood, he had 2Ks and a GO.

THAT'S the bulldog in Hobgood.

One stat I really like -- 92 pitches in 7 IP. Most 19-year olds are not that pitch-efficient.

I agree, having only 3 baserunners helps.

I was sitting behind the scouts with the mentality gun, and Hobgood sat at boxer most of the game, occasionally touching bull terrier. He only muscled up to bulldog once in the game.

Matzek sits at bulldog and touches bull mastiff. Also, he's paper trained and has all his shots.

ROFLMAO! :rofl:

Here's some video from tonight's game. As I said before I'll post the HD cuts once I get somewhere with a decent connection.

Hogbood - 4th Inning - 0 Out - Strikeout

Hobgood - 4th Inning - 1 Out - Strikeout

Hobgood - Pitching Motions - 3rd Base View

Smith - Lefty on Lefty

Townsend

I'm going to try to go see Beal tomorrow morning if the weather holds up.

Great video! I especially appreciate the multiple angles as well as being able to see where the ball ended up from behind the plate.

I think it's amazing that a guy out of high school is already mixing up a fastball, changeup and curveball to get Ks at the low-A level. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the kid at the plate, wondering what the heck just happened. :laughlol:

Brief writeup from ESPN Daily Futures

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/news/story?page=dailyfutures100421&addata=2009_insdr_mod_front_xxx_xxx

Living Up To Expectations

Matt Hobgood, RHP, Baltimore Orioles (Low-A Delmarva)

Monday's stats: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K

Hobgood was seen as an overdraft by many when the Orioles took him with the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft, but what he lacked in ceiling, he countered with as much certainty as a high school arm can provide. At 6-foot-4 and 245 pounds, he has a frame built to eat innings, and he has well above-average command and control of slightly above-average stuff. On Monday night, he sat at 88-92 mph with his fastball, showcased a true plus curveball, and even broke out a solid changeup that projects as big league average. He could move quickly.

I love the glowing reports.

A big curve that he can throw for strikes is a major weapon that should serve him well all of the way to the majors.

A boring fastball with a lot of movement but 88-92 velocity seems to be a potential weapon with more velocity, or a Bergesen-esque groundball machine that MUST be well located. Similar to Britton, adding a few MPH would seem to do a lot for his prospect status.

The change seems to be a work in progress, as expected.

His command appears to be at least good, which is a nice sign for a young pitcher.

So, it's a nice outing but I can see how many think he's a #3 and not a future #1. It's obviously way too early to know how his FB and CH will develop, so that's what I'll be looking for.

So, it's a nice outing but I can see how many think he's a #3 and not a future #1. It's obviously way too early to know how his FB and CH will develop, so that's what I'll be looking for.

Though they are very different pitchers, this comment is one reason I have likened Hobgood to Matusz. When drafted, people thought Matusz was a 3 worst case and a potential 1/2 - obviously Joe Jordan expected the better case. There seems to be a similar consensus on MH.

It will be nice to see Hobgood add a few ticks to the FB to turn that into a plus pitch.

It's been a relatively calm thread with no one as far as I can tell clamoring for or hinting a promotion is due. If MH is going to continue putting up donuts (or at least very positive results), I wonder if our FO will leave him in DelMarva all year.