Sign in to follow this  
RZNJ

Hobgood, Matzek, Turner, Miller, and Wheeler

Another positive:

His makeup is off the charts.

Still trying to figure who should get fired for getting that observation from him. Because showing up late a couple weeks after signing because he wanted to attend the ESPY's and showing up out of shape doesn't jump out as off the chart makeup attributes.

Looks like a regular high school kid. Not a "Professional" that is wanting to start it off on the right foot.

Honestly, I agree with you. I just reported what I was told because I never saw the kid pitch or met the kid, but honestly, maybe the Orioles should adopt the "Actions speak Louder than Words" creed because this is not the first "Off the chart" makeup kid who actions certainly do not back up his words.

He's young, and I'm hoping a little maturity and this season's struggles will go a long way towards him because I honestly beleive he wants to do well, but now he knows he's going to have to put the effort in all year long to make it happen.

While those picks may have missed, they obviously aren't as high profile as a 5th overall pick, nor was there consensus as to what select group of players were worthy of these late round picks.

Giving overslot to a 10th round pick and having that guy struggle is nothing like significantly overdrafting and possibly completely whiffing on a top 5 pick.

I have zero problems with misses on late round picks, even if you go overslot. Those guys are going to miss, even the bigger bonus ones, 75% of the time if not more. We're talking about 2nd-4th round talents we get later in the draft. The success rate for 2nd-4th round draft picks is not very high at all.

I won't argue this all nor was I trying to. What I was showing was almost all of Jordan's "high profile" picks in 2009 have not had a good year (you can argue Townsend was despite his multiple injuries).

I won't argue this all nor was I trying to. What I was showing was almost all of Jordan's "high profile" picks in 2009 have not had a good year (you can argue Townsend was despite his multiple injuries).
Yeah, sorry, I deleted that. Not sure what I read, but it wasn't what you were talking about.

What is this about the ESPY's? Can someone explain that or at least point me in the right direction.

He was nominated for an ESPY and went. It delayed his reporting last summer.

What is this about the ESPY's? Can someone explain that or at least point me in the right direction.

Highschool athlete of the year IIRC.

He was nominated for an ESPY and went. It delayed his reporting last summer.

He signed 6/27 and reported to Bluefield 6/28. Since he was already assigned to a team, I'm sure the organization had to give approval for him to even attend this event in mid-July:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2009/07/matt-hobgood-returns-to-socal-for-gatorade-award.html

He signed 6/27 and reported to Bluefield 6/28. Since he was already assigned to a team, I'm sure the organization had to give approval for him to even attend this event in mid-July:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2009/07/matt-hobgood-returns-to-socal-for-gatorade-award.html

Just want to say I don't fault him for going, who wouldn't especially if you are a high school kid. But if your "make up is off the charts", I would think you wouldn't go. I thought it caused ~2 week delay from him reporting or signing. If it was just a day, that is a non-issue.

Seems like the only viable place for a Matzek comment, but with the recent discussion about Matusz in the main section I thought I'd bring something up...

The Matusz/Matzek comparison is starting to come more and more to form as Matzek is striking out a batter per inning but is also walking 6/9IP. Just like Matusz, his secondaries are good enough to get the swinging strikeouts but he's still learning to throw them in the zone. He's got a 2.99 ERA and is looking pretty good in the Sally league.

Seems like the only viable place for a Matzek comment, but with the recent discussion about Matusz in the main section I thought I'd bring something up...

The Matusz/Matzek comparison is starting to come more and more to form as Matzek is striking out a batter per inning but is also walking 6/9IP. Just like Matusz, his secondaries are good enough to get the swinging strikeouts but he's still learning to throw them in the zone. He's got a 2.99 ERA and is looking pretty good in the Sally league.

Especially with the fact that Matzek's velocity has reverted back to pre senior HS season levels, topping out in the low 90's. I think Matusz is a fantastic comp. Crazy thing is even though Matzek is throwing maybe 1-2 MPH harder than Hobby, his K's are still way up compared to Hobs....

Especially with the fact that Matzek's velocity has reverted back to pre senior HS season levels, topping out in the low 90's. I think Matusz is a fantastic comp. Crazy thing is even though Matzek is throwing maybe 1-2 MPH harder than Hobby, his K's are still way up compared to Hobs....

Haven't seen him live, but I know Stotle knows a fantastic scouting guy that does the Sally circuit, I should see what he has seen of him.

That BS about him throwing 95-96 was just that, I told you that then, people do that and start to drum up fake stats for HS kids since they aren't tracked and try to get more money. That's how he was asking for $6m +, COL called his bluff.

I'd be willing to bet money that 90% of his K's are coming on his secondaries, those are his swing and miss pitches, but his fastball is pretty good if I recall hearing correctly, so when his control is on with that he could be getting a few while people are sitting waiting on the curve and change.

I just really like guys with good secondaries and that know how to use them, so it'll be fun to watch him develop. Just reminded me to check in on him when we were talking Matusz the other night.

Of course there's also the $1.89 million he gave to Cameron Coffey and Michael Olhman. Add in the other $900K he gave Mychal Givens (Givens has major skeptics as to whether he can stay at SS and his bat doesn't project well elsewhere) and the initial returns on his 2009 draft and nothing less than a disaster.

It's obviously very early and Coffey (has now had shoulder and elbow concerns before he hit 20) and Givens have been hurt, but Ohlman and Hobgood's performances have been sub par for guys with supposedly great upside. With Cowan and Henry also hurt, Townsend looking about as durable as Mr. Glass, and Tolliver throwing in the mid-upper 80s, last year's draft that sounded so good when we looked at the upside looks like the Titanic of draft classes after year one.

This makes me want to cry.

Haven't seen him live, but I know Stotle knows a fantastic scouting guy that does the Sally circuit, I should see what he has seen of him.

That BS about him throwing 95-96 was just that, I told you that then, people do that and start to drum up fake stats for HS kids since they aren't tracked and try to get more money. That's how he was asking for $6m +, COL called his bluff.

Hmmm...I don't know about that. The report about Matzek's velocity spike were from Keith Law. I know he personally saw him a couple of times as well and if he didn't actually see him throw in the mid-90's, I doubt the source of his information was from somebody who had a vested interest in getting Matzek more money.

In additon, there are differences in the mechanics of Matzek's 2010 delivery and 2009 delivery. The Rockies have slowed his tempo, shortened his stride and turned him into a little more of a tall-and-fall guy rather than somebody who drifts through his balance points. Those are factors that can have an impact on one's velocity and it seems to be a theme this year for various organization's.

"Smooth" out a pitcher's delivery, slow them down, and then wonder where the velocity has gone.