ChaosLex

A commenter ruffles Roch's feathers

The guy wants the media to represent the voice of the fan, and I think that is a good point to make.

Think about the press in NY, Boston, LA, Chicago, etc... They are known to have very critical media guys and share the voice of the common fan. They ask the questions that piss off players, managers and owners.

We don't have that here. Rosenthal was that guy but everyone hated him because he was "too critical". Well he was right.

Now, the Oriole malaise has infected the media too.

I agree with everything you're saying here and I said that I agreed with that part of the post.

I just disagreed with the "holding (management) accountable" portion. That's just a guy venting because he wants to see people punished for making him feel bad. It's emotional and irrational, so I called him out on that part of his post. If he had stopped before the last graph, I wouldn't have had a single problem with it.

I check in on Roch's stuff periodically, but he really turned me off with his short, pithy responses to the Dominican Prospect League story this December.

My question is, why bother having a medium for communicating with the fan base if you can't be bothered to answer tough OR well thought out questions? The guy gets to cover baseball for a living and he acts like he's inconvenienced when someone asks him something tough or pointed. Poor Roch....

:newcry::newcry::newcry::002_scry::newcry::newcry::newcry:

Jeff brings up some good points.

He certainly does.

But if I'm a reporter in the press room, I'm not going to risk that gig to feel like I'm putting the organization's feet to the fire. Every single one of the men and women that cover the O's have a dream job. Why risk it? They've all worked very hard to get where they are, and with the dozens (if not quite litterally hundreds) of folks behind them that would give their [insert quote from Bull Durham here] to be in their position, why would they wear out their welcome?

Besides, Roch is hardly an O's apologist. That quiz last week was a verbal ass-whipping for the players. It bordered on insulting, if you ask me. He's not afraid to put it like it is. But he's also not a baseball professional, he probably doesn't know the extreme interal operations of a baseball organization, and he's professional enough in his position that he won't pretend that he does.

We all have the luxury (most of us have the luxury) of sitting behind a faceless online handle while spouting off all of the things that the O's are doing wrong, play armchair GM, and complain about the lack of premium talent on the roster. It's fun to talk about trades and musing about what packages it would take to land so-and-so, but luckily for us, it's not our livlihood. I think there are plenty of guys on this board that know a ton about baseball. We have a vast and impressive wealth of knowledge on this board, and I've learned more in my few years posting here than I did in all of my playing days put together. But I feel confident in saying that none of us could run the O's nearly as successfully as Andy MacPhail.

If we can, or if Jeff can, then there's a much bigger problem than our 4-18 record.

• Upvote 1

I thought the commenter did so in a responsible and rational way. Why DOESN'T the press ask these questions? You know they are thinking it. I love Roch, and I think he does a great job. But the guys in the post game press conference need to ask these questions. They need to ask WHY MacPhail did not throw $200 million at Tex. They need to ask WHY Jones is leading off. They need to ask MacPhail WHY we don't sign premium talent rather than making excuses that we can't spend like the big boys.

I mean, come on. Holliday, Bay, Figgins...none of the bigger name bats signed with the "big boys" in the AL East this past offseason. None of them. Its time for this organization to start answering for itself, and the only way that will happen is if the questions are asked.

Again, that's not what I was referring to. Yes, the media has to ask those questions because it's their job. However, it is not in their job description to "hold (management) accountable." That job is for AM (for baseball operations) and PA (for AM).

I agree with everything you're saying here and I said that I agreed with that part of the post.

I just disagreed with the "holding (management) accountable" portion. That's just a guy venting because he wants to see people punished for making him feel bad. It's emotional and irrational, so I called him out on that part of his post. If he had stopped before the last graph, I wouldn't have had a single problem with it.

He may have worded it in a way that sounded emotional but I think the media should play that kind of role to an extent.

I think a question like "Adam Jones has a OBP of .228, why are you still batting him lead off, Dave?"

Dave probably won't like the question -- but it should definitely get asked.

He certainly does.

But if I'm a reporter in the press room, I'm not going to risk that gig to feel like I'm putting the organization's feet to the fire. Every single one of the men and women that cover the O's have a dream job. Why risk it? They've all worked very hard to get where they are, and with the dozens (if not quite litterally hundreds) of folks behind them that would give their [insert quote from Bull Durham here] to be in their position, why would they wear out their welcome?

Besides, Roch is hardly an O's apologist. That quiz last week was a verbal ass-whipping for the players. It bordered on insulting, if you ask me. He's not afraid to put it like it is. But he's also not a baseball professional, he probably doesn't know the extreme interal operations of a baseball organization, and he's professional enough in his position that he won't pretend that he does.

We all have the luxury (most of us have the luxury) of sitting behind a faceless online handle while spouting off all of the things that the O's are doing wrong, play armchair GM, and complain about the lack of premium talent on the roster. It's fun to talk about trades and musing about what packages it would take to land so-and-so, but luckily for us, it's not our livlihood. I think there are plenty of guys on this board that know a ton about baseball. We have a vast and impressive wealth of knowledge on this board, and I've learned more in my few years posting here than I did in all of my playing days put together. But I feel confident in saying that none of us could run the O's nearly as successfully as Andy MacPhail.

If we can, or if Jeff can, then there's a much bigger problem than our 4-18 record.

That's all good and fine, but why can't Roch (or any reporters, for that matter) actually asks the organization, manager, and players legitimate questions? The Jones question is a legitimate question. Why was Atkins signed is a legitimate question. Why not Hughes in the beginning of the season is a legitimate question. Why use Albers 3 days in a row is a legitimate question. Why was Gonzalez given a free pass to close in the beginning of the season when his mechanics were completely out of whack and he was injured is a legitimate question.

The whole idea of the press holding the organization accountable is absurd. What can they do, rip them for a decade-plus of losing? Doesn't everyone already know that? Does this person really believe that DT or AM are going to change their philosophies or styles if there's an article written in the paper or a question asked at a presser?

It's really irritating when people project their frustration on to other people. "I'm pissed because they're losing and it doesn't look like the players are frustrated, so obviously they don't care!" "I'm frustrated with all the losing and the media isn't lighting a fire under management, so obviously they don't care that I care so much!" Can't we just be smart about something?

Sorry to rant. I agree with all of his earlier points, but I think he went too far with this last graph.

The press can and should do thier jobs. They should be digging around finding information the Orioles are with holding. For example, if it is true that the front office has people happy with the status quo, it is job of the press to connect the dots, name names, and let the truth be known.

This is what Jeff is asking about. He wants to know if anyone is actually doing this.

He may have worded it in a way that sounded emotional but I think the media should play that kind of role to an extent.

I think a question like "Adam Jones has a OBP of .228, why are you still batting him lead off, Dave?"

Agreed 100%.

Dave is a manager, and he should be asked questions relating to managing. When Dave makes idiotic decisions on a continuous basis (or even in a single instance), he should be held accountable both to the fans, to the press, and to the organization.

The whole idea of the press holding the organization accountable is absurd. What can they do, rip them for a decade-plus of losing? Doesn't everyone already know that? Does this person really believe that DT or AM are going to change their philosophies or styles if there's an article written in the paper or a question asked at a presser?

It's really irritating when people project their frustration on to other people. "I'm pissed because they're losing and it doesn't look like the players are frustrated, so obviously they don't care!" "I'm frustrated with all the losing and the media isn't lighting a fire under management, so obviously they don't care that I care so much!" Can't we just be smart about something?

Sorry to rant. I agree with all of his earlier points, but I think he went too far with this last graph.

I don't blame you for being frustrated, I'm frustrated too, but to say the players don't care is absurd!! Have you ever played sports? Do you like losing? Believe me these players care. I believe that these players haven't been put in a good situation to win and it's not really DT fault. I think the FO needs to take a good look at themselves in a mirror.

Absolutely. The commentator is calling out the media for not doing their job in that regard and I completely agree. But the whole idea of that line of questioning "holding (DT) accountable" reeks of vindictiveness, and that's not the role of the media.

I don't blame you for being frustrated, I'm frustrated too, but to say the players don't care is absurd!! Have you ever played sports? Do you like losing? Believe me these players care. I believe that these players haven't been put in a good situation to win and it's not really DT fault. I think the FO needs to take a good look at themselves in a mirror.

I agree with you. I was pointing out how ridiculous comments like that are. That's why I put it in quotes.

It’s a very valid point that the commenter brings up. The media members tend to ask questions like “why continue batting Adam Jones lead off?” instead of “Adam Jones has a .228 OBP, why are you still leading him off?”

Roch in particular also works for Orioles, since they own MASN. He’ll obviously claim that it has no bearing on his writing and no one from the organization has told him what to write (and I doubt they would). But to pretend that doesn’t seep into someone’s subconscious is naive.

I think the media does an OK job with asking Trembley tough questions, and hasn’t done enough asking MacPhail the tough questions.

How dare you?! In all seriousness, I think more specific questions about the lineup in particular make sense. "Nick Markakis's OPS is 140 points higher in the 2 spot, why not give him an extended look there?" is an example of a question I'd like to ask.

That's all good and fine, but why can't Roch (or any reporters, for that matter) actually asks the organization, manager, and players legitimate questions? The Jones question is a legitimate question. Why was Atkins signed is a legitimate question. Why not Hughes in the beginning of the season is a legitimate question. Why use Albers 3 days in a row is a legitimate question. Why was Gonzalez given a free pass to close in the beginning of the season when his mechanics were completely out of whack and he was injured is a legitimate question.

I think if people want to know the answers to these hard-hitting questions badly enough, they need to do what it takes to get a press pass, get off their ass, and ask Trembley and MacPhail what the deal is. It's not impossible. I see a whole bunch of guys in the press room after games. There are several posters on the Hangout that are successful bloggers, and their hard work was recognized last year when they were all invited to watch a game from the press box.

I think if people want to know the answers to these hard-hitting questions badly enough, they need to do what it takes to get a press pass, get off their ass, and ask Trembley and MacPhail what the deal is. It's not impossible. I see a whole bunch of guys in the press room after games. There are several posters on the Hangout that are successful bloggers, and their hard work was recognized last year when they were all invited to watch a game from the press box.

Yes, because that's certainly in our job description as a fan, especially as a busy fan.