wildcard

Britton, Beato, Egan in line for mid season promotions?

I think AAA has been shown to be pretty important in most cases. In hindsight, I kind of wish Matusz had had a stop there.

Given the fact that I believe we have a legit AAA pitching coach, I believe you. I think coaching is very important in the minors and it seems we have a good one.

Given the fact that I believe we have a legit AAA pitching coach, I believe you. I think coaching is very important in the minors and it seems we have a good one.

I agree here. There are certian cases where you may draft a really polished college arm that you can skip AAA, but guys like Britton who are polished yes, but are still refining major apsects of their game need to stop in AAA. I would promote him and see how he does with the idea of having him ready for 2011 at some point....

Let him work on the change at AAA the rest of the year, then the idea should be to have him in the rotation OD 2011.

When we last saw Hoey at the major league level his fastball had no movement. Straight as an arrow. Doesn't matter how fast it is if it doesn't move major league hitters will hit it.

FWIW, Baysox pitching coach Kennie Steenstra said this about Hoey's fastball:

"It's still fairly straight, but I think he's been doing a much better job of pitching down and getting that downward plane on his pitches.

"For me, the key for him is still that slider. Making sure he can throw that slider for strikes and also throw it out of the zone to get people to chase. That's a pitch we've been concentrating on a little bit more, but he's doing a nice job right now.”

Which is why I say promote Britton now.

He kind of is what he is. He needs to be able to command the ball a little bit better but his style isn't likely to change all that much.

So, get him up to AAA and let Griffin work with him.

Which is why I say promote Britton now.

He kind of is what he is. He needs to be able to command the ball a little bit better but his style isn't likely to change all that much.

So, get him up to AAA and let Griffin work with him.

I agree, get him up to AAA. I don't think it would be a bad idea to have our AAA fielders playing behind him either. Angle, Bell, Aubry, Andino are all assets on the field. I think Blake Davis is too, but I never really followed him, so I could be wrong, but regardless, it'd be interesting to see how well Britton would do with polished fielders behind him to snag some batted balls that should be outs or even errors that end up being labeled "hits". But that reasoning is really secondary. We are at the point where we are trying to establish our future rotation. Why leave Britton in AA if he is mastering the level. Get him up to AAA, if he does well there, you have a likely candidate for the rotation out of ST next year.....If he stays in AA all year, then next year, he will need to spend time in AAA when he could be utilizing that time to get acclimated to the ML.

And his style and approach are his strengths, so I wouldn't be worried about him changing that. He's a GB guy regardless, so stadium size/wind blowing in from RF won't affect that much other than allowing a couple of mistake pitches that would normally be HRs turn into long outs for him. But that won't suddenly make him start pitching up in the zone, because as SG said, he is what he is and he knows what he is, a GB machine......

Britton and Egan both deserve promotions. I would like to see Britton cut the walsk down a bit but he's ready for AAA and hopefully for the majors next year. I think he has a chance to open next year in the majors. Egan does nothing but impress. He's given up something like 7 walks and 23 hits in 43 innings. That's dominant even if he's not striking out a lot of guys. Let's see how his stuff plays at AAA. If it doesn, then he's an interesting guy for our bullpen. He often goes 2 or 3 innings and could be a long man or setup guy. He gets a lot of groundballs too. He hasn't given up a homerun yet this year.

Egan was promoted to Norfolk this afternoon.

While at Bowie: 46.2 IP, 29 H, 12 R, 11 ER, 1 HR, 7 BB, 25 K's, 2.29 GO/AO, .177 BAA, 2.12 ERA. That's a well-deserved promotion, I would say. Egan is 25 so no reason to be slow in promoting him. He's gotten better at every stop since 2007.

Someone should read before they comment.;)

My mistake, however it should have happened a month ago.