texbird

Hopefully good news from Pittsburg

I take Colon. I've been watching him play at the regionals and he has impressed me not only with his bat but his glove also. And I know from my son who pitches for the Titans(I had to put in a plug for my son) he wants to be an Oriole. He would be up in 2012. He's the real deal!!

I take Colon. I've been watching him play at the regionals and he has impressed me not only with his bat but his glove also. And I know from my son who pitches for the Titans(I had to put in a plug for my son) he wants to be an Oriole. He would be up in 2012. He's the real deal!!

Colon has had a great year. I don't think the O's can go wrong with him.

Big game tonight against the Golden Gophers. Hope to see your boy Ray in there.

I wish we would take Colon but I don't think anybody should be upset about adding a player like Machado to our system...

Oh for sure. I wish our system was loaded with guys like Machado.

For the record, I don't fear that our development crew will so fail him that he ends up being Billy Rowell part 2. He's just too athletic and too talented for that. He'll become a top 4 prospect for us before his first pro at-bat. I like this pick much better than Hobgood. I think there's more upside and less risk. I will absolutely love following his progression.

I just tend to think that the bonus he'll receive might not be the best allocation of resources for our draft budget, because (1) there are others who are similarly talented and would cost less and (2) I don't think he's likely to reach his ceiling or the lofty projections many have been throwing around.

Law's saying that Harper/Taillon/Machado is a lock. He says there's zero chance Machado falls past the O's.

He actually thinks the Bucs should take Machado over Taillon too.

Taillon looks like he will be a Buc. This is from a Keith Law chat on ESPN:

I wish Jeremiah Pittsburgh was in charge of the Pirates' scouting.

I just tend to think that the bonus he'll receive might not be the best allocation of resources for our draft budget, because (1) there are others who are similarly talented and would cost less and (2) I don't think he's likely to reach his ceiling or the lofty projections many have been throwing around.

They need to have sign thier first round pick then have a budget. If this kid comes close to reaching his potential he will be a bargin at his asking price. With all the money the O's have pulled out of the big league club since AM took over I do not want to hear that they don't have the money to sign a first round pick.

They need to have sign thier first round pick then have a budget. If this kid comes close to reaching his potential he will be a bargin at his asking price. With all the money the O's have pulled out of the big league club since AM took over I do not want to hear that they don't have the money to sign a first round pick.

You don't have to want to hear anything, but every organization has a draft budget.

If you re-do your budget after you've already committed 3/4 of it, it's not really a budget, is it?

I won't argue that the Orioles should be willing to commit more to the amateur draft. Not at all. But the way any scouting director plans his draft board is by having a good idea of what you think it will take to sign your first round pick, then determining what overslots you may be able to afford round by round.

The issue here isn't whether Machado will be "worth it" if he makes it as a successful major leaguer. Of course he will. The issue is whether you could get more for your money by taking a similar talent for 2/3 the price or less and spreading the extra money among overslots in the following rounds.

I don't think Machado is worth twice as much as Colon, and whether you like it or not, we're not dealing with an unrestricted budget.

The draft is a much better place to allocate resources then in mediocre free agents. They can give Machado the extra 4.5 mill that the 2011 version of Atkins is going to make.

Obviously when I say they have to sign the first pick I am being realistic, if Machado won't come down off of say 8 million you tell him to hit the road and take the 4th pick next year. What I am saying is that the O's do not have to sacrifice the rest of the draft to sign a first round pick.

I find it foolish that teams have a draft budget, an international budget, a free agent budget and so on and so forth. If you carve 20 million off your big league budget then that money should be used in other ways to help the club, with the draft and international free agents being two good choices.

The draft is a much better place to allocate resources then in mediocre free agents. They can give Machado the extra 4.5 mill that the 2011 version of Atkins is going to make.

Obviously when I say they have to sign the first pick I am being realistic, if Machado won't come down off of say 8 million you tell him to hit the road and take the 4th pick next year. What I am saying is that the O's do not have to sacrifice the rest of the draft to sign a first round pick.

I find it foolish that teams have a draft budget, an international budget, a free agent budget and so on and so forth. If you carve 20 million off your big league budget then that money should be used in other ways to help the club, with the draft and international free agents being two good choices.

Of course there's not much to take issue with in thise post, but I think it's got a different tone than you had when you first took me to charge. I am a firm believer that investment in the draft is money well spent.

The reality, though, is that money is not unlimited, and any area of spending will have a budget. Whether your draft budget is 8 million or 15 million, I still think it could be used more wisely in this particular first round than giving Machado a record-setting contract.

My point didn't really have anything to do with draft budget philosophy. I'm not sure why you're so upset because all indications are that the Orioles will indeed pick Machado and I have to believe that if they pick him, they know what it's going to take. My issue is that similarly talented players could be had for less.

Of course there's not much to take issue with in thise post, but I think it's got a different tone than you had when you first took me to charge. I am a firm believer that investment in the draft is money well spent.

The reality, though, is that money is not unlimited, and any area of spending will have a budget. Whether your draft budget is 8 million or 15 million, I still think it could be used more wisely in this particular first round than giving Machado a record-setting contract.

My point didn't really have anything to do with draft budget philosophy. I'm not sure why you're so upset because all indications are that the Orioles will indeed pick Machado and I have to believe that if they pick him, they know what it's going to take. My issue is that similarly talented players could be had for less.

Does that mean you were in favor of the way the draft played out last year, with Hobgood as the #1 pick?

Does that mean you were in favor of the way the draft played out last year, with Hobgood as the #1 pick?

Not really, because I didn't think Hobgood was the BPA. Or even marginally close.

I think Grant Green or Alex White would have been very nice choices there. We still could have afforded some overslots later on.

Is the draft being aired on ESPN? I checked the guide for Comcast and it has a baseball game listed as being on at 7pm on ESPN. I couldn't find the draft anywhere.

MLB network has it, not ESPN. They are doing "predraft coverage" for the next hour.

Of course there's not much to take issue with in thise post, but I think it's got a different tone than you had when you first took me to charge.

Honestly wasnt trying to take you to charge and wasn't going for a belligerent tone.

Of course, I just feel that the O's have the resources to have a much higher budget then the 8 million they had last year. (Yes I know they spent 8.8 million). Then again I think every team, in a vacumn, should spend a lot more then they do now on the draft and less on free agents.

I am upset because I think they went cheap last year and I don't want them to do it again. I have not scouted these kids but most of the stuff I am reading puts a pretty big line between the top three and the rest of the class. That is obviously not the view you have so I can see where you would have a different priority.

Honestly wasnt trying to take you to charge and wasn't going for a belligerent tone.

Of course, I just feel that the O's have the resources to have a much higher budget then the 8 million they had last year. (Yes I know they spent 8.8 million). Then again I think every team, in a vacumn, should spend a lot more then they do now on the draft and less on free agents.

I am upset because I think they went cheap last year and I don't want them to do it again. I have not scouted these kids but most of the stuff I am reading puts a pretty big line between the top three and the rest of the class. That is obviously not the view you have so I can see where you would have a different priority.

Okay, then we're pretty much in agreement on most things. I just don't have Machado as highly rated as most of the national media. I think we've sort of been arguing about different things here, but that's okay.

BTW, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think the Orioles will draft and sign Machado, and when all is said and done our draft spending ends up higher than last year.