Tony-OH

Heads up: I'll be on WNST with trade news

Does this really surprise anybody besides BTerp and a handful of other Angelos afficianados? He will in fact never change.

Mediocrity by (Peter's) design!!

(Tony - please correct if I misinterpret. I know things can get twisted out of context).

Most discouraging thing I've heard thus far is the fact that PA continues to micromanage to the detriment of the club. Tony mentioned two trades were reportedly pretty much already worked out, and before they could get "approved" (or whatever) by the owner, the deals were off the table. He also mentioned the declaration by PA that Tejada won't be traded. It hamstrings the FO, and it makes teams reluctant to deal with the club. I believe Tony mentioned that there might be a half-dozen clubs who don't (or are reluctant) to deal with the O's because of this type of thing.

In my opinion, from listening to this, it sounds like the efforts of other FO members to improve the club are severely limited by the slow, methodical nature of the owner. Given that, I'll be shocked if any of the "good" deals mentioned on here get done by the deadline.

Tony's now talking about the minor league clubs.

Wow! Just wow! I guess I should be shocked by something this outrageous but I'm not.

Wow.

Any of you coming over to my side of the fence yet, in my belief that some of this sabatoge by Angelos is intentional.?

Intentional or not the result is the same and we shouldn't accept it.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if D. isn't gone by the end of the year.

I wouldn't either, if the impression given from this conversation is true. The other detail I remember hearing, that contributes to this problem, is with Mr. Angelos not being a full-time owner, it makes it even more difficult to get approval or feedback expediently. Whether it's true or not, it certainly seems possible.

Thee have probably been 1,000 threads saying that the O's would never compete until PA sold the team. I've always felt that was hyperbole, but now I am changing my mind.

If I said what I was thinking I'd break a whole bunch of board rules right now.

Does this really surprise anybody besides BTerp and a handful of other Angelos aficianados? He will in fact never change.

Mediocrity by (Peter's) design!!

To a degree it always shocks me. How is it possible for an owner to be this incompetant?

And it shocks me to consider that we have virtually no recourse. Depresses and shocks. I really don't know where to turn at this point. Maybe we could beg someone like Chip Mason to make Angelos an offer he can't refuse? Either that, or maybe we should convince the Godfather of the same thing? ;)

If I said what I was thinking I'd break a whole bunch of board rules right now.

Hopefully there would be a special allowance right now...I say go ahead and say what is on your mind!!

Any of you coming over to my side of the fence yet, in my belief that some of this sabatoge by Angelos is intentional.?

Even if all of this is dead on the mark, I still highly doubt that it's intentional. Extremely misguided, and a huge impediment toward making progress with this club, yes. But I can't fathom that it's intentional.

Tony's talking Bedard now. Ah - a bright spot. :D

FFlife, you every watch a cat play with a mouse and just slowly torture it?

Some here will call me paranoid for my belief that Angelos feels we didn't appreciate what he tried to do and is now getting back at us.. But I tell you what. After reading this, I'm betting that the number of you who think I'm nothing but a conspiracy monger has dropped.

The only possible way this can change is political pressure and pressure by the monied powers-that-be in Maryland. Somehow, Angelos has to be convinced to sell the team.

He said his source didnt say the exacts of the trades. He went on for about 10 mins talking about how EVERYTHING in the organization has to be ran through Angelos before it is done from trades, drafting, SIGNING of draft picks, and even the PR decisions. The worst part of the whole thing was that he was asked if Angelos knows how hated he is and if there was a chance for him to change and Tony flat out said from everything he is hearing that he doesnt seem to know and will never change. I was hoping Toney meant good news when he posted he was going to be on with news.
Well, that's where I question things. I've heard a few sources say that he knows exactly how much the fans hate him, and that he just doesn't care.

As for mikezpen's theory that he's intentionally tanking the franchise, I don't agree with that. I think he truly believes that he knows the right way to run a baseball team, even though the past nine years would beg to differ. It's not a conspiracy, it's just good old fashioned self-delusion.

The problem is that the Orioles are not a capitalistic enterprise. They have not only the antitrust exemption that every baseball team has, but also a guaranteed sale price. He's in no danger of losing money, as long as he doesn't invest in payroll.

If a private, competitive company had the kind of terrible track record as the Orioles have, it wouldn't exist anymore.

Tony actually covered a lot of other material that we discuss on here daily. Mentioned the minor prospects, and ended by talking about Bedard and Cabrera. I'm sorry I don't have the details, but hey... I'm no Witchy. (How dare she have a real job! :D

Tony finished with a plug for the Hangout, and the phone call just ended.