melankfo

What's the status of Hoes?

Anyone know what the situation is with Hoes. Hasn't played since about May 15, and had some kind of injury. I don't know how close he is to being back. If you look at his numbers, they are quite impressive for a 20 year old in Advanced A. I hope he's soon ready to continue his development.

According to prospect tracker, Hoes has mono and isn't likely to return until the 2nd half of the season.

Wow, of all things to happen to him in a breakout season. If he returns to form, he has a good shot at being a top 100 guy especially considering he fell just outside the list in 08 after being drafted. As the 2nd youngest guy in the league with those elite BB rates and strong batting average, he is gonna get some attention....

Wow, of all things to happen to him in a breakout season. If he returns to form, he has a good shot at being a top 100 guy especially considering he fell just outside the list in 08 after being drafted. As the 2nd youngest guy in the league with those elite BB rates and strong batting average, he is gonna get some attention....

I don't know... I think that in order to get top 100 national attention you have to either have a loud tool or two, or be one of those guys who scouts look at as being a sure-thing major leaguer. I like Hoes, but I don't think he qualifies as either one of those.

Hoes is coming back in the 2nd half or Hoes is starting opening night for Aberdeen? It can't be both, can it?

Hoes is coming back in the 2nd half or Hoes is starting opening night for Aberdeen? It can't be both, can it?

Yes, it's both. L.J.'s that good! :)

Seriously though, when I spoke with Gomez recently, he indicated he would return once the second half resumed because the team is on the road and all-star festivities for the next 10 days. It never crossed my mind that he would go right to Aberdeen and play on a rehab with them as they startup on Friday, so it makes sense to get him reps as he has been working out with the team over the last week-plus.

Edited by AVencill
  • Upvote 1

L.J. had a nice opening weekend in Aberdeen. He's the youngest position player on the Ironbirds, and he's hitting like a guy who belongs two levels higher. Looks like he's on schedule to return to Frederick after the break.

L.J. had a nice opening weekend in Aberdeen. He's the youngest position player on the Ironbirds, and he's hitting like a guy who belongs two levels higher. Looks like he's on schedule to return to Frederick after the break.

He certainly looks like he'll be ready. Good to see, and I hope he can stay healthy the entire 2nd half.

Friday night Ironbirds manager Gary Kendall said he was told LJ Hoes would be with Aberdeen for about 8 days.

I got to see him play yesterday. He was clearly the best player on the field. He reached base all three times.

He had a nice triple that he played into a double when he didn't watch Devarez (3B Coach), diving headfirst into second while the RF ran past the ball. I don't know what he was thinking there. Earlier in the game he hustled into 2nd for a 2 base error on a popup to short.

I found his range at 2nd to be a little lacking, but he has a nice arm.

Boy, I'll tell you, Aberdeen is a pretty depressing team to watch in terms of prospect excitement. Once they took Hoes out, I think the entire lineup was nothing but 23 year old 30th round picks.

I got to see him play yesterday. He was clearly the best player on the field. He reached base all three times.

He had a nice triple that he played into a double when he didn't watch Devarez (3B Coach), diving headfirst into second while the RF ran past the ball. I don't know what he was thinking there. Earlier in the game he hustled into 2nd for a 2 base error on a popup to short.

I found his range at 2nd to be a little lacking, but he has a nice arm.

Boy, I'll tell you, Aberdeen is a pretty depressing team to watch in terms of prospect excitement. Once they took Hoes out, I think the entire lineup was nothing but 23 year old 30th round picks.

Pretty much I think you will see that with Aberdeen. I have always looked at it is as an intermediate level between SS and full season. The better prospects seem to skip that level most of the time. HS guys will normally go to Bluefield or GCL. College guys normally will go to Delmarva if not Fredrick....So, for guys from JuCo, that is a good level to start out at, but we don't always draft a lot of JuCo prospects. I could see someone like Tolliver(once he gets going again) being sent there......

I don't know... I think that in order to get top 100 national attention you have to either have a loud tool or two, or be one of those guys who scouts look at as being a sure-thing major leaguer. I like Hoes, but I don't think he qualifies as either one of those.

In 2008, Hoes definitely got an honorable mention on the list. He has a plus hit tool and has some tremendous plate discipline. His instincts are apparently strong and he has decent speed. As the second youngest player in his league, his OBP is more than 100 points higher than his batting average. He is far from a sure thing, but no one is at this age/point in development....

Pretty much I think you will see that with Aberdeen. I have always looked at it is as an intermediate level between SS and full season. The better prospects seem to skip that level most of the time. HS guys will normally go to Bluefield or GCL. College guys normally will go to Delmarva if not Fredrick....So, for guys from JuCo, that is a good level to start out at, but we don't always draft a lot of JuCo prospects. I could see someone like Tolliver(once he gets going again) being sent there......

I think Aberdeen may be doing more harm than good when you hear Jordan say how he was making picks to fill out their roster. The entire lineup sans Hoes looked like roster filler to me.

Hoes having another good night rehabbing at Aberdeen, 2 for 4 with a HR. He's hitting .478. He's about ready to return to Frederick, I'd say.