soxhotcorner14

Steve Melewski's Article Regarding the O's Organization

I was really disappointed to see his answers in regard to the number of scouts. I understand more scouts doesn't necessarily mean better and having the best scouts is more important than having the most scouts, but it sounds like he's assuming other teams have hired bad scouts. The bottom line is our division has basically lapped us from a scouting standpoint.

I'd like to see McPhail asked how he plans to compete year in and year out when the opponents in his division bring in more premium talent from the draft than he does, more premium talent internationally than he does, and spends more on free agency than he does.

A few weeks ago, I sent an email to Roch and Zrebiec with the scouting numbers.

I posted the response I got from Zrebiec. Basically he said he would like to do a story on this but its tough to get people in the organization to tell him whats really going on because of the fear of losing jobs.

Now, we see a fluff interview by AM from Melewski.

Its just interesting much of a coincidence all of this is becoming.:scratchchinhmm:

How is this fluff? He asked the questions. MacPhail answered evasively. What is Melewski supposed to do, start shaking MacPhail and demanding the truth? Anyone can read between the lines.

How is this fluff? He asked the questions. MacPhail answered evasively. What is Melewski supposed to do, start shaking MacPhail and demanding the truth? Anyone can read between the lines.

Melewski did a poor job of asking follow up questions.

I was really disappointed to see his answers in regard to the number of scouts. I understand more scouts doesn't necessarily mean better and having the best scouts is more important than having the most scouts, but it sounds like he's assuming other teams have hired bad scouts. The bottom line is our division has basically lapped us from a scouting standpoint.

I'd like to see McPhail asked how he plans to compete year in and year out when the opponents in his division bring in more premium talent from the draft than he does, more premium talent internationally than he does, and spends more on free agency than he does.

Is there any reason for us to believe that the Orioles have very good scouts?

Is there any reason for us to believe that the Orioles have very good scouts?

While we haven't found a Mike Stanton in the second round or really found an impact guy after the 1st round, I thinke Jordan and his scouts have done a good job. Jordan's drafts seem to get deeper each year and the old days when high picks like Daren Hooper, Rick Elder, Mike Paradis, and Tim Gilhooley, were pretty much total busts seems like history. The biggest mark against Jordan and his scouts has been unearthing that impact talent after the 1st round but they've been pretty solid, IMO. In fact, the amount of scouts scouting amateur baseball seems like something that's being overblown on here. IMO, the O's have done a good job in the later rounds where the number of scouts would have the most impact.

While we haven't found a Mike Stanton in the second round or really found an impact guy after the 1st round, I thinke Jordan and his scouts have done a good job. Jordan's drafts seem to get deeper each year and the old days when high picks like Daren Hooper, Rick Elder, Mike Paradis, and Tim Gilhooley, were pretty much total busts seems like history. The biggest mark against Jordan and his scouts has been unearthing that impact talent after the 1st round but they've been pretty solid, IMO. In fact, the amount of scouts scouting amateur baseball seems like something that's being overblown on here. IMO, the O's have done a good job in the later rounds where the number of scouts would have the most impact.

You do know that scouting encompasses more than watching high school and college players, right?

The bottom line is our division has basically lapped us from a scouting standpoint.

I'm really not sure how one reaches this particular conclusion, but I do not believe it is factually supported.

Roch responds to the following comment:

Tony Pente wrote today that MacPhail went to Melewski for damage control before Tony could get his piece out on the organization. He said "Melewski has a job and he does it well." It appeared that there is some sort of job involving Melewski being overly positive about the team and being a mouthpiece. Don't you get tired of the whole MASN is the Orioles' mouthpiece slant? It seems like it is becoming worse rather than better. I think it really does a disservice to what you do Roch for pseudo-news guys to take pot shots at you all. I mean, it is OK to say someone does a bad job (though I think you do a great job), it is another to call someone a shill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacPhail didn't go to Melewski for damage control. We both requested a sit-down with him to cover a variety of topics. We went through the PR department and he eventually gave us a day and time. We initiated it. Had absolutely nothing to do with the Hangout. - Roch

Maybe you should stop making stuff up. I never said MacPhail went to Melewski for damage control. Get the facts straight my friend.

Maybe you should stop making stuff up. I never said MacPhail went to Melewski for damage control. Get the facts straight my friend.

FWIW... I think it is admirable that you are giving AM and PA the opportunity to respond to your article before it is published. It's a very classy thing to do and something that has gone AWOL in journalism now adays.

I'm really not sure how one reaches this particular conclusion, but I do not believe it is factually supported.

You can't tell by what you see?

Tony, with all due respect, it isn't clear that the comment he is citing is one that he actually made.

Moreover, on page 1 of this thread you said the following:

Big surprise. Something from Melewski that makes it seem like everything is going great with the O's. Shocking. MacPhail made time to do Melewski's interview but has put mine off until later this week. Again, not surprising. My piece has been waiting from the Orioles response. I guess I know why they've been putting me off. They have to get the damage control out first.

:wedge:

Tony, with all due respect, it isn't clear that the comment he is citing is one that he actually made.

Moreover, on page 1 of this thread you said the following:

Big surprise. Something from Melewski that makes it seem like everything is going great with the O's. Shocking. MacPhail made time to do Melewski's interview but has put mine off until later this week. Again, not surprising. My piece has been waiting from the Orioles response. I guess I know why they've been putting me off. They have to get the damage control out first.

Tony never said Andy sought out Melewski. That's not to say that Andy didn't spin things his way once the forum was offered to him.