wildcard

Is Mahoney a prospect now?

I am very excited about Mahoney's recent surge, but we have to be careful about going overboard based on 91 plate appearances in AA. Snyder was real good for 233 PA at that level, and in two AFL stints, yet he's struggled at AAA. He has hit relatively well in 91 PA since June 1 (.286/.337/.505), unfortunately interrupted by a 5-6 week stint on the DL. I think he needs to have a pretty good August to warrant a September call-up.

It's not really about 91 PA. Any optimistic prediction for Mahoney's future in the system is predicated on the assumption that he continues to hit well at Bowie for the next three weeks -- if not at a 1.000 OPS clip, at least avoiding a significant slump. Obviously if he comes back to earth hard, that changes things.

Snyder will be 24 next season, and will have more than 600 PAs at AAA. He is almost getting to the point that he and the Orioles have little to lose by feeding him to the wolves in September. It isn't how you would treat a 22-year-old prospect, and the chances of him succeeding aren't good, but otherwise he is on a track to being a career minor leaguer and a failed pick.

There's very little to lose now by exposing him to MLB now, either in terms of the team's season or Snyder's future.

Looks like Mahoney was taken out of tonight's game. Anyone know anything about this? Hope he is not hurt.

Looks like Mahoney was taken out of tonight's game. Anyone know anything about this? Hope he is not hurt.

He didn't play today (Thursday). Bowie had a day game (noon start).

As caljr said, he came out in the middle of Wednesday's game. He grounded out in the top of the 5th. Then in the bottom of the 5th, he was removed. To remove Mahoney, they put Figueroa into the game in CF, moved Tucker from CF to RF, and moved Guzman from RF to 1B.

Edited by TakebackOPACY

Snyder will be 24 next season, and will have more than 600 PAs at AAA. He is almost getting to the point that he and the Orioles have little to lose by feeding him to the wolves in September. It isn't how you would treat a 22-year-old prospect, and the chances of him succeeding aren't good, but otherwise he is on a track to being a career minor leaguer and a failed pick.

There's very little to lose now by exposing him to MLB now, either in terms of the team's season or Snyder's future.

What's the latest with Snyder?

What's the latest with Snyder?

Went on the DL in mid June just as he was starting to hit (.920 OPS in June). He has 45 PA at Norfolk since coming off the DL, about an .800 OPS.

minorleaguesplits.com has him with a 24.6 p.c. LD for the season, and if that's at all accurate, he's been hitting the ball well. But at some point he needs to put up significant numbers at AAA, and that hasn't happened.

If he had hit early, the 1B job in Baltimore could have been his once the O's acknowledged that Atkins was crapping out. A wasted season, and a big disappointment.

I hope he's headed for Norfolk instead of out with an injury.

The BaySox have a chance at being in the playoffs. I don't look for Mahoney to be promoted to Norfolk. I think they would rather he get playoff experience.

I hope he's headed for Norfolk instead of out with an injury.

I hope the organization leaves him in Bowie. Jumping two levels in one season is a lot. Plus Bowie is in the middle of a pennant race. It would be great to observe these young players competing in this atmosphere. Show what they are made of. Learn what success feels like and hope they want more. I may be a little greedy here but the bitter taste of Cleveland sending Travis Hefner down to AA to help Akron defeat Bowie in the playoffs in 2008 will never be forgotten.

I hope the organization leaves him in Bowie. Jumping two levels in one season is a lot. Plus Bowie is in the middle of a pennant race. It would be great to observe these young players competing in this atmosphere. Show what they are made of. Learn what success feels like and hope they want more. I may be a little greedy here but the bitter taste of Cleveland sending Travis Hefner down to AA to help Akron defeat Bowie in the playoffs in 2008 will never be forgotten.

Yeah, the Hafner move was a travesty, but at least Cleveland has gotten its just rewards since then.

I'm curious, since you see all these guys close up, which players impress you most? How would you rank Adams, Henson, Mahoney, Miclat, Joseph, Waring? And how about the pitchers, does anyone strike you as a potential major leaguer now that Britton has moved on? What's your view of Britton compared to the others who have come through the last 2-3 years?

As I said in 2008, Mahoney has always been my organizational darkhorse.

My only point of reference has been seeing him through a full season at Aberdeen. Having at least played minor league ball, I like to think that occasionally I can spot talent.

Mahoney got to everything that was thrown to him. I've never seen a guy fist off doubles like he did that season. Everything he seemed to hit was hard and he just really popped out as a guy who would one day make it.

I'd tell friends of mine to watch this Mahoney kid.

I really think he is going to be a solid ML player.

Yeah, the Hafner move was a travesty, but at least Cleveland has gotten its just rewards since then.

I'm curious, since you see all these guys close up, which players impress you most? How would you rank Adams, Henson, Mahoney, Miclat, Joseph, Waring? And how about the pitchers, does anyone strike you as a potential major leaguer now that Britton has moved on? What's your view of Britton compared to the others who have come through the last 2-3 years?

I was at the game in Akron when Hafner hit two bombs. I had just moved to Kent for school. It was disheartening, to say the least.