SilentJames

Actions Speak Louder than Words

What the hell is anyone at MASN supposed to say? How idiotic. The people who try to stir things up with no regard to logic or intelligence are amazing. Roch was right, there IS nothing for him or anyone to respond to. He wasn't indicted in anything. Hell I don't think MASN was even mentioned in the article.

So let's get this straight, AM's plan is to build through drafting and developing, yet HIS (not PA's) policies are:

1. Less amateur scouts domestically

2. Less amateur scouts dedicated to the DR

3. Typically slow movement in reaching an agreement in VZ

4. No particular focus on the rest of the world

5. A riskier Rule 4 draft spend which doesn't exceed the Red Sox

6. A vastly under funded int'l player spend

AND, since we don't have the same resources, our direct to the majors spending includes:

1. Less pro scouting for things like advanced scouting (which, you know, would help the young guys perform better) and player acquisition

2. Lower payroll

3. Less of an ability to complete deals due to his deliberate nature and small circle of people who have any authority to do anything.

This article was written very professionally, but it clearly laid out how feeble AM's plan is, IMO.

That's what i took from it. Oh, but he did put in a new computer system.

One question you wonder is why - is it Mcaphail being too cheap to put up the expenses or would more scouts threaten the favored people in the organization?

Tony, quick question for you.

One thing I was wondering as I read this article was were you able to ask follow up questions to AM?

I noticed that you provided quotes from AM and then after, you would insert your opinion a few times. Was he willing to answer follow ups or did you just choose to not ask them?

A lot of the follow up responses I used in different sections or within the same paragraph depending on what he said. I wasn't trying to depict a question and answers session.

• Upvote 2

As far as the reaction to it, I don't understand all the fuss about international

player scouting/signing. The Orioles can't scout, sign and develop players right here in the U.S.A., and haven't for many years. I have zero confidence

they could do any better at all overseas. I think they need to fix the domestic

side of this issue, and prove that its fixed, before they dump a bunch of money into the international bucket.

I live in Danville Virginia and go to rookie league games, bluefield is in the league. They suck. All of the other teams have good international players on it. The Mariners got a guy from the DR who is hitting 10 homer runs already signed as a free agent. Never have I seen the O's have a good international player on this bluefield team and I've been going to these games for 10 years. Bluefield is in last place, every year they are in last place.

• Upvote 1

Tony-

Can you tell us how many off the record conversations were had with AM? No details, just if there were that changed your mind about things, or added more fuel to your fire? For a lack of a better term.

Thanks.

I live in Danville Virginia and go to rookie league games, bluefield is in the league. They suck. All of the other teams have good international players on it. The Mariners got a guy from the DR who is hitting 10 homer runs already signed as a free agent. Never have I seen the O's have a good international player on this bluefield team and I've been going to these games for 10 years. Bluefield is in last place, every year they are in last place.

Rep to you. So glaring is this problem....it overwhelms any lack of FA signings IMHO.

Nice summary Tony and thanks for writing it.

Nothing I hadn't heard before, except for the Stockstill Dominican thing. Still rather depressing to see it all in one place.

I think overall the O's are creeping in the right direction. but Tony is right actions do speak louder.

Actually, going back 10 years the Bluefield O's have only finished last once. And that was due to a strange divisional fluke, where they finished 4th but were only four games under .500.

The Baby Birds haven't been great for a number of years, and they haven't won the league since 2002. But in the 2000s they've finished first as often as last.

(Please don't take any of this as evidence they don't need better players - I think they do.)

Tony-

Can you tell us how many off the record conversations were had with AM? No details, just if there were that changed your mind about things, or added more fuel to your fire? For a lack of a better term.

Thanks.

I had one interview with him and it was on the record with the PR Director in the room.

It was a little tense in the beginning but in the end I felt like he answered most of the questions I wanted to ask him. He had a meeting so I had to rush at the end so a few things did not get asked. Overall though, it was professional on all accounts.

• Upvote 1

I had one interview with him and it was on the record with the PR Director in the room.

It was a little tense in the beginning but in the end I felt like he answered most of the questions I wanted to ask him. He had a meeting so I had to rush at the end so a few things did not get asked. Overall though, it was professional on all accounts.

Of course he did. :laughlol: I can hear the secretary buzzing in..."Mr. MacPhail your two o'clock is here."

Excellent work Tony, a really great read.

Tony, I think you gave excellent insight in the constraints that MacPhail is working under in budgets and the ability to hire and fire key people. The information about David Stockstill's personality and his relationship with Jordan are eye opening.

Questions:

What do you think the impact of John Stockstill is as Director of Player Development. He does hold that position now, right? That is not the way it is listed on Orioles.com. Does John have a good relationship with Jordan? The one difference I have seen between David and John is the that John has done in season promotions of several players were David kept that to a minumim.

What is Melvin Mora standing with Angelos and MacPhail? Is he someone that can help in Venezuela after he retires as a player. He always bleed Black and Orange. I think he credits the O's with being a big part of the success with his career. I also hear he is thought well of in Venezuela.

What do you expect to happen of the next 10 days with player movement? You verified that exploring trades is MacPhail's priority for the next 10 days. Do you think he will be able to get anyone of value in trade for any of veterans?

Most people in the organization that I've talked to like and respect John Stockstill. I haven't had a ton of interaction with hi over the years but when I have, he's impressed me a knowledgeable guy with some good ideas. I haven't talked to John or Joe in awhile but I know they had a decent relationship.

I have no idea about Mora and your guess is as good as mine on the next ten days, but I do think MacPhail is focusing on the trade deadline right now and not the managerial search.

Did you get a sense that he was well aware what Orioleshangout.com is?

I think the Oriole Way had been dead a good long while before PA got his hands on the team. But I agree he's done nothing to revive it.

Nah its not gone.. its just got left in Florida somewhere and has been renamed the Rays Way