Sign in to follow this  
BowieMike

Hoes to Bowie

Just confirmed with Baysox manager Brad Komminsk that L.J. Hoes will join the team for its three-game road trip in Akron this week. Hoes will take the roster spot of Joel Guzman, who is traveling to New York to finalize his United States naturalization process.

I'll have more later.

Thanks to OH Keys beat writer Adam Vencill for providing the tip.

Edited by BowieMike

I would be the first to point out it is to early to know for sure but Jordan's drafting keeps looking better overall.

From what Keys manager Orlando Gomez told me, L.J.'s going to be in the starting lineup and be the DH. Add another weapon, albeit temporarily to the Baysox lineup. Gomez expects third catcher Kyle Moore to return tomorrow and be activated to take Hoes spot for a couple days. Moore is just 0-for-2 in one game a couple weeks ago against Wilmington.

Another move announced by Gomez after the game is that Cole McCurry is going to head to Delmarva tomorrow and provide some temporary relief to a bullpen that has been decimated the last two nights. McCurry is scheduled to make one appearance and then re-join the Keys.

• Upvote 1

The Orioles are being a lot more aggresive with there hitting prospects this year then I can remember. Or maybe they have reason too. This may be aggresive but we should consider bringing Avery up soon too, I believe he can handle Bowie though I'm no scout.

Guys let's remember, LJ Hoes and Xavier Avery are only 20 yrs. old. Hoes won't turn 21 until March and Avery in January. Slow down. To have them both in Bowie in 2011 at 21 yrs. of age is quite impressive. They will struggle, it's a guarantee. I'm excited, but keep things in perspective.

Just to clarify: Is this promotion permanent, or just for a few days to fill a couple-day need?

This is just a temporary move, same with McCurry to Delmarva, but it'll be fun to see how a 20 year old with great plate discipline in Hoes does against AA pitching.

This is just a temporary move, same with McCurry to Delmarva, but it'll be fun to see how a 20 year old with great plate discipline in Hoes does against AA pitching.

Got it! Thanks for the clarification

I asked Komminsk if there was a possibility Hoes stays with Bowie for more than three days. He said "as of now" it's only a three-day assignment.

Guzman will head to New York on Tuesday and is expected back by Thursday when the Baysox begin a four-game series with New Britain at Prince George's Stadium. He made his home in Tampa, Fla. for a few years before relocating to the Bronx this past offseason.

Congratulations to Joel, by the way.

Hopefully he does well and can become a legit top prospect.

I hereby declare that the official name of his fan club is "The Hoes Train".

I would be the first to point out it is to early to know for sure but Jordan's drafting keeps looking better overall.

I agree with both comments here. I'd certainly say both Hoes and Avery(more specifically Hoes) are on their way to top prospect status, but if Hoes did hit his way onto the team permanently, I could certainly see him as a top 100 guy. Too bad his power has diminished lately since coming back from mono which took his strength away big time....

Regardless, good stuff to see. I wouldn't promote Avery this year though because with the lesser discipline, I think he should finish this season on a high note in Fredrick and be ready for Bowie next year. Hoes toolbox and skill set are better for success to jump up a whole extra level. They are already among the youngest in Fredrick. I'd imagine Hoes would be very close to the3 youngest in the EL. Though its not a permanent move, I think it may be a litmus test to see if Hoes could handle AA pitching....

Congratulations to Joel, by the way.

Glad someone remembered to say this...attaining US citizenship is a long process. Good for him that he's finally made it (or about to make it).

• Upvote 1

It'd be nice of Hoes stayed at Bowie and then went down to the Fall League to catch up on the at-bats he missed.