srock

Garza is 2 outs from a No-No

He had 1 walk, so it's not technically a perfect game, but the guy who walked was wiped out on a very nice 5-4-3 DP. So he actually faced the minimum tonight.

Also of note, Matt Joyce hit a grand slam in the game.

It's nice to see two good teams play baseball...

Congratulations to Matt Garza but......as Harold Reynolds said he beat a depleted Detroit team missing Ordonez, Inge and Guillen. If they don't call the Orioles about Wigginton, Tejada and Scott and get some hitters soon they are going to slip out of contention in no time.

The no-hitter is quickly being cheapened by the lack of offense in baseball.

MLB has to do something otherwise it won't be as special of an event as it once was...

MLB has to do something otherwise it won't be as special of an event as it once was...

Just curious, did you think that when HR records were being broke left and right, and journeymen MI were hitting 20 HR with ease?

<font face="Verdana" size="1" color="#999999"><br/><a style="font: Verdana" href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23764633'>http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23764633">Weekend Update: All Drug Olympics</a><br/><object width="425px" height="372px"><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://player.hulu.com/embed/myspace_viral_player.swf?pid=DrUVszpLZ4WLstA-QhlmPELLh7hVRd6u&embed=true&videoID=23764633" /><embed src="http://player.hulu.com/embed/myspace_viral_player.swf?pid=DrUVszpLZ4WLstA-QhlmPELLh7hVRd6u&embed=true&videoID=23764633" width="425" height="372" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object><br/><a style="font: Verdana" href="http://www.myspace.com/271233202">Saturday Night Live</a> | <a style="font: Verdana" href="http://vids.myspace.com">MySpace Video</a></font>

;)

• Upvote 1

Delmon Young went 4-6 tonight and is hitting .322 on the year.

Jason Bartlett is beginning to heat up after a slow start. Tonight he went 1-2 and stole 2 bases.

Sometimes a trade works out for everybody.

You keep saying this, despite a mammoth truckload of evidence that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

It's clear as day that you love 9-7 games, and are using a blip in no hitters as an excuse to say there are fundamental things wrong with a run context that's higher than 98% of the seasons from 1954-1992.

You know there were seven no hitters in 1991, and seven more in 1990, compared to five this year. There were six in 1908, 1915, and 1917 despite half as many MLB games being played. But, yea, you're right. This is an unprecedented disturbance in the force that threatens to bring down baseball. Radical restructuring of the game, immediately, is the only plausible course of action. I join you in demanding the yarn in the ball be replaced with those little pink rubber balls you can buy at the dime store.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

You keep saying this, despite a mammoth truckload of evidence that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

It's clear as day that you love 9-7 games, and are using a blip in no hitters as an excuse to say there are fundamental things wrong with a run context that's higher than 98% of the seasons from 1954-1992.

You know there were seven no hitters in 1991, and seven more in 1990, compared to five this year. There were six in 1908, 1915, and 1917 despite half as many MLB games being played. But, yea, you're right. This is an unprecedented disturbance in the force that threatens to bring down baseball. Radical restructuring of the game, immediately, is the only plausible course of action. I join you in demanding the yarn in the ball be replaced with those little pink rubber balls you can buy at the dime store.

How is this any different than any of his wacky ideas? He's immune to contradictory evidence.

MLB Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations, Jimmie Lee Solomon was on Sirius XM's First Pitch this morning and said that MLB would have to look at evening the playing field for the hitters and mentioned that this was done before when the pitchers were dominant by lowering the mound.

I'm glad to see that they see it as an issue and will look to correct it.

He had 1 walk, so it's not technically a perfect game, but the guy who walked was wiped out on a very nice 5-4-3 DP. So he actually faced the minimum tonight.

Also of note, Matt Joyce hit a grand slam in the game.

It's nice to see two good teams play baseball...

That grandslam was the first hit in the game and came in the sixth inning. With only 1 hit between the two teams Tampa had a 4-0 lead.

MLB Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations, Jimmie Lee Solomon was on Sirius XM's First Pitch this morning and said that MLB would have to look at evening the playing field for the hitters and mentioned that this was done before when the pitchers were dominant by lowering the mound.

I'm glad to see that they see it as an issue and will look to correct it.

If Jimmie Lee Solomon actually said that he doesn't have the slightest idea what he's talking about. That would suggest MLB now considers the historically average run context to be below what's acceptable today. Strange coming from the front office of a sport that worships at the altar of history.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

If Jimmie Lee Solomon actually said that he doesn't have the slightest idea what he's talking about. That would suggest MLB now considers the historically average run context to be below what's acceptable today. Strange coming from the front office of a sport that worships at the altar of history.

Very true, but wouldn't surprise me if they did do something. The only thing they worship more than history is the dollar, and tend to move faster when it comes to a buck. Not advocating this or saying I agree with it, but recent history would suggest it is not out of the question for the brains that run MLB to do something like the following...

- offense is down

- All star game record low rating!

- (is attendance off, or are the new parks covering this? Given the economy would suspect some cyclical weakening in attendance)

Solution: WE MUST NEED MORE OFFENSE!!!

Strasburg withstanding, pitching alone does not sell tickets. Thus offense has to increase if baseball is to remain as profitable as it has been in the recent past.