Tony-OH

Hiring of Showalter could mean big change for O's

I was just thinking this as well. I remember when AM first got hired and people were asking him if he was "really in control" and the general reply from AM was along the lines of: "if I didn't think I was in control I wouldn't be here."

Well that goes double for a guy like Buck. This is a huge deal for the Orioles.

I personally have no problem with AM prefering Wedge, both managers have their merits and drawbacks, the important thing is that it is done and now we can move forward.

Wow............fascinating stuff. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. It will certainly be worth watching as the summer winds down.

I think the more say Showalter has in this organization, the better.

He did a similar thing in Arizona when he was hired there, and the Diamondbacks won 100 games the second year. Granted they signed a bunch of FA's, but the big jump happened.

That doesn't mean AM is fired, or even stops being a GM, but I think the two of them working together -- as long as it is not involving backstabbing -- is a good thing.

Interesting stuff, as always. I can't help but think the August 3rd start date was due to the trade deadline in some way? Will Buck have a say? Or did Macphail sense that his control is no longer guaranteed and this is his (not that Macphail will be gone, but this is the last one he'll be solely in control) last deadline? Can't wait to find out!!!

Should be very interesting how these dymanics work out. From the top on down to the dugout this team needs someone like Showalter and we got him.

I hope we're not adding another "Chief" to the "yes man" army. Let him do his job.

I think the more say Showalter has in this organization, the better.

He did a similar thing in Arizona when he was hired there, and the Diamondbacks won 100 games the second year. Granted they signed a bunch of FA's, but the big jump happened.

That doesn't mean AM is fired, or even stops being a GM, but I think the two of them working together -- as long as it is not involving backstabbing -- is a good thing.

If he has the power, I wonder if we go out and get guys in here, even if it means a bad contract.

Wow............fascinating stuff. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. It will certainly be worth watching as the summer winds down.

Yes it will. It might be more interesting to watch during the off season to get a better read as to how engaged Buck will be off the field from here on out.

This is going to be an interesting off season, no doubt. First question in my head:

MacPhail has been President and GM during his tenure, so it does make some sense to have his responsibility be one or the other, President in this case.

But can an on field manager do the GM job? Seems like there isn't enough time in the day once Spring Training starts. So gets to be Showalter's assistant? During the season, this person would essentially be GM, except they have to take direction and get approvals from Showalter.

If Andy plans to move to the MLB office as commissioner or something close to it, then maybe he plans to slowly hand the team over to the Buck Regime. Could this hire show foresight by the organization?

Did you hear the length of the contract? Four or five years? Did you hear Angelos liked his notebook he brought with him? It was a detailed plan.

Rosenthal reported deal is signed through 2013.