Tony-OH

Hiring of Showalter could mean big change for O's

I think Tony has been very clear about his opinion on the subject. He as quoted his source as saying that AM wanted Wedge and PA overuled him and insisted on Buck. That Buck asked for control over player personnel, scouting and development. Tony has said he knows for a fact that this is true.

That doesn't answer his question.

His question is about to what degree did AM not want Buck.

Was it a, "I'm going to resign if you force me to hire Buck instead of Wedge"?

or

Was it a, "I think both candidates will do a good job, but I give a slight edge to Wedge for X reason. If you disagree, we'll hire Buck and I will be happy with that decision, too."

Or at least, that's how I interpreted the question. Considering that the first line of Tony's story is, "Could the hiring of Buck Showalter be the beginning of the end for Andy MacPhail in Baltimore?" I think it's a very relevant question, and actually exactly why there's been so much angst and in-fighting amongst the OHers.

or

Was it a, "I think both candidates will do a good job, but I give a slight edge to Wedge for X reason. If you disagree, we'll hire Buck and I will be happy with that decision, too."

Or at least, that's how I interpreted the question. Considering that the first line of Tony's story is, "Could the hiring of Buck Showalter be the beginning of the end for Andy MacPhail in Baltimore?" I think it's a very relevant question, and actually exactly why there's been so much angst and in-fighting amongst the OHers.

Well we know MacPhail has not resigned since the Buck signing. He still may, and if he does it would happen over the offseason, but I doubt he will.

Well we know MacPhail has not resigned since the Buck signing. He still may, and if he does it would happen over the offseason, but I doubt he will.

Well those were obviously the two extremes and there are certainly shades of grey in between.

I actually think a lot of the angst and in-fighting is because everyone is interpreting Tony's article in different ways, and the "dingleberry brigade", as Tony so condescendingly referred to them, doesn't believe that AM is willing to resign over the hiring of Buck.

or

Why would he ask this question if he didn't think there was a reason to. If AM said hire him and I'll resign; he didn't, so I doubt that was the case. If he had said I prefer Wedge, but I'm cool with Buck, then there's no real issue is there? It doesn't seem to me that Tony thinks either is the case.

It seems to me that PA's entrenched cronies have been a major obstacle to AM's efforts to improve the organization. I would think that someone like Buck would want to get rid of some of that dead wood as well. So I can see some common ground between the two. I could see PA preferring Dempsey because he is his boy, and AM preferring Wedge because he would retain more control than he would with Buck. I can see AM preferring Buck to Dempsey and a compromise agreed upon, because the understanding between PA and AM, is that AM ultimately has the last word on hiring a manager.

Now that I'm back from my vacation, let me quickly chime in.

Quite simply the thought behind the article was to stimulate conversation over the implication behind the hiring of Showalter as manager. The information came from a source I trust 100% who is certainly connected to the goings on. I don't know the anwer to my original question and in fact, I'm as interested as anyone to see how all of this shakes out.

In the end, I'm glad Showlater is here because I think he brings an attitude and track record that we haven't had in the organization in a long time. I hope he's given the leeway to make things happen.