Tony-OH

Hiring of Showalter could mean big change for O's

This isn't neccassarily a good thing.

Dammit, SG, you didn't even give me a chance to say, "SG undermining comes in 3-2-1..."

If you followed when Showalter was first being discussed it was mentioned that both are control freaks and thus could not co-exist well...

I think you can deal with two control freaks by giving them seperate duties. I work in a business with plenty of them.

• Upvote 1

No, im sorry I wasn't clear.

Hiring Showalter as the manager is a great move.

But I do not like the idea of one person being the GM and manager...I don't like it any sport and baseball is even worse than most sports.

So, it depends on how all of this is structured.

Is Showalter going to bring a whole new program in?(similar to what Ray Miller did in Minnesota)

Is he just giving ideas?

Or will he have final say in all of it?

Backed.

I'm not sure how much merit these rumors have, but thinking about anyone in dual manager/GM role gets me really worried. I wanted Buck to come on as the hard ass manager that gets the most out of the roster that's given to him. I wouldn't mind him having some input on roster decisions and I'd like him to be in frequent contact with the front office, but he's a manager and I want him to go manage his players.

What I want is for this organization to have clearly defined roles from top to bottom. I want a GM who is in control of his/her organization and everyone maximizing their efforts in the hierarchy that flows from that point. There will be times (particularly in an organization that is rebuilding and looking to the future for sustained success) where the goals of a manager and a GM will be contradictory, and paradoxically that works just fine when they stick to their prescribed roles.

Additionally, why should I believe that Buck Showalter is in any way qualified to be making front office decisions?

Regardless of which specific individuals we are discussing, I want a manager who is 100% focused on winning games and getting the most out of his players, and I want a GM who is 100% focused on building for sustained success. The last thing this organization needs is more ambiguity and power struggles.

• Upvote 4

Dammit, SG, you didn't even give me a chance to say, "SG undermining comes in 3-2-1..."

I think someone is upset that his 2 heros, DT and AM, have been shown that they aren't the answers you said they would be and its upsetting you...its ok, I understand..I mean basically, your entire platform on here for the last few years has shown you to be totally wrong...I can see being uspet about that.

Backed.

I'm not sure how much merit these rumors have, but thinking about anyone in dual manager/GM role gets me really worried. I wanted Buck to come on as the hard ass manager that gets the most out of the roster that's given to him. I wouldn't mind him having some input on roster decisions and I'd like him to be in frequent contact with the front office, but he's a manager and I want him to go manage his players.

What I want is for this organization to have clearly defined roles from top to bottom. I want a GM who is in control of his/her organization and everyone maximizing their efforts in the hierarchy that flows from that point. There will be times (particularly in an organization that is rebuilding and looking to the future for sustained success) where the goals of a manager and a GM will be contradictory, and paradoxically that works just fine when they stick to their prescribed roles.

Additionally, why should I believe that Buck Showalter is in any way qualified to be making front office decisions?

Regardless of which specific individuals we are discussing, I want a manager who is 100% focused on winning games and getting the most out of his players, and I want a GM who is 100% focused on building for sustained success. The last thing this organization needs is more ambiguity and power struggles.

I agree. I don't think it matters what you think of AM. Hiring is Showalter as manager is ok I guess but what qualifications does he have to be both and who is the last manager who successfully did so.

If true, bad, bad idea.

Backed.

Well said..as usual.

The team now has to sign Machado. Buck having his first blue chip guy in a system that will (hopefully) be populated by his coaches will be a big step in the right direction.

No, im sorry I wasn't clear.

Hiring Showalter as the manager is a great move.

But I do not like the idea of one person being the GM and manager...I don't like it any sport and baseball is even worse than most sports.

So, it depends on how all of this is structured.

Is Showalter going to bring a whole new program in?(similar to what Ray Miller did in Minnesota)

Is he just giving ideas?

Or will he have final say in all of it?

I agree with this.

Backed.

And especially with this.

I thought this was interesting:

One theory is that MacPhail will take on a President type role and leave Showalter in control of player personnel for the club as a pseudo-General Manager.

I think this would be good for everyone involved - and Andy needs to spend time moving onto improving other parts of the organization. IMO its too much for one person to take on for an extended period of time. A year or so is fine, and I think he put the club in the right direction. But now its time to step away from the day-to-day baseball stuff. He's had too much on his plate and I think it has shown this year on many levels.

You're a fool if you think that. Andy wanted Showalter, lest he wouldn't be hired.

Did you read Tony's article?

The source also claims that Showalter was Peter Angelos’ choice and not Andy MacPhail’s. According to the source, MacPhail wanted Eric Wedge to be manager.

Angelos can overrule MacPhail, it's his team and his money.

Andy may toe the company line when it comes to questions about him wanting Showalter or not, but I think you'll find this was done with him protesting all the way...

I just think it will be very intersting to see what kind of control Showalter gets or what was compromised. I can't imagine a GM/manager myself, so I'm guessing there's going to be some type of power sharing with showalter having a great say in personnel matters.

Either way, I will find it very hard to believe that two strong personalities like MacPhail and Showalter will exist for long, at least not in harmony.

I think bringing in Showalter is what this organization needs. How the power is shared or divided up should be fascinating.

I think that bringing in Buck to sorta be sort of a Quasi-GM could be a good idea. Having that dual power could be helpful as he would have first hand knowledge of his players and can implement his plan across the minors and help bring in his type of players.

But I won't be surprised if it doesn't work. I mean I am not sure how you can expect Buck's focus to be on the day to day grind of managing all the while being concerned about player personnel issues that go on thru-out the season.

I mean it could be a great idea if it works, but there is a possibility that it won't...

See what I did there.