section36

Wynn Pelzer

My buddy played against him and said he has never seen a easier 98.

His Radar Gun is on the Roids! :) I cant find anything that says he throws harder then 93-96.. I agree with everyone hopefully he can be useful.

His Radar Gun is on the Roids! :) I cant find anything that says he throws harder then 93-96.. I agree with everyone hopefully he can be useful.

To be fair, most of the reports we have read are evaluating him as a starter. It is pretty common for guys to add a few mph to their fastball when moved to the pen.

To be fair, most of the reports we have read are evaluating him as a starter. It is pretty common for guys to add a few mph to their fastball when moved to the pen.

This was when he was a closer at SC thanks.

Really? Like who? Where does our team ERA rank once again? (Please let AO answer this one please peeps)

We have had very few pitching prospects not able to move through the system because of development. Just because they haven't pitched lights out yet doesn't mean our minor league development has been a failure.

• Upvote 1

I don't see the McCrory comparison. Pelzer is a much better prospect than McCrory ever has been. Pelzer has better control and misses more bats (looking at K% and looking at how each performed from full season ball and above).

At the same levels of pro ball, Pelzer has been younger, he's played in the two most difficult environments for pitchers between the two (California and Texas League), and most importantly, Pelzer has done this as a starter. McCrory has always been a reliever and he's never been a particularly good one.

Question was limited to the O's system. McCrory, based on physicality and stuff, was the closest I could think of off the top of my head. If you have a better comp, I'm happy to listen and agree.

I'm pleased with this return. Though not perfect, the Orioles have been successful at getting pitchers to improve their command. Britton, Hernandez, Arrieta (?) and Tillman all cut back their walks under Orioles' tutelage in the minors. Sounds like he's got a lot of talent.

Furthermore, the Orioles are showing a lot more confidence, under AM, in their abilities to develop raw talent. I like this approach.

Is anyone going to throw out a comp that isn't a FB pitcher? Do people just not pay attention to GB rate? Is that why some people are calling his stats "garbage?"

[b]Just Wynn, Baby              Spoone!!![/b]Lev Age K/9 BB/9 HR/9 GO/AO  Age K/9 BB/9 HR/9 GO/AOR+                            19 9.9 4.7  1.1  2.62A    22 7.6 2.4  0.7  1.76    20 6.3 5.6  0.3  1.66A+   23 8.8 3.5  0.4  2.00    21 7.9 4.0  0.5  2.67AA   24 7.9 5.3  0.9  1.25    24 5.9 5.1  0.9  1.70

It just amuses the hell out of me when folks who don't have a clue what they're talking about go on the offensive trying to show other folks up. Tell us again how awful this trade is, big guy. We're all listening with baited breath. I sincerely appreciate the amusement. Maybe next you'll adopt the JTrea tactic and tell us how "we already have too much pitching". lol

I've written it before, but I'll write it again. Thank God some of you don't run this team. This trade is a really good one. I applaud Andy for getting someone with this much upside for 2 months of a 3B with a 680 OPS. I'm amazed the Pads did it to be honest.

Amen, brother. Preach.

I don't really follow the minors much, so allow me to echo the thoughts of a large contingent of Hangouters:

"What the heck is a Wynn Pelzer?"

:D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Seems like a fun spot to put this.  Of course this is very early in the contract.  
    • It’s an aspect of the Anthropocene. In the old days it rained, it created a swamp, you went home. Now we have to interpret the degree to which our ability to stop the swamp from happening was within our control or not. A hurricane: official game. A gear on your retractable dome fails: suspend the game. Your grounds crew pulls a Three Stooges: ???
    • o    BALTIMORE O RIOLES TBD Alexander Miller Cobb - RHP )) (1-1, 2.51 ERA)   PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES TBD Zachary Harrison Wheeeler - RHP )) (2-0, 2.08 ERA) ) *   * )) Leads the National League in Winning Percentage (1.000)   https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups   o
    • How does your analysis square with this language that suggests that a mechanical failure that is the but for cause of a game not resuming does not result in a suspended game? “If a game is halted by weather, and subsequent light failure or an intervening curfew or time limit prevents its resumption, the game shall not be a suspended game.”  
    • That’s actually pretty clear, points for you!
    • The weather clause only "trumps" the equipment malfunction clause in the sense that, IF the equipment didn't malfunction (or was unintentionally used improperly), THEN the equipment malfunction clause isn't grounds for suspending the game anyway. If the equipment malfunction (or unintentional misuse thereof) IS the proximate cause (the most direct event) of the game being unable to be completed today, then the rule kicks in and the game is suspended.  Think about it this way: "But for" the grounds crew's failure to use the tarp properly, the game would have resumed less than an hour after the rain started, because there wasn't enough rain to call the game under "normal" circumstances, because a reasonably deployed tarp would have kept the infield playable after a small amount of work on it after the rain. There is no amount of rain that can fall in 15 minutes that would prevent a reasonably competent 21st century grounds crew from successfully using a tarp or other device (e.g. closing a roof) to prevent the field from getting so wet that the game can't be resumed the same day. The only way the Orioles should've been entitled to a 5-game win today is if the rain was so persistent, or the volume of it so high, that despite correct procedures being taken, the amount of time required to wait out the rain and then make the field playable would've been unreasonably long in the judgment of the umpires. But that didn't happen, so one of two things should have happened today: either (1) the grounds crew correctly deployed the tarp, and we resumed the game about an hour later, or (2) the grounds crew did not correctly deploy the tarp, and we resume the game another date.  Seems perfectly straightforward to me. This is how law in the US works, by, the way. If someone punches you in the face, you can't then fall on the ground and decide to intentionally roll around in a bed of nails, then sue for both the punch and the injuries from the nails. The guy who punched you is responsible for the punch, but not for you deciding to roll around in the bed of nails.  Here is the precedential case law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palsgraf_v._Long_Island_Railroad_Co.
    • There's a whole discussion in the last few pages of the game thread.  Rules have different things to say about games where the weather says you can't resume, or games where non weather causes like electrical or grounds crew failures.  All the specific rules are quoted there, and they are hard to interpret.  Go there for the gory details if you want.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now