UMDTerrapins

Ryan Berry/Matt Hobgood

Does anyone know why Berry was pitching in relief and why Hobgood was lifted after 3 hitters (2 singles and a home run)?

I believe Berry is pitching in relief, because they want to limit his innings. Hobgood had to leave the game early because of back spasms.

• Upvote 1

I believe Berry is pitching in relief, because they want to limit his innings. Hobgood had to leave the game early because of back spasms.

I hope it was just a precaution, and that he'll be able to pitch his next turn. Going just on the numbers, Hobgood may need a solid August to earn a promotion to Frederick next spring.

How many decent performers did we get out of last year's-say-top ten picks. Any?They're either hurt or just plain lousy or both. About the only decent prospect of the lot is Townsend and he can't stay in the lineup.

The Hobgood-O-Meter.......after tonight's line

Delmarva

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Hobgood, M 0.0 3 3 3 0 0 1 4.91

Jordan should be packing his bags right about 3 years ago.

I have been saying for 2 years now to anyone that would listen that the root of our problems begin with player scouting and development. MacPhail and Showalter need to address this as soon as possible.

• Upvote 1

Nice job by Berry in his first relief outing, 3 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 4 K's. The O's have been very careful with him this year, and he has responded well. I'd be interested to know what the plan will be for Berry next year. Will they take the gloves off and let him increase his innings as a starter, or will they move him to the bullpen? Tony has said he likes him better as a reliever than a starter, but I'd guess the O's will leave him in a starting role next year.

Nice job by Berry in his first relief outing, 3 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 4 K's. The O's have been very careful with him this year, and he has responded well. I'd be interested to know what the plan will be for Berry next year. Will they take the gloves off and let him increase his innings as a starter, or will they move him to the bullpen? Tony has said he likes him better as a reliever than a starter, but I'd guess the O's will leave him in a starting role next year.

My guess is they'll let him start and increase his innings by about 30-35, which has become pretty much industry-wide standard practice.

Even if the organization sees him as a reliever I don't think they'll make the full time switch until Norfolk at the earliest. That is, unless a need arises and they view him as a guy they can fast track to the 2011 ML pen. I don't see that need at the moment, though.

I have been saying for 2 years now to anyone that would listen that the root of our problems begin with player scouting and development. MacPhail and Showalter need to address this as soon as possible.

Yeah the Rowell and Hopgood picks were a pretty big blow to his resume.

Yeah the Rowell and Hopgood picks were a pretty big blow to his resume.

I think you have to look at his drafts as a whole, rather than focusing on a couple of picks. Every team blows a no. 1 pick with some frequency. I recently looked at the 17 college pitchers chosen in the top 5 picks over the last 10 years, and it was pretty amazing how few of them had been impact pitchers in the majors. And that's the college guys, who have a better chance to make it to the majors than the high school guys do.

It's also too soon to annoint Hobgood as a failed pick. I will grant you that his 2010 results have been disappointing, but it is too soon for any grand pronouncements on Hobgood.

In a very odd coincidence considering the thread title here, today is the birthday of both Ryan Berry (22) and Matt Hobgood (20).

At 22, Berry is the 4th-youngest member of the Keys, behind L.J. Hoes (3/5/90), Xavier Avery (1/1/90), and Billy Rowell (9/10/88). Yep, Rowell is still the 3rd-youngest on the team, even after repeating the league twice.

At 20, Hobgood is the youngest member of the Shorebirds. Of the other Shorebirds, only Mychal Givens (5/13/90) and Bobby Bundy (1/13/90) were born in 1990. In fact, only two other teammates (Rosa and Planeta) were born in 1989.

At 20, Hobgood is the youngest member of the Shorebirds. Of the other Shorebirds, only Mychal Givens (5/13/90) and Bobby Bundy (1/13/90) were born in 1990.

Why is Jesse Beal (7/12/90) now on Aberdeen's roster? Oh, wait - I forgot:

Ask not for whom the Beal toils...

I don't think Jordan's resume can take a hit for Rowell (nor Matusz) because both were rated highly by the experts if I'm not mistaken. If they don't pan out, you can't blame Jordan for that. Maybe they just didn't have it or maybe player development didn't have it.

I do blame somebody for Hobgood.In fact I blame somebody for that entire draft because, to date, it's been a disaster.

Why is Jesse Beal (7/12/90) now on Aberdeen's roster? Oh, wait - I forgot:
Ask not for whom the Beal toils...

Actually, that's a very good question. He also hasn't pitched since July 22. Maybe they just wanted to give him some rest, but didn't want to DL him, and needed to open a roster spot for another starter?

Assuming he returns, Beal would be the 2nd youngest player on the Shorebirds.

I don't think Jordan's resume can take a hit for Rowell (nor Matusz) because both were rated highly by the experts if I'm not mistaken. If they don't pan out, you can't blame Jordan for that. Maybe they just didn't have it or maybe player development didn't have it.

I do blame somebody for Hobgood.In fact I blame somebody for that entire draft because, to date, it's been a disaster.

Fortunately, nobody cares about a draft's report card 14 months after it was conducted. The early returns have been very poor, but they are just that, early returns. If even just one of these guys ends up making big strides down the road and becomes an above average Major League starter, it'll have been a good draft. Still plenty of time. Hopefully we'll see a lot more progress next year.