1) Trade for a blocked first baseman.

2) Sign Lee or Kotchman for defensive purposes...Lee is preferably because he will provide the better offense in all likelihood.

Trade for Furcal and sign Crawford.

Then, use Pie or Jones, along with one of the young starters and go out and get a James Shields type guy...or even trade a little less and get Marcum.

Offense, defense, pitching and speed improved....We then go for Fielder or AGon in the offseason, as neither of them are likely to extend before then.

Exactly. There are tons of options, all kinds of ways to build winning baseball teams. This monomaniacal obsession with big, rich first basemen is ridiculous.

Exactly. There are tons of options, all kinds of ways to build winning baseball teams. This monomaniacal obsession with big, rich first basemen is ridiculous.

The voice of reason!

I like big, rich first basemen, and I hope the O's sign one, when they become free agents. I think we agree, the problem comes when you want to trade away several good young players to rent them for one season.

I'll take this opportunity to repeat my belief that trading several good young, cost-controlled players for one year of one player on a team that'll be trying it's darnedest to get to .500 is stupendously dumb.

I think this sums it up perfectly.

Our best option at first base is to target one that is blocked and I'd be willing to use Tillman or Arrieta to get one though I'm not sure how much value either have at the moment.

For information purposes only;

"Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Lyle Overbay has cleared waivers and could be on the move according to an online report. Overbay was not in the starting lineup Thursday vs. the Red Sox as Adam Lind was scheduled to play first base. Foxsports.com reported Thursday that a major league source confirmed the 33-year-old wasn't claimed by any teams. The report states that he would be a perfect fit in Tampa Bay where the Rays are hitting a just .215 in their last 19 games."

What teams are going to need 1B this FA? Chisox, Cubs, Jays, Rays, SF, Gnat's, O's? That's 7 teams for Dunn, Konerko, Pena, Lee, Huff, LaRoche, Glaus, Berkman, VMart(not including, Overbay, Hinske, Helms, Branyon, Johnson, Cantu, and Wiggi). Who goes where, and who will be in on Fielder and AGonz in 2012? As I see it, Boston signs Beltre long term and our main competition for these two will be the Chisox, SF and possibly the BJays...:scratchchinhmm:

What teams are going to need 1B this FA? Chisox, Cubs, Jays, Rays, SF, Gnat's, O's? That's 7 teams for Dunn, Konerko, Pena, Lee, Huff, LaRoche, Glaus, Berkman, VMart(not including, Overbay, Hinske, Helms, Branyon, Johnson, Cantu, and Wiggi). Who goes where, and who will be in on Fielder and AGonz in 2012? As I see it, Boston signs Beltre long term and our main competition for these two will be the Chisox, SF and possibly the BJays...:scratchchinhmm:

I agree that Boston will sign Beltre long term but how does this preclude them from going after Fielder or Gonzalez? I think there is a better than even chance that they land one of the two.

I agree that Boston will sign Beltre long term but how does this preclude them from going after Fielder or Gonzalez? I think there is a better than even chance that they land one of the two.
Why would they do this? Youkalis is just as good. They need a C more than they need AGonz or Fielder. They should sign Beltre, Werth and a C, this FA.

Why would they do this? Youkalis is just as good. They need a C more than they need AGonz or Fielder. They should sign Beltre, Werth and a C, this FA.
Okay, good point. I was thinking along the lines of a replacement for Ortiz.

Boston is not going to sign Beltre LT.

They'll take the two draft picks for him, trade for Adrian Gonzalez and move Puke to 3B.

Okay, good point. I was thinking along the lines of a replacement for Ortiz.
I doubt either Fielder or AGonz would agree to be a DH. They should spend money on a C and/or a TOR SP, like Lee. I see the O's, Chisox, and SF signing a stop like Lee, Berkman, Glaus, or Huff, for one year, and going hard after one of AGonz and Fielder in FA 2012.

They'll take the two draft picks for him, trade for Adrian Gonzalez and move Puke to 3B.

Yea I don't see Boston signing Beltre long term either.

Not sure they end up with AGon or not but I would be surprised if Beltre is in their long term plans.

I would think they are the #1 option for AGon but they have had a rough year prospect wise, so that could come into play.

I don't see why not. It makes more sense than trading away your best prospects for AGonz, who is not an upgrade over Youkalis IMO. With Beltre you get great defense and better than L.A. OPS.

I don't see why not. It makes more sense than trading away your best prospects for AGonz, who is not an upgrade over Youkalis IMO. With Beltre you get great defense and better than L.A. OPS.

BEcause they may not believe he is as good as he has shown and there are a lot of big money teams that could potentially need a third baseman.

With Luke under control and having a great year with some consistency, why the rush for drastic changes that could push him out?

Keep him as a DH and backup 1B/LF.

Make a serious trade offer for Uggla to play 1B (also 2B/3B backup). A consistent power bat from the right side is exactly what the Orioles need. Dan would be a great backup if Roberts goes down again. And if he leaves via FA, the Orioles could use those draft picks to balance off a huge FA signing (when more potent options become available).

SS and a #1 type SP should be priorities over 1B, IMO.