Sports Guy

Seriously...what is up with Wieters?

Fair enough. I guess I'm confused at to why you asked that question in that thread, but whatever.

BTW, you posted this 3 times, thus gurgi's comment.

Well, then you shouldn't have asked me that question. ;)

Because we both know that if I didn't answer you that you would be asking me, why didn't you answer this.

Uhhhhhh, there's a lot of value in having one of the better defensive catchers in the league.

But for the record, I'm still not all that worried yet about his lack of offense.

Yea there is although I don't know if he is one of the better defensive catchers in the league right now.

But if that is what we have to hang our hat on about Wieters, then he will be an enormous disappointment.

Well he throws well and he blocks the ball well, but his game calling leaves a lot to be desired.

I believe he's had 1 passed ball all season. There's a lot to be said for a guy you can count on to block an 0-2 slider in the dirt with a guy standing on third base.

But there was no reason to bring up that point for no reason.

On your Cubs boards, how many threads have you started about Castro maybe being a bust? What about your top prospects? Provide us with links where you sit there and just question these guys time and time again.

Discussions about prospects on NSBB are much different than they are here. Most folks there have the same conservative, low expectation perspective I have.

Just as an example, over there expectations for Chris Archer are much more cautiously optimistic than they are for Chris Britton here. Realistically, Archer will probably be above Britton on the next round of prospect lists.

Just my perspective of course.

To be honest, I would need to know more about how Wieters looked in college and early in his MiL career vs now.

If his approach, swing, etc...has always been this way, then I would do that trade in a second.

I'm sure Wieters looked great while hitting .350 in the minors with an OPS around 1.000. He didn't get worse. The pitching got better. As MWeb pointed out, it certainly looked like you asked that question (Wieters for Posey?) as if you felt the correct answer was "no".

Discussions about prospects on NSBB are much different than they are here. Most folks there have the same conservative, low expectation perspective I have.

Just as an example, over there expectations for Chris Archer are much more cautiously optimistic than they are for Chris Britton here. Realistically, Archer will probably be above Britton on the next round of prospect lists.

Zach Britton.

Not throwin' stones, just sayin'. Chris Britton liked him some cheeseburgers.

I don't think any of us care about Chris Britton...We dealt him years ago and he was a reliever at best...and yes, I know you likely meant Zach Britton but if you are going to complain about how we discuss prospects, at least get their freakin names right.

Zach Britton.

Not throwin' stones, just sayin'. Chris Britton liked him some cheeseburgers.

Ah. I stand corrected!

I'm sure Wieters looked great while hitting .350 in the minors with an OPS around 1.000. He didn't get worse. The pitching got better. As MWeb pointed out, it certainly looked like you asked that question (Wieters for Posey?) as if you felt the correct answer was "no".

I was actually just wondering if you applied the idea of a SSS with Wieters and Posey like you are with Matusz and Cahill.

Well, then you shouldn't have asked me that question. ;)

Because we both know that if I didn't answer you that you would be asking me, why didn't you answer this.

This made me lolz.

I don't think any of us care about Chris Britton...We dealt him years ago and he was a reliever at best...and yes, I know you likely meant Zach Britton but if you are going to complain about how we discuss prospects, at least get their freakin names right.

Good thing there wasn't too much hype about Jeff Samardjia. :)

The thing that I'm having trouble getting my head around is how he finished last year. He looked completely different. He was locked in, hitting everything hard...we call his bat slow now, last year it looked effortless.

What happened to that guy?

It'd be interesting if IHeartMasn could cue up some video from last year when he was killing it in September compared to now.

I don't want to give up on the guy but he's making it really hard right now.

I compared the differences between Wieters' swing from 2008 and 2010 last month. Here is the link:

Matt Wieters mechanics

It's not a perfect analysis as the angles of each swing are a little different, which complicates matters and I couldn't find the necessary clips to compare his right hand side swing, but it does give you a nice synopsis of the changes Wieters has undergone over the last couple of years.

• Upvote 3

I don't generally get into these discussion because I don't have command of baseball language when it comes to such things, but let me throw in my two cents:

Wieters certainly seems less comfortable from the right side of the plate. I think this was brought up in another post, but perhaps he needs to concentrate on one side for now.

Again, another poster noted this, but when he ends his swing with one hand, he doesn't seem to make the best contact (should that even make a difference?).

I feel, and it is only a feeling, that Matt will come around in September and that next year we will see major strides in his hitting numbers. The guy doesn't seem like he's uncomfortable all the time (the dugout, catching, hitting from the left side), and thus, I feel he will eventually transfer that relaxed state into his hitting.

Finally, while I don't generally think working with an outside hitting coach is a great thing, I think this off-season Matt needs to work with someone other than the Crow.