Gurgi

Now where do we put Machado?

If Hoes and Avery made Delmarva, I can't imagine them not giving Machado a shot, unless he completely bombs in the spring.

If Machado isn't able to make Delmarva's team out of spring training, the Hobgood skepticism will seem like the Easter Parade in comparison. :)

The GCL team is about to get crowded with Narron, Machado and Mosby for the left side of the infield.

Narron is playing SS right now with Mosby at 3B.

Considering how dreadful Mosby has been, my guess is that Narron will move to 3B to let Machado play SS when he's ready...

If Hoes and Avery made Delmarva, I can't imagine them not giving Machado a shot, unless he completely bombs in the spring.

Difference though is that Avery and Hoes got a fair number of ABs at the GCL before they jumped to Delmarva the following season.....But, regardless, he should be able to jump to Delmarva based off of what his skillset sounds like...

Not a sarcastic question:

Is Manny Machado instantly the best Orioles prospect? If you still consider guys like Matusz a 'prospect' (the way Fangraphs did), then is Machado the best Orioles prospect not to have played yet in the majors?

Some lists will have him as the top prospect. He and Britton are neck and neck for me. They are both B+ prospects. Right now I give Britton the edge, but if Machado can get in some GCL games and look good I might give him the nod. Defense is the determining factor for me on Machado.

The GCL team is about to get crowded with Narron, Machado and Mosby for the left side of the infield.

Narron is playing SS right now with Mosby at 3B.

Considering how dreadful Mosby has been, my guess is that Narron will move to 3B to let Machado play SS when he's ready...

This was always the plan. Narron was never going to be a SS.

If Machado isn't able to make Delmarva's team out of spring training, the Hobgood skepticism will seem like the Easter Parade in comparison. :)

In roughly the last five years almost all high school position players taken in the first ten picks have gone to the Sally League or the Midwest League. A small handful (Vitters, maybe one or two others) have gone to the Northwest or the NY-Penn leagues. This is for the player's first full year - many signed early enough to get in a few Appy/GCL/etc games the year they were drafted.

I think we can be about 90% sure he'll end up at Delmarva next year, with a slight chance he goes to Aberdeen.

This I agree with 100%.

Some lists will have him as the top prospect. He and Britton are neck and neck for me. They are both B+ prospects.

Hmmm. :scratchchinhmm:

I'm assuming that Machado will be listed as an A-, but I may be uninformed on how a high schooler is listed.

Based off of Joe Jordan's comments on tonites pre-game I would say he is destined for Delmarva. Said the attraction to him grew last year watching him against international competition and wood bat showcase leagues. Impressive pick.

Comping minor leaguers or guys who haven't played a single game of pro ball, to established superstars, always seems funny to me.

Machado = ARod

Wieters = Mauer (yeah right :rolleyes:)

Sorry, I'm a little pissed at Wieters play this season...

Have they actually announced yet what they are going to do with him and when he will get rolling? Any chance they just send him to Aberdeen to get some at bats?

Have they actually announced yet what they are going to do with him and when he will get rolling? Any chance they just send him to Aberdeen to get some at bats?

Jordan has said he hopes he can get some time in at the GCL.

MacPhail has said he doesn't know if they'll be able to get him any game time.

Yes. As much as I like Britton, Machado could be a future superstar.

Most likely Machado works out with Aberdeen and starts 2011 in Delmarva.

I agree. On prospect status alone he is up there with the likes of ARod or HanRam. Hopefully he pans out like either, or both of them (except without the attitude that both seem to bring).

Some lists will have him as the top prospect. He and Britton are neck and neck for me. They are both B+ prospects.

It seems to me that Machado has to go down as unrated, if you don't believe in rating guys who haven't played yet, or he goes down as an A/A- based on how he was rated coming out of high school. He was considered the clear #3 pick, and Jim Callis of BA says if Macahado and Tim Beckhman had graduated high school at the same time, Machado would have graded higher than Beckham. I fully expect him to be the top-rated guy in our system.

Hmmm. :scratchchinhmm:

I'm assuming that Machado will be listed as an A-, but I may be uninformed on how a high schooler is listed.

It seems to me that Machado has to go down as unrated, if you don't believe in rating guys who haven't played yet, or he goes down as an A/A- based on how he was rated coming out of high school. He was considered the clear #3 pick, and Jim Callis of BA says if Macahado and Tim Beckhman had graduated high school at the same time, Machado would have graded higher than Beckham. I fully expect him to be the top-rated guy in our system.

Sorry, I should have clarified: I consider him a B+ prospect. Most of the high profile scouting publications disagree. I didn't consider him the clear #3 pick. Those who grade him will probably consider him an A prospect.