Orioles_Magic

Who will be our Arizona Fall League Selections?

I'd like to send Hoes given the time he lost due to the illness. But at the same token, he might need the rest.

There's about a 5-6 week gap between the end of the MiL season and the start of the AFL. That should be enough rest for him, if the team decides he needs more reps this year.

One thing -- the teams usually give more playing time to the AA and AAA guys. Snyder hit the snot out of the ball in the AFL in 2008, but he got only about half as many AB's as Wieters and Reimold IIRC.

There's about a 5-6 week gap between the end of the MiL season and the start of the AFL. That should be enough rest for him, if the team decides he needs more reps this year.

One thing -- the teams usually give more playing time to the AA and AAA guys. Snyder hit the snot out of the ball in the AFL in 2008, but he got only about half as many AB's as Wieters and Reimold IIRC.

Wasn't Snyder there as an alternate? I think some of the slots require that the player in question can only play certain days. I do not think the level they were playing at is the determining factor.

McPhail and Stockstill set through a doubleheader and rain to watch the AA Bowie Baysox tonight. I wonder who they were looking at? I tried to peek a little and it seemed (to me) All eyes were on Mahoney, Adams and Guzman during their at bats in both games. But who knows.

I was told that Caleb Joseph is going to the Arizona Fall League. I think this could be a big step to see how he does against other top prospects. I think he is well thought of by the brass, even after having a disappointing season.

Edited by Mitch Connor

I was told that Caleb Joseph is going to the Arizona Fall League. I think this could be big step to see how he does against other top prospects. I think he is well though of by the brass, even after having a disappointing season.

Confirmed...Caleb is definitely going

• Upvote 1

I've heard rumors that Townsend will be traveling to Arizona in place of Mahoney, who's getting married this offseason.

Townsend should definitely go. He's done very well when healthy this year but he needs reps. He's a perfect candidate for the AFL.

Mahoney should go too (if the AFL doesn't conflict with his wedding plans or if it's possible to reschedule). I noticed that Mahoney played LF yesterday--maybe the club is trying to improve his flexibility so that both he and Townsend could go to the AFL?

McPhail and Stockstill set through a doubleheader and rain to watch the AA Bowie Baysox tonight. I wonder who they were looking at? I tried to peek a little and it seemed (to me) All eyes were on Mahoney, Adams and Guzman during their at bats in both games. But who knows.

Xavier Avery may be our #2 prospect behind Zach Britton right now. I'm sure they were watching him closely.

I guess they feel that Avery's too young.

Guess you missed this:

The Orioles are also expected to send an outfielder to the Arizona Fall League, but that players apparently hasn't been deterimined. Xavier Avery would seem to be a logical choice, but we shall see.

It would be very strange if Avery didn't crack the roster after his seemingly random early promotion, though he has done well since the promotion.

It would be very strange if Avery didn't crack the roster after his seemingly random early promotion, though he has done well since the promotion.

Hopefully that player is Avery, he has done more than enough to deserve this oppurtunity.

Also although his promotion does seem random, he replaced a struggling Daniel Figueroa at CF, now Bowie has a solid lead off hitter in Avery, who has already made an impact and will help them do well in the playoffs.

Guess you missed this:

Indeed I did, Murph.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Guess you missed this:

I actually think Tyler Henson may get the call over Avery. I think next year would be the ideal year to send Avery.