RZNJ

Machado, Schoop, and Givens

We knew there was a gap between Wieters, Tillman, Arrietta, Matusz, Bell, Reimold and Snyder to the next wave. The investment was made in the next wave and we are seeing some kids move quick - especially when a legit international prospect is added in.

IMO, our overall system is in fairly decent shape considering the graduations. I think our overall system depth will be deeper, stronger and better spread through the system in another two years than in recent memory.

I had a chance to grab a few of Aberdeen's last games and I've been going over them the past couple of days. Some thoughts...

To start, Aberdeen's camera angle leaves a lot to be desired, but what I wanted to see most was a player's approach at the plate, their patience, whether they were taking good pitches, etc.

The three guys I focused on were Givens, Machado, and Narron. Narron I wasn't as impressed with from a performance standpoint and he has a lot of development ahead of him, but he really does try to work the count and be patient in his ABs even though he has to work on his pitch recognition.

But Givens and Machado I came away really impressed by. Givens was extremely patient, really worked the count, laid off borderline pitches, and showed a quick bat by turning on a couple of fastballs and placing them over the left field wall for a home run. He was out in front on some off-speed pitches and he'll have to work on keeping his weight back in general. His footwork is also a little off defensively, which will lead to some inaccurate throws to first base. I was surprised by

Machado wasn't as patient as Givens, but he still worked the count well and he had the better approach, using the entire field rather than always pulling the ball like Givens seemed to do. It was nice to see how advanced he seems to be as a hitter for his age. Defensively he looked smooth and he seems to exude confidence as well.

So all in all, some nice developments in a system that definitely needs some.

• Upvote 1

Could Givens eventually move to 2B?

There seems t be some support for that, but the Orioles will give him lots of looks at all three positions (SS,3B, 2B) in the mini-camp at Camden Yards. I imagine his work there will help determine where he plays next season.

It is great to hear about Givens - thanks Tony. It seems like forever ago that we drafted him ... then weren't sure we were going to sign him ... then questions about his attitude ... then injuries. I think I'm most happy this year to see Givens, Avery, and Townsend stand and deliver. To me those guys are very important swing picks over the past few years. If they produce it sure makes Joe's drafts look a lot better and it makes the organization seem a lot healthier.

Just wondering - why had I never heard of Schoop until about a month ago? Where did he come from? Was he highly touted?
International FA signing. I believe from Venezuela.

It is great to hear about Givens - thanks Tony. It seems like forever ago that we drafted him ... then weren't sure we were going to sign him ... then questions about his attitude ... then injuries. I think I'm most happy this year to see Givens, Avery, and Townsend stand and deliver. To me those guys are very important swing picks over the past few years. If they produce it sure makes Joe's drafts look a lot better and it makes the organization seem a lot healthier.

Speaking of his attitude, I was told that he's very cerebral and helps his teammates whenever he can. After lining out after a long at bat, he went over to the on deck batter and told him what the pitcher was throwing. He then walked into the dugout and told the next few guys who were due up. You don't hear about these things very often.

Speaking of his attitude, I was told that he's very cerebral and helps his teammates whenever he can. After lining out after a long at bat, he went over to the on deck batter and told him what the pitcher was throwing. He then walked into the dugout and told the next few guys who were due up. You don't hear about these things very often.

He did that when we saw him last week as well. I was certainly impressed.

Speaking of his attitude, I was told that he's very cerebral and helps his teammates whenever he can...

Was a good student and winner of the Aflac All-American Baseball Classic Jackie Robinson Award the summer between his junior and senior year. Work ethic and approach wasn't something I was particularly concerned with, and it's nice to hear that he is taking a leadership role at the pro ranks similar to what he did at the HS ranks.

Very glad to hear this swing and approach were playing at the end of the year and looking forward to seeing what he looks like in the HiA playoffs and next year.

He did that when we saw him last week as well. I was certainly impressed.

That's awesome. On one hand, I want them to play on different teams, so they can both stick at SS - giving the O's a better chance of one of them becoming a ML SS. But otoh, I'd like them to be teammates, because I get the feeling they could develop a chemistry/rivalry thing with both pushing the other to become students of the game - a Jim Rice/Fred Lynn thing or Whitaker/Trammell, Grich/Baylor?

Matos/Bigbie? :D

I don't want to be a downer, but I am not too excited about Givens yet. Yes I love his numbers, but he is a 20-year old at Aberdeen who was drafted out of high school (a little old for a guy with no college experience). Givens is the same age as Avery (who is in Bowie now at 20) and Hoes, who will both be in Bowie next year. Machado is over two years younger than Givens and Narron is about a year-and-a-half younger than Givens. Now, if Givens starts next season and Frederick and posts similar numbers to what he is doing now, then I will be very excited.

I am super excited about Machado though, he just seems to have that "it" factor. I am excited about Schoop too. Hopefully Tony is right and Schoop gets a chance to start at Frederick next year. A 19-year old, international shortstop prospect at Frederick would be exciting, as we never seem to have these sort of players in our system.

Tony, any chance we see Givens at 2B and Schoop at SS starting in Frederick next year?

Was a good student and winner of the Aflac All-American Baseball Classic Jackie Robinson Award the summer between his junior and senior year. Work ethic and approach wasn't something I was particularly concerned with, and it's nice to hear that he is taking a leadership role at the pro ranks similar to what he did at the HS ranks.

Very glad to hear this swing and approach were playing at the end of the year and looking forward to seeing what he looks like in the HiA playoffs and next year.

That's great to hear. I never heard much about Givens' work ethic and positive attitude.