Should Flacco be benched?

Should Flacco be benched?  

107 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should Flacco be benched?

• Yes
    • No, but if this keeps up, it won't be long before we have no choice
    • No

BTW, over 50% now want Flacco bench or are willing to bench him soon if he doesn't turn it around. It will be interesteding to see this poll if he plays poorly again next week.

Didn't you get the memo? This thread is reactionary and it's a ridiculous question. :rolleyes:

;)

Riiight, because clearly the majority wanted Troy Smith. :rolleyestf:

I'm talking about casual football fans that call in and complain to talkshows and want joe benched right now. It's reactionary.

You have very low expectations for our offense then. I want an offense like the Colts or the Texans. If Flacco is incapable of doing that then draft someone or bring someone in who can.

I grew up a Niners fan and I love offensive football. We are not supposed to be the Billick-ball Ravens anymore. I think your expectations are way too low.

Why? I just want us to win games no matter how we do it. I don't care if the score is 3-2 every week.

Last year, the Steelers had the NFL's 5th best defense and the NFL 3rd highest running game. Ben also threw for 4,300 yards and 26 TDs and completed an astounding 67% of his passes.

They finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs despite firing on all cylinders.

You seem to have a fascination with the Ravens becoming some good looking team that wins lots of games on style. That's not who we are. You also seem to think that if Flacco isn't in the conversation with Manning and Brady, then he's not the guy. He's not and won't be that type of player.

I think the preseason hype has gotten to you Tony.

Holy crap, he has played two playoff defenses ON THE ROAD IN HOSTILE ENVIORNMENTS! Let him get his confidence back at home against the Browns and see how he does vs Pitt on the road. How many teams go on the road for the first two games of the season against playoff teams and expect to win convincingly and be 2-0?

Why? I just want us to win games no matter how we do it. I don't care if the score is 3-2 every week.

Last year, the Steelers had the NFL's 5th best defense and the NFL 3rd highest running game. Ben also threw for 4,300 yards and 26 TDs and completed an astounding 67% of his passes.

You seem to have a fascination with the Ravens becoming some good looking team that wins lots of games on style. That's not who we are. You also seem to think that if Flacco isn't in the conversation with Manning and Brady, then he's not the guy. He's not and won't be that type of player.

For the most part, a team that wins games "3-2" has a much smaller margin for error than a team that also has a legit offense. The Ravens didn't bring in Boldin and Housh to win games "3-2". And, they don't have the secondary to hang their hats on winning games "3-2".

You say that's now who "we are", but I'd argue it's not who "they were". That offense has an elite RB, a very good OL, a pro bowl WR, 2 other very good WR, solid TE, and solid backup RBs. If that kind of offense has to win games "3-2", something else is seriously wrong. The offense was upgraded so that they didn't have to count on defensive shut outs every single week, was it not?

Kinda-sorta related to the topic here, but does anyone here think that Aaron Rodgers would be this good if he'd been thrown into a starting job as a rookie or 2nd year guy? He sat on the bench (and was yanked around with the Favre soap opera) for a long time, and had the mental stress of dealing with all of the aforementioned Favre bullcrap. But he got to watch from the sideline and learn a system for a long time before he had to cary the team.

If Flacco were to sit and watch Bulger (who I think has some good games left in him) for the remainder of the season, do you think it would be a good or bad thing for him? I don't know much about him: is he a sensitive guy, or is he a fairly mentally-tough player? Could he take a demotion like that positively, knowing that it's for the good of the future of the team AND him as a player?

I have never hidden the fact that I love offensive football. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate or enjoy the Ravens defense, it's just I prefer to watch high scoring football like the Redskins-Texans game last night.

Of course I just want the Ravens to win, but there is no reason with the weapons we have that we should not be able to score some consistent points.

As for the hype, it was warranted. It did not take into consideration that Flacco would regress, hype never does. ;)

LOL...I am just pointing out that the offense I mentioned was the Ravens last year.

Top 10 in points scored and around 25 a game.

I don't see why we can't be that again.

How much was that due to the defense though?

Plus, they averaged 28.4 points the first 7 games vs 21.33 the last 9, which was helped by a 48 point effort vs the Lions. So not a positive trend.

• Upvote 1

I'm talking about casual football fans that call in and complain to talkshows and want joe benched right now. It's reactionary.

I would agree with you that anyone who called for Troy Smith was not very bright. As for benching Joe, I would not be upset if the Ravens benched him, but I'm willing to give him another half against the Browns to right his ship. If he's still struggling, I think you have to yank him.

Kinda-sorta related to the topic here, but does anyone here think that Aaron Rodgers would be this good if he'd been thrown into a starting job as a rookie or 2nd year guy? He sat on the bench (and was yanked around with the Favre soap opera) for a long time, and had the mental stress of dealing with all of the aforementioned Favre bullcrap. But he got to watch from the sideline and learn a system for a long time before he had to cary the team.

If Flacco were to sit and watch Bulger (who I think has some good games left in him) for the remainder of the season, do you think it would be a good or bad thing for him? I don't know much about him: is he a sensitive guy, or is he a fairly mentally-tough player? Could he take a demotion like that positively, knowing that it's for the good of the future of the team AND him as a player?

I think this is very interesting question. I would be leery that it would actually help Flacco since he's seemed to be very cautious of Bulger from the very beginning. I think it does help a young QB to sit and watch for awhile, but I'm not convinced Flacco is that mentally tough to handle it. I would hope he is, but looking at his facial expressions before that last drive sapped out what little hope I had for him.

I think this is very interesting question. I would be leery that it would actually help Flacco since he's seemed to be very cautious of Bulger from the very beginning. I think it does help a young QB to sit and watch for awhile, but I'm not convinced Flacco is that mentally tough to handle it. I would hope he is, but looking at his facial expressions before that last drive sapped out what little hope I had for him.

That's not a very promising answer. It's not easy to do, but it may be getting close to cutting ties with him while the Ravens can still sell high. He'd bring back a ransom of picks. I bet teams like Seattle and Arizona would give up a ton for him, both in players and picks.

The Ravens should have held onto Troy Smith. Their alternative to Flacco is, really, Marc Bulger?

I never thought Flacco was as good as all the hype. People bought way too heavily into his 6'6 size and etc. without actually figuring out if he was good enough. He was just part of the plan, and folks wanted to see him in there, even though Troy Smith won a Heisman.

BTW: Troy Smith would've been the starter, if he hadn't gotten appendicitis. He still could catch on in San Francisco since Alex Smith's career has never really taken off.

Edited by blid

I would hope he is, but looking at his facial expressions before that last drive sapped out what little hope I had for him.
I think its incredible silly to take so much meaning away from a guy's facial expression.

Not saying body language and things like that don't exist, just that the possibility for misinterpreting something like that over a television broadcast massively outweighs any real information you could glean from it. You may think you learned something from what you saw on tv, but you really didn't, at least not anything meaningful.

The Ravens should have held onto Troy Smith. Their alternative to Flacco is, really, Marc Bulger?

I never thought Flacco was as good as all the hype. People bought way too heavily into his 6'6 size and etc. without actually figuring out if he was good enough. Troy Smith won a Heisman.

So did Gino Torretta...maybe they should have signed him too. I think that you might be the only person - aside from Troy Smith - who thinks he could start in the NFL.

I never thought Flacco was as good as all the hype. People bought way too heavily into his 6'6 size and etc. without actually figuring out if he was good enough. He was just part of the plan, and folks wanted to see him in there, even though Troy Smith won a Heisman.

BTW: Troy Smith would've been the starter, if he hadn't gotten appendicitis. He still could catch on in San Francisco since Alex Smith's career has never really taken off.

Wow, in the time it took me to dig up Miller's post yesterday making the same joke I thought you were making, you edited your post and make it seem like it wasn't a joke, but rather just a terrible opinion.

Miller's post was the funniest thing to come out of an otherwise lousy day of football yesterday. Here it is for all to see again!

We never should've traded Troy Smith. Dude won a Heisman.