Sign in to follow this  
mojmann

TV ratings

I usually go to sleep sometime around 10:30.

Man, you're getting old, Georgia Bird. Do you have a little chamomile tea before you turn in?

Here are some interesting articles on the subject.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2007-10-16-TBS-LCS-ratings_N.htm

There are a couple of things in this interview as well. Only 4-6 percent of kids under 11 watch the World Series.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1594&Itemid=81ll.

One thing that has always bugged me is the claim that kids don't follow baseball as much because the games finish so late. I grew up missing the end of alot of postseason games because I had to go bed and it never stopped me from being a fan. I wish the NLCS games would of started earlier as well but living in a country with three time zones makes things hard. If they would of played the games at 4PM eastern time most of the people in Denver and Phoenix would still be at work, and kids would be in school when the game starts.

Man, you're getting old, Georgia Bird. Do you have a little chamomile tea before you turn in?

Perhaps at some point long ago you were a working man of the people instead of the upper-management, big-city Paris/New York/Birmingham type who sits on his big porch at night smoking (undoubtedly) Cuban cigars. Some of us working stiffs are only semi-retired and need a good night sleep if we are to put in a couple of hours of day trading the next day.

Tony, I want this "moj" man (if that is his real name) poster banned permanently for having the audacity to suggest I would drink such a fruity concoction instead of my decaf Earl Grey with a spot of lemon. :)

1) Overall TV ratings decline because of an exploding array of entertainment choices. Have you seen the desperate panic of the old networks with regard to prime time programming?

2) Apples-to-Oranges comps to the NFL, which only plays once a week. MLB ratings are fine compared to the NBA or NHL.

3) MLB marketing that emphasizes the Yanks and Sox to the exclusion of all else.

4) Longer/more playoff series that makes each game less important.

5) Baseball is the #3 or #4 sport among many young people for a variety of reasons.

6) Baseball is the #2 or #3 sport among many recent immigrants. Soccer ratings for some important games have been larger than some MLB/NBA/NHL playoff games despite the soccer games being only on Spanish-language networks while the "major" sports have mostly been on broadcast networks and ESPN.

Here are some interesting articles on the subject.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2007-10-16-TBS-LCS-ratings_N.htm

There are a couple of things in this interview as well. Only 4-6 percent of kids under 11 watch the World Series.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1594&Itemid=81ll.

That's good stuff eddie. Thanks.

The two teams have a lot to do with it, but in general, sports ratings are going down, there's a lot more to watch on tv, and there's just a lot more entertainment options in general these days.

I think this is basically it. Football on Saturdays and Sundays does well because there isn't much else on. But when you try and show a football or baseball game at the same time as ER or CSI or Grey's Anatomy or something, people are going to watch their shows. I love watching a baseball game on TV, but I can understand why some people don't and would rather watch a football game or something else. Baseball is a slow paced game and people like the faster pace of a football or basketball game. Nothing beats going to a baseball game in person though.

1) Overall TV ratings decline because of an exploding array of entertainment choices. Have you seen the desperate panic of the old networks with regard to prime time programming?

2) Apples-to-Oranges comps to the NFL, which only plays once a week. MLB ratings are fine compared to the NBA or NHL.

3) MLB marketing that emphasizes the Yanks and Sox to the exclusion of all else.

5) Baseball is the #3 or #4 sport among many young people for a variety of reasons.

6) Baseball is the #2 or #3 sport among many recent immigrants. Soccer ratings for some important games have been larger than some MLB/NBA/NHL playoff games despite the soccer games being only on Spanish-language networks while the "major" sports have mostly been on broadcast networks and ESPN.

Agreed.

But I'd put an asterisk by #3.

It's not just the marketing MLB does.

It's what ESPN does and the networks do to hype the teams they like.

Other teams get ignored, so when it's the Rockies vs. Desertsnakes, people act like it's the AAA playoffs.

If they were smart, there'd be a conspiracy amongst the TV people to hype whoever *might* make the playoffs... for sheer profit reasons, if nothing else.

ps: Not that it would matter in Phoenix. People there didn't watch the playoffs either, even though their own team was in it.

TV ratings continue to decline, but sports are more resistant than other TV because 99% of sports is watched live (i.e. it is virtually TiVo-resistant). At least that's what I was taught.

TV ratings continue to decline, but sports are more resistant than other TV because 99% of sports is watched live (i.e. it is virtually TiVo-resistant). At least that's what I was taught.

I Tivo sports.

If you eliminate the dead time and commercials an NFL game lasts about 10 minutes.

I Tivo sports.

If you eliminate the dead time and commercials an NFL game lasts about 10 minutes.

Some people do, but it is very, very rare. I think most people (myself included) find it difficult to watch a game on delay when the outcome has already been decided and is readily available after a couple of clicks on the internet.

Some people do, but it is very, very rare. I think most people (myself included) find it difficult to watch a game on delay when the outcome has already been decided and is readily available after a couple of clicks on the internet.

Exactly. I can't do it. And I have to explain that to my girlfriend every time she wants to do something when the Ravens or some other big game is on...