JayThomas

Townsend Now Going to Australia

Nope, you're counting in the wrong direction. That 7 PM Monday evening game in Sydney would start at 5 o'clock Monday morning in Baltimore.

It is currently 12:06 pm (on Tuesday) in Sydney according to Google.

It is currently 12:06 pm (on Tuesday) in Sydney according to Google.

Right, Sydney is 14 hours ahead of Baltimore.

Did I misunderstand your earlier comment? Hank asked "if a game is played in Sydney and televised in Baltimore, what time would it be on" and you said:

a game at 7 pm on Monday would be on at 9 am on Tuesday.

which would only be true if the game were played in Baltimore and televised in Sydney. If it were played in Sydney (at 7 PM Monday) and televised in Baltimore, the broadcast would be at 5 AM Monday.

Just to confuse things, the name of the time zone in Sydney is Eastern Standard Time...

Right, Sydney is 14 hours ahead of Baltimore.

Did I misunderstand your earlier comment? Hank asked "if a game is played in Sydney and televised in Baltimore, what time would it be on" and you said:

which would only be true if the game were played in Baltimore and televised in Sydney. If it were played in Sydney (at 7 PM Monday) and televised in Baltimore, the broadcast would be at 5 AM Monday.

Just to confuse things, the name of the time zone in Sydney is Eastern Standard Time...

True true.

I always got confused by this time conversion thing. When I was in India, it would take me like 10 minutes just to figure out what time it was back in Baltimore.

This is really interesting. Can't wait to get more info. The Orioles used to be affiliated with the Perth organization back in the old ABL days, I wonder if this will continue in the new league.

I still have fond memories of talking baseball with Kevin Milwood when I was a teenager. Paul Lo Duca, John Jaha, Vernon Welles, and Gary Matthews Jr were a few other notables I had the chance to see.

I will be attending all the Sydney games so I am bound to catch up with one of our guys at some point. I will update you all as the season progresses.

• Upvote 1

Very cool, thanks.

The other thing on the time difference is that it switches to 12 hours during our winter, when they are on daylight savings time and we switch back to Eastern Standard Time. We switch on the last weekend of October, but I don't know when they switch.

Very cool, thanks.

The other thing on the time difference is that it switches to 12 hours during our winter, when they are on daylight savings time and we switch back to Eastern Standard Time. We switch on the last weekend of October, but I don't know when they switch.

Actually you adjusted the wrong way. We (Australia) adjust our clocks this weekend (Oct. 2nd), followed by the States later in the month. Thus, the time difference will go from 14 hour to 15 hour then to 16 hours at the end of October. However, Queensland doesn't like to change their clocks, so during summer (Australasian) they are an hour behind New South Wales and Victoria, thus 15 hours difference to the east coast of the States.

If a game is played in Australia along the east coast in NSW or Victoria starting at 7 pm, it will be 3 am along the East Coast. A 7 pm game in Brisbane would be 4 am along the US East Coast. To throw a further spanner (i.e. wrench) into the works, I believe Adelaide has a half hour time difference to the eastern states. Perth I believe is 2 hours behind the east coast, maybe three.

Clear as mud.

• Upvote 1

'Bite' is a play on 'bight'. The Great Australian Bight is the crescent-shaped bay along the southern shore of Australia, which is where Adelaide is. The Bight is also well known for great white sharks, thus the word play.

Ahh...got it.

Much more familiar with Queensland and the Coral Sea, although it's been a while.

Actually you adjusted the wrong way. We (Australia) adjust our clocks this weekend (Oct. 2nd), followed by the States later in the month. Thus, the time difference will go from 14 hour to 15 hour then to 16 hours at the end of October. However, Queensland doesn't like to change their clocks, so during summer (Australasian) they are an hour behind New South Wales and Victoria, thus 15 hours difference to the east coast of the States.

If a game is played in Australia along the east coast in NSW or Victoria starting at 7 pm, it will be 3 am along the East Coast. A 7 pm game in Brisbane would be 4 am along the US East Coast. To throw a further spanner (i.e. wrench) into the works, I believe Adelaide has a half hour time difference to the eastern states. Perth I believe is 2 hours behind the east coast, maybe three.

Clear as mud.

head-in-hands-md-new.jpg

head-in-hands-md-new.jpg

Every now and then I get a call at 3 AM from my mom. The normal reaction is to think there's been an emergency, but she's just forgotten the time difference.

Every now and then I get a call at 3 AM from my mom. The normal reaction is to think there's been an emergency, but she's just forgotten the time difference.

That is why I never call you. I am obviously not smart enough to remember the changes so I wait for you to call. I used to think before Skype that the picture from Hank was what you were doing when we would talk about the Orioles, now I realize that you are just usually chasing after your daughter.