OrioleMagic

So it's the 4th pick in the 2011 draft...

All I know is that George Springer is much closer to the top 10 right now-if not in the top 10.

I've seen Blake Swihart three events this summer, including four games at the Area Code Games in August -- he is easily one of the top HS hitters in the country, can catch, play INF and OF and has a plus to plus-plus arm.

Stole-

Let me know your thoughts about the UConn boys (Barnes and Springer) and Gray.

Any concern about Springer and his high SO rate? He does hit for a high BA and does walk, the SO give me an easy feeling.

Barnes, seems like he is also a guy that has broken through the top 10 with his summer performance. Is he a guy that is just outside of the Puke and Cole discussion? Any concern about both the UCONN boys playing in the NE, lack of playing time due to the cold NE?

Gray, what are your thoughts about him. Is he being knocked down because of his stature? Could he be a Pedro/Oswalt type workhorse?

Stole-

Let me know your thoughts about the UConn boys (Barnes and Springer) and Gray.

Any concern about Springer and his high SO rate? He does hit for a high BA and does walk, the SO give me an easy feeling.

Barnes, seems like he is also a guy that has broken through the top 10 with his summer performance. Is he a guy that is just outside of the Puke and Cole discussion? Any concern about both the UCONN boys playing in the NE, lack of playing time due to the cold NE?

Gray, what are your thoughts about him. Is he being knocked down because of his stature? Could he be a Pedro/Oswalt type workhorse?

Love Gray. I'll be publishing my Team USA Top 15 list tonight/tomorrow morning and Gray ranked second behind Cole. He does get knocked by some evaluators due to his sub-6-foot frame, but he has no issue maintaining his stuff late in games right now, and his fastball and slider can both be plus to fringe plus-plus offerings, depending on the day. He could be Roy Oswalt (as a smaller righty with two big offerings) or a right handed Billy Wagner. Either way, I think he's a great pick.

Barnes looked great this summer the week I was down for the USA Collegiate National Team Trials. His stuff has bumped up from the spring, as he's commanding it better and his SL/CB/CH are all a little more crisp. This spring I want to see him hold his outings together over six innings, and not lapsing into an inning or two where things unravel. The velo is up to touching mid-90s, so we'll see how deep he holds it in the spring. Highest follow -- potential early-1st Rounder.

Springer is impossible not to get excited about. Seeing him up close he looks like he was assembled in a lab. strong and thick up top, tapered to a thin, high waist, and strong legs. He can move really well in the OF, but his reads and range may land him in right field (where his arm will play). His raw power is an easy 70. The strikeouts are a product of an odd hand placement in his load, and a couple of sizeable holes in his swing. He was okay with wood, but he didn't "wow" me to the point that my fears were assuaged. He's highest follow for the spring, potential early-1st Rounder. I'm interested to see how he fairs with the new bats this spring, as the sweet spot will be smaller on the bat, and we'll get a look at his ability to square with consistency. His ceiling may be higher than any other position player in the class, aside from maybe Bubba Starling (of course, only out of the guys I've seen, which is a decent amount). UConn televises a fair number of games, but I'm hoping they play out at ND so I can take a long weekend to go out and see him and Barnes.

There isn't a real reason. I'll be starting work for a ML organization today and they are still 100% in the info gathering stage -- not even close to setting their full follow list for the spring (the players they want to track), let alone ranking people. I don't have an issue with people putting their thoughts out there for others to read. Heck, that's what I've done with my site because I want to get feedback and to have an easily accessible way to keep track of my thoughts as I progress through the various draft seasons.

But I like killing some time by talking amateur prospects/draft stuff and these lists just make it impossible. Everyone gets bogged down in absolutes and the convo becomes uninteresting and useless (how many discussions on here are about one of Rendon, Purke, Jungmann or Cole?

Again, it's just my preference, but I think it's much more fun to talk about a wider variety of players and to share info about different guys to keep an eye on in the spring, when everything starts to get a little more meaningful.

That said, I'm off to the scout showcase for the Chicagoland Conference. Six hours of driving today round trip for a conference not likely to produce much draft interest. If there are a couple of guys worth following for the spring I'll be thrilled!

You have started to work with a ML organization?

Hey Stotle, what are your thoughts on Bubba Starling? It seems like he could be a fast mover like Heyward and Trout.

His athleticism is so off-the-charts that anything is possible if he chooses to focus on baseball. With his attention currently on football, however, I would disagree that he is a safe bet to step in and start shooting through a system. On the mound, in the field and at the plate he has a fair amount of clean-up to do. But it wouldn't shock me if he made the necessary adjustments quickly -- there just isn't an easy way to determine the pace of his future development.

If pushed, I'd say he is more likely than not to succeed, and to do so quickly. He's incredibly competitive and I haven't seen many kids his age with the mix of athleticism and "now" talent, considering his divided attention. I'd consider him highest follow and a potential top 10 guy, but you may need to wait until April for him to get into full swing for baseball in order to determine just where you want to try and grab him and sign him away from Nebraska.

This draft has an obnoxious amount of talent. What a great time to have two picks in the top 10 if you're the Diamondbacks.

Well, the D'Backs have to actually sign their picks. With the #7 pick, it'll be interesting if they go with BPA or signability, to make sure they don't lose that pick all together.

Well, the D'Backs have to actually sign their picks. With the #7 pick, it'll be interesting if they go with BPA or signability, to make sure they don't lose that pick all together.

Shoot, their signability pick may be better than last year....

Shouldn't be an issue for 'Zona, as Loux was closer to a late-1st/supplemental-1st talent than a number six overall guy. Grabbing someone that would otherwise go in the mid- to late-1st in 2011 should be an equal talent, and may be a fair bit better. If they max out with two BPAs it could be great (HS arm/HS bat?).

Shouldn't be an issue for 'Zona, as Loux was closer to a late-1st/supplemental-1st talent than a number six overall guy. Grabbing someone that would otherwise go in the mid- to late-1st in 2011 should be an equal talent, and may be a fair bit better. If they max out with two BPAs it could be great (HS arm/HS bat?).

Loux was a signability pick, as you imply(he only did not sign because of injury/perceived injury). I suspect that Arizona may go with 2 signability picks here. If I was a Diamondbacks fan, I would not be jumping for joy at this point.

Would it be worth it for them to take two BPA's and forgo the rest of their draft? They don't spend much normally do they?

Would it be worth it for them to take two BPA's and forgo the rest of their draft? They don't spend much normally do they?

I don't think there is a team yet that has gone with a BPA with a compensation pick, mainly because the player has all the leverage.

I don't think there is a team yet that has gone with a BPA with a compensation pick, mainly because the player has all the leverage.

I don't buy it. I mean, there is some leverage there. But what player selected 7th overall wants to risk going back through summer ball and another spring with hopes that he will be 7 or higher again? I understand the reasoning for a signability pick, but I believe money has a lot more to do with it than does the fear of not signing the kid (especially a collegiate kid -- some HSers definitely don't fear the fallback of college ball).