Frobby

Ridiculous to start the World Series on Oct. 24

Duh, you didn't expect the MLB to make the Red Sox start another series so soon without getting their proper rest, did you? I've heard that Kevin Millar will be giving out massages and cooking all meals for the team. He'll also be providing the entertainment as well.

Anyway, I saw some snow on the side of the field in Denver last night during the Broncos/Steelers game. I think you could see the weather come into some serious effect during those games. I think the weather in Boston will be fine, as the whole East Coast has been having an unusually warm October.

Apparently it's supposed to be warmer in Denver when the series gets there early next week. There's an article on mlb.com about the weather and the Rockies don't seem all that concerned about it because many of them have all ready dealt with it at times this past season.

Duh, you didn't expect the MLB to make the Red Sox start another series so soon without getting their proper rest, did you? I've heard that Kevin Millar will be giving out massages and cooking all meals for the team. He'll also be providing the entertainment as well.

I heard he would be providing other "Services" to his beloved Red Sox in the locker room upon request...;)

Anyway, I saw some snow on the side of the field in Denver last night during the Broncos/Steelers game. I think you could see the weather come into some serious effect during those games. I think the weather in Boston will be fine, as the whole East Coast has been having an unusually warm October.

LOL

Yea, Millar should be the official Red Sox locker room boy. Handing out towels and trying to high five current players in vain. Guys like Beckett and Ellsbury will ask "who is that drunk hillbilly" several times before security takes him to John Henry's office.

As much as I have liked Millar in the past, the idea of him dancing around and pushing for the Red Sox to win while still under CONTRACT with the Orioles is the biggest insult in the world.

What a jerk.

MSK

This is just absurd. I hope the weather sucks in Denver and Boston the whole time.

154 game season. That's what it'll take to fix this. Not gonna happen though, not with MLB attendance being what it is...

154 game season. That's what it'll take to fix this. Not gonna happen though, not with MLB attendance being what it is...

That would not be necessary if MLB would stop loading the playoff schedule with off days. The ALCS matchup was set after October 8th and began on October 12th. Boston and Cleveland had 3 days off during the ALCS: two for travel and one for no reason at all. Game one of the World Series should be on Tuesday, but instead it's on Wednesday.

The World Series will begin 23 days after the end of the regular season. In those 23 days, Boston will have played only 10 games.

The World Series was already set. There is way too much time between series.

I wish they would go back to 154 games. Pull out the 18 interleague games, add in some 10 more divisional games to get back up to 154 total games for the year and BOOM, now we can start, and finish, the playoffs a bit earlier.

On a side note: How would this be for possibly the coldest World Series ever? The Minnesota Twins (in their new stadium, so after 2010) vs. The Colorado Rockies. Man, that could be a bitter cold series!

Or just keep 162 games but use about 10 scheduled doubleheaders per team, like they did back in the day. They'd sometimes start the season mid-April and be done before the end of September because every team played 10, 20 or 30 doubleheaders.

I'm sure somebody could come up with some innovative pricing and promotional schemes to make up for the revenue loss without having them all be day/night dual admission things they do today.

Or just keep 162 games but use about 10 scheduled doubleheaders per team, like they did back in the day. They'd sometimes start the season mid-April and be done before the end of September because every team played 10, 20 or 30 doubleheaders.

I thought they also had more days off too. I thought killing double-headers also killed some off days. Not sure though.

Regardless of that, good point.

This is just absurd. I hope the weather sucks in Denver and Boston the whole time.

Agreed, it is absurd. And the possibility of a World Series concluding in November is just plain wrong. Major league baseball in November? That simply shouldn't be.

I think they should get rid of the scheduled days for the start of each round. We had 4 short series in the Divisional round, but everyone had to wait around to fit the TV schedule like the had it planned. They're waiting 2 days after both league champions have been decided, do they really need that extra day?

I think they should get rid of the scheduled days for the start of each round. We had 4 short series in the Divisional round, but everyone had to wait around to fit the TV schedule like the had it planned. They're waiting 2 days after both league champions have been decided, do they really need that extra day?

They wanted to start the World Series on Wednesday instead of Tuesday to avoid a Friday night game. TV ratings in general stink on Fridays and Saturdays. The Division and LCS rounds were effected because all along MLB wanted to start the World Series in the middle of the week instead of on a Saturday for TV reasons. They had 4 extra dats to play with. Before 1985 the World Series for years use to start on a Tuesday instead of a Saturday, the change from 5 to a 7 game LCS changed all of that.

If I am not mistaken Selig would like to see a 154 game schedule but the owners don't want it.

They wanted to start the World Series on Wednesday instead of Tuesday to avoid a Friday night game. TV ratings in general stink on Fridays and Saturdays. The Division and LCS rounds were effected because all along MLB wanted to start the World Series in the middle of the week instead of on a Saturday for TV reasons. They had 4 extra dats to play with. Before 1985 the World Series for years use to start on a Tuesday instead of a Saturday, the change from 5 to a 7 game LCS changed all of that.

If I am not mistaken Selig would like to see a 154 game schedule but the owners don't want it.

More raw, and guessed at numbers...

154 games = -8 games x 30 franchises x 20,000 (guess) fans per x $40 (guess) spent per fan = - $192,000,000! :eek: This only guesses at gate receipts, nothing about TV and Radio revenues.