LookinUp

AM – you have a credibility problem

Trea II ?

Please don't include me in your "spokespersoning" for the whole board.

No problem. I'd be curious as to what minimum level of activity you'd deem sufficient this offseason.

Trea II ?

That's not very Trea-ish. There aren't any wingnut conspiracy theories here. And unlike El Trea, LookinUp actually listens to reason.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion you are not entitled to mine. I agree with some of your points and disagree with others but I strongly disagree with him losing credibility. The offseason has barely began, take a couple of deep breaths and try some decaf.

No, I’m not calling you a liar. I’m simply here to point out what has become obvious to any regular reader on this board. The Orioles fan base doesn’t believe you will do what it takes to make a serious upgrade at positions of need through means other than player development. Heyman says we’re being aggressive early in FA, but we have our doubts.

We listened, and mostly agreed, when you took the job and told us that we were much worse off than you expected; that this was going to be a long rebuild; that we needed to sell off our best assets for unproven prospects. We understood when you didn’t chase high dollar players because we weren’t ready to compete yet. Heck, most even accepted that we didn’t get Teixeira, a player 99% of Orioles fans desperately wanted in this organization. We didn’t even raise much of a stink, in down market years, when you wouldn’t up the ante on guys like Beltre or Dunn, who were obtainable for a bargain relative to what they’ll cost now. You never even made them consider us.

We bought into this long rebuild, but a rebuild can only last so long, and the excuses not to get the guys we need to complete this team are wearing thin with this fan base. Perhaps Tony said it best yesterday in this post, and with his often cited signature: Actions Speak Louder Than Words.

You have a credibility problem Mr. MacPhail. We don’t believe you will do what it takes to win in the AL East.

Consider our needs. We have a gaping hole at SS. Cesar Izturis in NOT an acceptable solution for 2011. I repeat: Cesar Izturis in NOT an acceptable solution for 2011. However, there’s a guy in Japan named Tsuyoshi Nishioka who sure seems to fit our need. We have been scouting Japan, have we not? There are others who should be available either in FA or trade, like Hardy, Bartlett or Furcal. Will you do what it takes to get one of these guys? We have our doubts.

We have a gaping hole at 3B. Josh Bell and Ty Wiggington are not acceptable solutions for 2011, and neither is a declining Miguel Tejada or Garrett Atkins type of player. However, there’s a guy named Beltre – an absolute gem with the glove who has RH pop with the bat – sitting there for the highest bidder. Will we even attempt to get him? Will you attempt to get a Mark Reynolds type of guy, or are we once again destined for a .750 OPS upside from our 3B? We have our doubts.

First base is a hole with no serious prospect threatening to take it over. Do you have a 3-5 year plan for this position? Are you willing to pay for a good interim guy? Are you willing to trade for or sign a high impact guy like Gonzalez or Fielder? Again, we have our doubts.

We could use a serious upgrade in LF. Will you kick the tires on Crawford or Werth? Will you explore a trade for Rasmus? How about Greinke, to give us the TOR starter we desperately need?

Our minor league system has graduated a lot of guys, but stands with little depth, most of which is very young. Will you ever go for a guy like Sano or Chapman? Will you take the financial risk and offer Millwood and Uehara arbitration in hopes of picking up supplemental draft picks in a great draft?

Mr. MacPhail, to win in the AL East, we must do more than fill major holes with stop gaps. We need stud players at the major league and minor league level. We’re sick and tired of the long rebuild. Now isn’t the time for more half measures. Filling just one of our needs this offseason isn’t an option. Waiting on guys who might start the year in AA or below next year also isn’t an option.

You have a serious credibility problem. It’s time for you to step up. If you don't, it'll be time to step out.

It's pretty crazy to think we're heading into year four of our "rebuild"... The possibility that it could go nowhere is very real. This team could fail to win 80 games next year unless AM makes some things happen along the lines of what you're saying. One never knows, but to basically "call" instead of "raise" this offseason would be a huge mistake, IMO.

To me, there's a sizable possibilty that Wieters could have a similar year offensively... that Matusz could backslide a little... that Reimold and Pie both fail to pan out offensively... that Tillman doesn't work out, and Arrieta moves to the bullpen... that Gonzo doesn't dominate and wrest the closer's role from, well, nobody in particular... that Jones and Markakis turn in their usual solid years, and nothing spectacular... that Bergeson fails to return to form... etc. ad infinitum.

To assume that all those players step forward in the same year, and to assume a conservative offseason stance based on that assumption, is ironically as "high risk" as AM could get. I hope he doesn't go that route again.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion you are not entitled to mine. I agree with some of your points and disagree with others but I strongly disagree with him losing credibility. The offseason has barely began, take a couple of deep breaths and try some decaf.

This was a well written OP. He did not use slang or vulgarity. He did not call into play any personal attacks on MacPhail. He simply stated what many of us feel...that Andy MacPhail did a good job of restocking the system, but is not capable of finishing the job.

No problem. I'd be curious as to what minimum level of activity you'd deem sufficient this offseason.

I should've tempered my initial response with one of those emoticons as Moose's points are valid.

To answer your question, I think significant corner infield upgrades are absolutely necessities this off-season. On the whole though, Andy MacPhail gets a thumbs up from me based on where this team is now versus where it was when he was hired. I don't feel entitled to daily progress reports or press missives. It's clear he subscribes to the 'loose lips sink battleships' school of thought, and I tend to agree.

I believe in the core of this team, and as I've opined all along, any GM sitting in MacPhail's seat will be judged as a failure if they fail to produce. Hurry up April and let the games begin.

No, I’m not calling you a liar. I’m simply here to point out what has become obvious to any regular reader on this board. The Orioles fan base doesn’t believe you will do what it takes to make a serious upgrade at positions of need through means other than player development. Heyman says we’re being aggressive early in FA, but we have our doubts.

We listened, and mostly agreed, when you took the job and told us that we were much worse off than you expected; that this was going to be a long rebuild; that we needed to sell off our best assets for unproven prospects. We understood when you didn’t chase high dollar players because we weren’t ready to compete yet. Heck, most even accepted that we didn’t get Teixeira, a player 99% of Orioles fans desperately wanted in this organization. We didn’t even raise much of a stink, in down market years, when you wouldn’t up the ante on guys like Beltre or Dunn, who were obtainable for a bargain relative to what they’ll cost now. You never even made them consider us.

We bought into this long rebuild, but a rebuild can only last so long, and the excuses not to get the guys we need to complete this team are wearing thin with this fan base. Perhaps Tony said it best yesterday in this post, and with his often cited signature: Actions Speak Louder Than Words.

You have a credibility problem Mr. MacPhail. We don’t believe you will do what it takes to win in the AL East.

Consider our needs. We have a gaping hole at SS. Cesar Izturis in NOT an acceptable solution for 2011. I repeat: Cesar Izturis in NOT an acceptable solution for 2011. However, there’s a guy in Japan named Tsuyoshi Nishioka who sure seems to fit our need. We have been scouting Japan, have we not? There are others who should be available either in FA or trade, like Hardy, Bartlett or Furcal. Will you do what it takes to get one of these guys? We have our doubts.

We have a gaping hole at 3B. Josh Bell and Ty Wiggington are not acceptable solutions for 2011, and neither is a declining Miguel Tejada or Garrett Atkins type of player. However, there’s a guy named Beltre – an absolute gem with the glove who has RH pop with the bat – sitting there for the highest bidder. Will we even attempt to get him? Will you attempt to get a Mark Reynolds type of guy, or are we once again destined for a .750 OPS upside from our 3B? We have our doubts.

First base is a hole with no serious prospect threatening to take it over. Do you have a 3-5 year plan for this position? Are you willing to pay for a good interim guy? Are you willing to trade for or sign a high impact guy like Gonzalez or Fielder? Again, we have our doubts.

We could use a serious upgrade in LF. Will you kick the tires on Crawford or Werth? Will you explore a trade for Rasmus? How about Greinke, to give us the TOR starter we desperately need?

Our minor league system has graduated a lot of guys, but stands with little depth, most of which is very young. Will you ever go for a guy like Sano or Chapman? Will you take the financial risk and offer Millwood and Uehara arbitration in hopes of picking up supplemental draft picks in a great draft?

Mr. MacPhail, to win in the AL East, we must do more than fill major holes with stop gaps. We need stud players at the major league and minor league level. We’re sick and tired of the long rebuild. Now isn’t the time for more half measures. Filling just one of our needs this offseason isn’t an option. Waiting on guys who might start the year in AA or below next year also isn’t an option.

You have a serious credibility problem. It’s time for you to step up. If you don't, it'll be time to step out.

Great post. Without a doubt this offseason should tell us everything we need to know about MacPhail as the GM. If the Orioles are not serious trade partners this offseason and we don't make a few key signings (Uribe, Lee/Konerko/Pena type guys) then we are just spinning wheels again.

Trea II ?

People really hate to hear the truth. I don't know why but they hate it.

His post was spot on.

Let me ask you something...Other than just hoping for the best, why should we believe AM is the GM to take us to the top of the AL East?

Trea II ?

I don't recall him saying he's a spokesman for the entire board. Instead of sending in your little one liners that are worthless, try adding some analysis to counteract his thoughts if you feel he's so wrong. This the Hangout, step it up.

Say what you want about Sports Guys and his little quips, but he almost always adds his analysis along with this posts.

Plus rep from me. Skepticism is definitely warranted after the past three seasons. I actually think that the O's will attempt to make serious moves this winter, but whether AM hasthe chops and the budget to pull it off is an open question.

Actually my big area of discontent is mentioned only in passing here: I am disappointed that more hasn't been done to make the Orioles competitive in finding, signing, and developing amateur players.

Plus rep from me. Skepticism is definitely warranted after the past three seasons. I actually think that the O's will attempt to make serious moves this winter, but whether AM hasthe chops and the budget to pull it off is an open question.

Actually my big area of discontent is mentioned only in passing here: I am disappointed that more hasn't been done to make the Orioles competitive in finding, signing, and developing amateur players.

If you mean international amateur players then I agree. As my piece pointed out this past summer, the Orioles talk the talk, but they have done little to make themselves real players in the international amateur market. Have they made some stride, sure, but not nearly enough.

It's not about credibility, it's about actions. MacPhail has largely done what he said he would do. But now, he needs to begin making his move.

Two points:

1) nobody ever speaks for everyone else. I understand that you and others are entitled to different opinions, and I respect those. On the other hand, I do think I'm channeling the opinions of A LOT of people in this thread.

2) I did have a cup of coffee this morning, but this OP has nothing to do with judging this offseason now. It has everything to do with what I want AM to do this offseason: aggressively make upgrades. To some extent, the names matter a little less than the actual moves.