ChaosLex

Roch: Buzz getting louder for Mark Reynolds?

EDIT -- Sorry, I misread an email from a friend. Disregard the Peavy/Reynolds talks.

Certainly possible, but it would be pretty risky for Arizona considering that Peavy is coming off of shoulder surgery, might miss the first 2 or 3 months of the season, and is owed 16M this year and 17M next year. Tough to imagine a team like Arizona taking on this financial risk, considering that is part of the reason they are shopping Reynolds.

At this point why would he end up elsewhere? If Toronto, SD and Balt are the teams after him, I like our chances...Why would SD really want him? He has a NTC to Toronto and would probably welcome coming to BMore, since he is from VA.

I think our chances are very good he ends up here. He represents exactly what AM likes...a bargain.

SG, I am glad you feel this way, and I hope you are right. Like you, I am not too upset about losing out on the FA's that are off the board because I didn't want them in the first place. But Reynolds is a different story. Your basic premise and mine are similar, but I don't want any of the 30+ FA's. I would rather the team went in for guys like Reynolds, EE, Loney, etc.

Certainly possible, but it would be pretty risky for Arizona considering that Peavy is coming off of shoulder surgery, might miss the first 2 or 3 months of the season, and is owed 16M this year and 17M next year. Tough to imagine a team like Arizona taking on this financial risk, considering that is part of the reason they are shopping Reynolds.

It was in the context of a larger deal and CHA sending some money, too, but was used as an example (which I read as a real-world example and not a hypothetical).

Sorry for the confusion.

I think our chances are very good he ends up here.

What kind of numbers do you think Reynolds would put up with the O's in 2011?

I'm sorry if it's already been established but how many years is Reynolds under contract for?

I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon and it seems obvious that this is the guy we have the best shot at as far as really improving this team.

Get it done.

What kind of numbers do you think Reynolds would put up with the O's in 2011?

I'm sorry if it's already been established but how many years is Reynolds under contract for?

I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon and it seems obvious that this is the guy we have the best shot at as far as really improving this team.

Get it done.

He has two more years on a contract that will pay him $18.5MM (7.5/11), with a team option for 2013.

No guarantees but his upside is worth the risk.

He has two more years on a contract that will pay him $18.5MM (7.5/11), with a team option for 2013.

No guarantees but his upside is worth the risk.

Actually, it's $5 million in 2011, $7.5 million in 2012, with an $11 million option. Only $13 million guaranteed ($500k buyout).

• Upvote 1

Actually, it's $5 million in 2011, $7.5 million in 2012, with an $11 million option. Only $13 million guaranteed ($500k buyout).

In other news ..The lowly White Sox add another player.

Sources: Pierzynski back with #White Sox. Hearing deal is two years, $8 million, though that is unconfirmed. #MLB #BlueJays

At this point why would he end up elsewhere? If Toronto, SD and Balt are the teams after him, I like our chances...Why would SD really want him? He has a NTC to Toronto and would probably welcome coming to BMore, since he is from VA.

I think our chances are very good he ends up here. He represents exactly what AM likes...a bargain.

Adrian Gonzalez is as good as gone in San Diego so Mark would be a great cheap option to replace that lost power. They also have a third baseman that they could send back in the trade (Headley), so that would probably give them a bit of an advantage...

He has a NTC to Toronto and would probably welcome coming to BMore, since he is from VA.
I don't put much, if any, stock in the geographic angle (see: Teixeira, Mark; Burnett, A.J.)

I'll be happy if we pick up Reynolds, he has been a force in the past and could be in the future. But lets remember the good and the bad:

His batting average was .189

He is setting a new record for strike-outs in a single season every year

He is average defensively

(The Bad)

He hit 32 HRs

Mike Schmidt is his comp through age 26 (this is awesome)

He gets alot of walks

(The Good)

If everybody is ok with this, why not consider Carlos Lee for DH? He had a minimum .800 OPS from 2000-2009, and he's probably in line for a bounce-back season. I bet he could be had for nothing, and the Astros would probably pay a portion of his remaining salary. Only 2 years left too.

What's the arguement (other than age, which is a semi-valid one) is there against him that cannot be used against Reynolds?

EDIT -- Sorry, I misread an email from a friend. Disregard the Peavy/Reynolds talks.

Yeah, I was wondering about that when someone mentioned it in another thread. There's no way Peavy could pass a physical, so there's no way he gets dealt this offseason (although I know Kenny Williams would love to get that salary off the books).

Adrian Gonzalez is as good as gone in San Diego so Mark would be a great cheap option to replace that lost power. They also have a third baseman that they could send back in the trade (Headley), so that would probably give them a bit of an advantage...

And the O's have Brian Matusz who they could throw into the trade to give them an advantage. In other words, Headley isn't being traded for Reynolds because it would be grossly overpaying.