2016 33rd Round Pick - Markel Jones - OF - Brunswick Community College

5'10" 175lbs DOB: 08/08/94

Jones earned the grades he needed to stay eligible and doubled down on his studies this spring. He knew he needed to boost his grade point average to impress recruiters.

Allen and Cowan noticed he steered more conversations toward schoolwork in recent months. It took that concerted effort to make up for some low marks early at BCC and raise his final GPA to 2.69.

?I went to my professors at the beginning of this semester and basically told them: ?I?m going to be all-in. I just need your help,?? Jones said.

That maturity has translated to the field. Allen agreed that the Dolphins could be at their best with Jones in center and leading off, but the coach never made any promises. The redshirt sophomore has learned how to work counts and move runners instead of swinging for the fences every time. He?s more comfortable directing the defense now, too.

?He kind of took that as a challenge and really went with it,? Allen said. ?That?s what we were hoping.?

Jones has emerged as a star on a squad with nine other Division I recruits. He?s reached base better than 50 percent of the time this spring and displayed a remarkably well-rounded skill set at 5-foot-10, 185 pounds. In March, he posted the first three-homer game in program history.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20160526/SPORTS/160529756

Archived