2017 2nd round pick (60): Adam Hall - SS - A.B. Lucas Secondary School, London, Ont. (CA.) HS

Video

Adam Hall, SS, A.B. Lucas Secondary (London, Ontario, CAN)
Ht/Wt: 6’0” / 170        B/T: R/R         Age (as of 2017 MLB Draft): 18 yrs, 1m
Commit: Texas A&M University

Hall is a slender yet athletic and strong middle infielder that has the tools to stay at shortstop at the next level. In the field he has plus range with the ability to show off a plus arm to match. He makes plays look easy when ranging to both sides, and he’s able to show soft hands while being smooth and fluid when fielding the ball. When throwing across the diamond there are times where the ball will tail a bit, but his throws were regularly on target and there with plenty of time to get even some of the fastest runners.

Offensively, Hall has a quiet setup where he loads by transferring his weight back into his hip, while keeping his hands still and up around his shoulder. He showed an ability to tuck the front elbow tight to the body as he kept the bat level through the zone. He utilizes his quick hands well while reacting to different pitches and driving balls back through the middle and into the gaps. Hall also showed an ability to turn on pitches that got in, hitting a home run that got out of Blair Field quickly. Here is some video of Hall from the recent PG All-American Classic:

I see him more as an on-base and doubles-type hitter, but the pop he showed could continue to be there when pitchers make mistakes. On the bases, Hall utilizes his quick reactions well and is aggressive taking bases and going 1st-to-3rd. He’s got plenty of speed and showed the ability to turn on a second gear when he scored from 1st on a double into the gap.

Some teams may overlook him due to his size, but this would be a mistake. Hall showed the skills to stick up the middle and the demeanor to captain the infield. During games he would talk with pitchers who were struggling and get them to refocus on getting hitters out. The size may push him down a bit, but Hall looks like a top-ranked high school middle infielder. – Ryan Ozella

https://2080baseball.com/2016/08/2017-mlb-draft-preview-notes-from-the-2016-area-code-games/

Tony's Quick Take: With a system in bad need of legitimate shortstop prospects, Hall seems like the kind of talent you take a chance on. I like the speed and defense combo and with an 88MPH infield velocity he should have plenty of arm to stay at SS. The question it sounds like is whether his bat will play. If it does, this pick could be a steal. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • weams changed the title to 2017 2nd round pick (60): Adam Hall - SS - A.B. Lucas Secondary School, London, Ont. (CA.) HS

Check this out, perfect game has Hall at 6.29 60

"Larry Greenstein, head coach, Park Vista High (Florida): "I had a weight-training class and I had most of the baseball players in there, so I tried to time them in the 60-yard dash during class. Trea's in my lane. My brother Stu, who played some pro ball and is my assistant coach, has the other kid. I get a 6.3 for Trea, and I say, "Stu, he just ran a 6.3. I must have screwed up." I've been in high school baseball for 31 years, and I don't think I've ever seen anybody run a 6.3. So he runs it again in my brother’s lane. Stu goes, "I got the same thing." I go, "You gotta be kidding me." After school, some of the kids that couldn't run during class, they had to run, and there was one at the end who was by himself. It was Trea's good friend Tyler Kendall. So Trea offered to run with Tyler. I didn't want him to because I was afraid he'd get hurt -- he always had the tightest hamstrings, he's already run twice, and he wasn't even loose. But he insisted. Sure enough, he ran a 6.3 again. I was like, holy cow. He just went from pretty good D1 speed to this guy could be a prospect. You can't teach a kid how to throw 90, and you can't teach a kid how to run a 6.3."

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-nationals/post/_/id/1635/not-just-a-folktale-nationals-trea-turner-really-is-that-fast

Toronto, ON – Adam Hall believes his family made the right decision.

adamhall

Just a few short years ago, the 15-year-old shortstop was living in Bermuda with his mom Helen and his dad Tyler, playing local sports like cricket and soccer, with not much baseball in sight. As a 12-year-old he returned to his parent’s home and native land for a summer and got his start on the diamond with the London Badgers.

With incredible power, speed and an aptitude for the game, Hall has since transformed into one of the country’s top 2017 prospects. He’s also moved to London, ON full-time, his father joining him earlier this year and his mom’s move scheduled for the end of this year.

“She’s going to go back for a little bit in September and then move up here around Christmastime,” Hall said. “It’s been good but it does add pressure. It definitely does, but I feel like I perform better when I have that pressure, rather than just going out there. I do a better job when I have something to play for.”

Playing at the second-annual Toronto Blue Jays-hosted Tournament 12 at Rogers Centre this year, after making a big name for himself at the inaugural event, the 5-foot-10, 160-pound infielder was looking to make even more of an impression during his team’s five games over the course of the week.

“There wasn’t really any pressure [last year] because I’m younger than them,” he said. “The real pressure is on them because they’re older and they have to be able to play above me…

“This year I’d like to show more because it’s another year and I feel more comfortable playing in [the tournament]. Instead of trying to show who I am and establish myself, I want to show that I’m getting better and I’m ready to do more.”

After getting off to a less-than-ideal start in Futures Navy’s first game of the tournament, Hall got to work, spending extra time in the batting cages with one of his Great Lake Canadians coaches in Adam Stern, and taking advantage of the presence of Dunedin Blue Jays hitting coach Stubby Clapp.

“I felt better,” Hall said after his team’s later games.

The young player’s biggest strength and weakness on the diamond both ultimately boil down to his competitive edge, giving him an advantage in some instances and becoming his nemesis in others.

“My competitiveness and that I’m not going to give up,” Hall said of his biggest asset. “If I go down swinging the first few times, I’m going to do my best to come back and get a hit the next time…but I still need to work on how I react right after that.

“I’m getting better at it but I still need to focus on not getting too [upset] about my at-bats and going back out there and playing good defence. I’ve gotten better at it but there’s still some room for improvement.”

On the first day of the event, Tournament 12’s scheduled workout day, Hall had the second-fastest 60-yard dash time, running a 6.57 and coming in right behind fellow 15-year-old Cooper Davis with a time of 6.45. The two are often paired together because of their age and speed.

“It’s good to be against him,” Hall said. “It’s good competition.”

One American League scout said: “Both looked great. It’s hard for kids who already have such high expectations to continue to impress, but Cooper was the best runner of the day and his swing looks great. Adam ran almost as well and shows such a feel for hitting. They both have the edge we all love and I get excited watching them play.”

Getting out on the big-league field for a second time was also exciting for Hall, along with being able to showcase his skills with all of Canada’s top draft-eligible players.

“The biggest thing was just stepping onto a field in the major leagues and looking around and seeing what it’s like from the field,” he said. “Then actually being able to compete with all the guys who are older, that was great.”

Hall has had great instruction over short time in baseball but gained even more valuable knowledge from Blue Jays alumni and guest coaches at the tournament.

“Stubby is great,” Hall said. “And I liked talking to Sandy Alomar Sr. He’s a good guy to talk to and he’s got really good things to say. Basically he told me to just keep playing hard and that I have a good future to look forward to, and to keep beating the older guys.”

The immediate future for Hall will see him continue with the Great Lake Canadians and hopefully on his way to earning a spot with Team Canada. Then as he gets a little older, he can start to think further down the road.

“I want to be on the Junior National Team,” Hall said. “That would be everything right now. Basically that would be as far as I can go right now so that’s what I want to do…I’ve had a couple schools [interested] but they can’t really say too much right now, and I’m not thinking about the draft much because it’s too far off. My goal is to make the junior team and then start worrying about the draft.”

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/ON/IF-Adam-Hall-Emerges-as-one-of-Canadas-best-5237960841

MLB Pipeline Scouting Report

116.    Hall, Adam    A.B. Lucas SS    SS    R/R    HS        5’11” 165lbs DOB: 05/22/99    
Canada has produced a fair share of Draft talent over the years, with Josh Naylor and Mike Soroka the most recent examples to get taken in the first round, both in 2015. But there hasn’t been much in the way of middle infielders to come from North of the Border and while Hall may not go as high as that pair in 2015, he does have a shot to be a rare Canadian shortstop at the next level. The Texas A&M commit might be a bit unpolished, but he has considerable tools and upside. He has a decent approach at the plate for his age and experience level, with a natural feel to hit. There should be some power in the future as well. Hall is a plus runner and uses that speed well on the basepaths. He is capable of making the spectacular play defensively and while his arm might grade out as average, he can reach back for more when needed and he’s usually very accurate. He will struggle at times with the backhand play, but most feel he can stick at short. If not, he’d make an outstanding second baseman and has enough arm for third. Hall needs to add strength to his athletic frame, but that should come as he matures. He turned 18 not long before the Draft, giving him plenty of time to fulfill his fairly high ceiling.

Perfect Game Scouting Report

131. Adam Hall, ss, AB Lucas Secondary School
R-R, 6-0/170, London, Ontario, Canada.
College Commitment: Texas A&M

Hall was one of the standouts on the summer showcase circuit last year, showing outstanding 6.29 speed in the sixty and lots of athleticism that was sure keep him in the middle of the infield for many years to come.  He hit surprisingly well given his slender young build, with very quick hands and plenty of power to all fields.  He had multiple extra base hits, including a no doubt home run, at the heavily scouted Area Code Games and was a Perfect Game All-American in addition to the top Canadian in the PG class rankings.

Hall’s name has been conspicuously absent from discussions with scouts and cross checkers as the draft nears, however. Scouts have reported that his bat speed on the Canadian National 18U team’s annual spring trip to Florida, where most top Canadian prospects are cross checked, was down from last summer with a less aggressive approach at the plate.

Still, too many scouting directors and cross checkers saw him too often last summer at the top of his game to forget about Hall’s tools. He could be a surprise come draft time.

2017 season: Leading up to draft: Making the private invite tour, worked out for the Kansas City Royals at Kaufmann Stadium and the San Diego Padres ... Dominican summer trip: Hit .318 (14-for-44) with three, doubles, a triple, four RBIs, .844 OPS in 13 games ... Single and a stolen base against MLB Prospects ... A 3-for-3 day, including a double facing the Jays ... Singled facing the Yankees ... Single facing Astros ... Double against Brewers ... Singled against the Cubs ... Run-scoring single against Mets ... PBR Showcase: Ran 6.7 60 in Scarborough, third fastest, 93 MPH exit velocity ... Extended spring trip _ Hit .286 (8-for-28) with five RBIs, 5-for-5 stealing bases ... Singled against the Bravos ... Stolen base facing the Blue Jays ... Two steals facing Braves pitchers ... Run-scoring line single against the Jays ... Had two hits facing the Tigers ... Two-run single against the Braves ... March trip _ Hit .214 (6-for-28) with two RBIs, 6-for-7 stealing bases ... Had a poor offensive week, but didn’t let it disrupt his play on the field ... Singled and stole a base against the Red Sox ... Threw out a runner at the plate in a one-run win over the Red Sox ... Run-scoring single facing the Jays ... Knocked in a run facing the Phillies ... Singled and stole a base facing the Braves ... Singled, stole second, third and scored against the Tigers ... Singled against the Rays.

What they are saying: "We have him as a 3rd-to-5th rounder. Impressive raw tools, could be second base in future. Has wiry strength plus raw power." _ AL scout.

"Hasn't had the best spring, but he will be OK." _ Veteran scout.

“Pure shortstop defensive tools, plus running speed and a loud bat, his stock is definitely on the rise.” _ Perfect Game.

“Always on base, played very solid defensively, fun to watch, and I look forward to following his career for years to come.”_ T12 commissioner and Hall of Famer Robbie Alomar. 

“Compared to last year here he portrays that he has grown ... his attitude is better, he has calmed down.” _ Hall of Fame father Sandy Alomar at T12

“He knows what to do and how the game is played, stands head and shoulders above the others.” _ Duane Ward, at T12.

“He has deceptive speed, he’s a 30-steal guy. Until the last day or so I didn’t know if he was the best position player, now I think he is. He’s aggressive, ready and into the game. Scouts tell me he sometimes takes a bad at-bat into the field with him, but he’s young, lots of guys did that.” _ Devon White at T12.

“A complete player right: arm, bat and speed.” _ Mario Diaz instructor at T12.

“Did a nice job incorporating his lower half and explosive hands into his swing, consistently driving balls off the Green Monster in left field (at Jet Blue in Fort Myers).” _ Jheremy Brown, Perfect Game.

MLB Pipeline report: Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 65 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45
Canada has produced a fair share of Draft talent over the years, with Josh Naylor and Mike Soroka the most recent examples to get taken in the first round, both in 2015. But there hasn’t been much in the way of middle infielders to come from North of the Border and while Hall may not go as high as that pair in 2015, he does have a shot to be a rare Canadian shortstop at the next level.

The Texas A&M commit might be a bit unpolished, but he has considerable tools and upside. He has a decent approach at the plate for his age and experience level, with a natural feel to hit. There should be some power in the future as well. Hall is a plus runner and uses that speed well on the base paths. He is capable of making the spectacular play defensively and while his arm might grade out as average, he can reach back for more when needed and he’s usually very accurate. He will struggle at times with the backhand play, but most feel he can stick at short. If not, he’d make an outstanding second baseman and has enough arm for third.

Hall needs to add strength to his athletic frame, but that should come as he matures. He turns 18 not long before the Draft, giving him plenty of time to fulfill his fairly high ceiling.

Scouting Reports: Scouts liked the fact that he walked his first time up in showcase game in Dorchester and was not pleased -- he wanted to hit. Walked next time, asked to stay in box -- and homered on next pitch ... Once ran a 6.53 60, complained he had a bad start, went again and had a 6.5 ... Ran 7th fastest 60 during PG showcases at 6.29 (National Showcase). Fastest: Quentin Holmes at 6.15 (National Showcase) ... Ran 6.58 60 at T12 on scout Day at T12 on Rogers Centre carpet ,,, Showed all five tools at Perfect Game National: ran a 6.29 60 (fifth), exit veloctiy (93 mph), infield velocity (88 mph), 10 yard split of 1.45 (10th best) 

2016 season _ Fall Florida trip: Singled, stole second and third facing Tigers ... Run-scoring single against Braves ... Singled against Braves ... Run-scoring single against the Jays ... Jupiter:Did not attend (minor injury) ...  Tournament 12 MVP (.444, six RBIs, eight stolen bases) All-Star, ran 6.58 (4th) ... PG All-American Classic: Robbed in first inning at Petro Park when San Diego native SS Nick Allen, Perfect Game defensive player of the year, dove into hole and nipped Hall at first ... Area Code Games: Mammoth three-run home run to left-centre field, accompanied by a respectful enthusiastic bat flip. Some observers claimed was longest home run in event ... East Coast Pro Showcase:Impressed in Tampa ...  Cuba trip: Hit .333 with a double, a triple, home run, six RBIs and four stolen bases in eight games ... Tripled over the centre fielder’s head ... Combined 6-for-8 in doubleheader, three singles, RBI and stolen base in Game 1, three hits, including double, triples, plus an RBI in Game 2 ... Singled in loss ... Homered to left on 3-0 pitch, singled, knocked in four runs, plus two stolen bases ... Dominican summer tour: Singled against Brewers ... Celebrating 17th birthday he had two extra-base hits against the Astros: a double and an RBI triple ... Three-run homer that cleared the fence in left and doubled against the Rays ... National Showcase in Fort Myers, Fla.: Double down the right field line for a standup double and impressed during BP ... Extended spring trip .400 average (10-for-25) in eight games: Two hits facing Braves ... Singled against Braves ... Singled vs. Jays ... Bunt single facing Astros ... Run-scoring triple and a double against the Astros ... 2-for-4 with a triple vs. Tigers ... Tripled facing Nationals ... March trip to St. Pete’s: 2-for-3 with a triple and bunt single vs. Phillies ... Singled against the Braves ... 

Honors _ 2017 season: Rawlings-Perfect Game Preseason All-American and All-Region Teams Canada/Puerto Rico Region ... Canadian Futures Award presented by BBWAA ... 2016 season: Tournament 12 MVP hitting .444 with six RBIs, seven runs scored and eight stolen bases, T12 All-Star ... National Showcase: 1.45 10 Yard Split (11th) ... Only Canuck invited to East Coast Pro Showcase in Tampa, 14th annual Perfect Game All-American Classic at Petco Park in San Diego and Baseball Factory Under Armour All-America Game at Wrigley Field ...  Pre-season Underclass All American Second Team ... 2015 season _ All Tournament Team WWBA World Championship ... Top 10 Exit Velocity (fifth) Pitcher Catcher Indoor Showcase ... Top 10 Zepp Time to Impact (First) National Underclass West Showcase ... Sub 7 60 ... Preseason Underclass All American High Honorable Mention ... 

?format=750w

2015 season _ Worlds in Osaka, Japan: Hit .214 (6-for-28) with a double, triple, four RBIs, 9-for-11 stealing bases ... Went 4-for-5 with a double, triple and four RBIs in win over Australia ... Australia-Canada Friendly Series: Batted .292 (7-for-24) with two doubles, a triple and three RBIs in eight games ... Disney trip: Two hits vs. Braves ... Tournament 12 ... Ran 6.59 (3rd)  ... Dominican trip: Doubled and scored twice in a win over the Cubs ...   

?format=750w

20-80 Baseball Scouting Report: By Ryan Ozella “Hall is a slender yet athletic and strong middle infielder that has the tools to stay at shortstop at the next level. In the field he has plus range with the ability to show off a plus arm to match. He makes plays look easy when ranging to both sides, and he’s able to show soft hands while being smooth and fluid when fielding the ball. When throwing across the diamond there are times where the ball will tail a bit, but his throws were regularly on target and there with plenty of time to get even some of the fastest runners.

Offensively, Hall has a quiet setup where he loads by transferring his weight back into his hip, while keeping his hands still and up around his shoulder. He showed an ability to tuck the front elbow tight to the body as he kept the bat level through the zone. He utilizes his quick hands well while reacting to different pitches and driving balls back through the middle and into the gaps. Hall also showed an ability to turn on pitches that got in, hitting a home run that got out of Blair Field quickly.

“I see him more as an on-base and doubles-type hitter, but the pop he showed could continue to be there when pitchers make mistakes. On the bases, Hall utilizes his quick reactions well and is aggressive taking bases and going 1st-to-3rd. He’s got plenty of speed and showed the ability to turn on a second gear when he scored from 1st on a double into the gap.

“Some teams may overlook him due to his size, but this would be a mistake. Hall showed the skills to stick up the middle and the demeanor to captain the infield. During games he would talk with pitchers who were struggling and get them to refocus on getting hitters out. The size may push him down a bit, but Hall looks like a top-ranked high school middle infielder.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.canadianbaseballnetwork.com/2017-draft-list-players//adam-hall%3Fformat%3Damp

3 hours ago, billw76 said:

I like this pick too. Could he be an under slot signing since Hall will probably go over?

Looking at his rankings coming into the draft you might be on to something.

Ranking services said: Baseball America – 112th overall; 2080Ball – 87th overall; MLB.com – 127th overall.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-what-they-re-saying-about-the-orioles-top-draft-picks-dl-hall-adam-hall-and-zac-lowther-20170612-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'd have prefered Quentin Holmes, Cole Brannen, or Nick Allen (assuming he's signable) in this spot. That being said, I like the pick, and for all I know those other guys could be demanding overslot which probably wouldn't work for us after picking DL Hall (who was BPA at 21 and is a pick I love).

55 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'd have prefered Quentin Holmes, Cole Brannen, or Nick Allen (assuming he's signable) in this spot. That being said, I like the pick, and for all I know those other guys could be demanding overslot which probably wouldn't work for us after picking DL Hall (who was BPA at 21 and is a pick I love).

Good point about signability; it's easy for us to judge these picks on talent alone but signability is just as important.  Who knows what kind of numbers these kids' reps are putting out.  That being said, hopefully we can go underslot with him to make up for potentially having to go overslot with DL.

Archived