2017 8th round pick (248): Jimmy Murphy - RHP - Fordham

Orioles go back to the college ranks again for a senior right-hander.

Image result for JIMMY MURPHY FORDHAM

Jimmy Murphy - RHP - 6'0", 190 - DOB: 10/14/94

2017 Senior Statistics:

GS	W	L	ERA	IP	H	HR	BB	K	AVG	K/9	BB/9

13	6	7	2.59	93.2	76	3	27	85	0.225	8.17	2.59

Tony's Quick take: Short righthanded senior sign should be a 10K underslot signee. Misses some bats with his curveball and the Orioles hope he can be similar to Tyler Wilson.

203622017: First Team All-Atlantic 10 selection... Served as team co-captain... Named Atlantic 10 Pitcher of the Week twice... Finished his career seventh in career appearances (71) at Fordham, 11th in games started (32), 11th in innings pitched (245.0), and 11th in strikeouts (191)... Made 13 starts as a senior, posting a 6-7 record with a 2.59 ERA... Tied for the team lead in win, while throwing a team-high 93.2 innings... Was second in strikeouts with 85, posting at least six in nine of his 13 starts... Held opponents to a .225 batting average...  Was better in conference action, making eight starts with a 2.00 ERA and four wins... Threw a career-best 9.1 innings against Canisius, allowing just one earned run on four hits with a then-career-high 11 strikeouts (3/5)... Tossed eight shutout innings with a career-high 14 strikeouts and no walks versus Sacred Heart (3/17)... Did not allow an earned run and had seven strikeouts in a complete loss at George Mason (3/24)... Gave up two runs over eight innings in a win over La Salle (4/2)... Earned a win over Saint Louis, allowing one run on eight hits with five strikeouts (4/9)... Held Saint Joseph's to one run over eight innings with seven strikeouts to record his fourth win of the year (4/15)... Was a hard luck loser, throwing a nine-inning complete game against Massachusetts, allowing two earned runs with seven strikeouts... Ended the year by outdueling Atlantic 10 Pitcher of Year Aaron Phillips with a complete game win at St. Bonaventure, allowing one run on five hits with six strikeouts (5/20).

2016: Served as a team captain... Once again split time between being a starter and a relief pitcher... Settled into the closer role by mid-March... Made 23 appearances, six of which were starts... Started his first five appearances... Struck out seven batters over 4.1 innings against Michigan St. (2/21)... Earned his first win of the season against Stony Brook, allowing one run over 5.1 innings of work... Recorded first save of the year in a 1-0 win over Richmond, pitching a scoreless ninth inning (4/1)... Got the win versus Iona, pitching four scoreless innings with five strikeouts (4/12)...  Tossed two scoreless innings for a save versus Rhode Island (4/17)... Had another two-inning save at Columbia (4/17)... Threw a combined 4.1 innings of three-hit relief in the Davidson series, earning one save over two games (4/23-24)... Registered his fifth save of the season against George Washington, throwing two scoreless innings (5/7)... Threw five hitless innings of relief with seven strikeouts in a loss to Dayton (5/20)... Got the win in the Rams' Atlantic 10 Championship contest against Saint Louis, allowing two earned runs on four hits (5/25).

201342015: Changed from starting pitcher to reliever during the early portion of the season... Started his first five appearances, before making the next 19 out of the bullpen... Posted a record of 3-4 with a 4.76 ERA and three saves... Threw 56.2 innings, while striking out 36... Was solid in conference play with a win and three saves in 13 appearances to go with a 4.18 ERA... Opened the season with a start at Georgia Tech, allowing three runs over 5.1 innings (2/14)... Struck out four batters over four innings against nationally-ranked Illinois (2/21)... Struck out a season-high five batters at USC over 4.2 innings of work... Earned the first two wins of his career by winning both ends of a doubleheader against NYIT (3/22)... Tossed 3.2 innings of two-hit relief with three strikeouts versus George Mason, which started a streak of ten appearances without allowing a run (4/2)... Recorded his first save against Davidson, getting a ground ball double play to end the game (4/11)... Gave up just two hits over 2.2 innings of relief to record his second save at George Washington (4/17)... Had two strikeouts over 1.2 innings of relief to earn his third save versus Saint Louis (4/24)... Totaled 2.2 scoreless innings of relief in the series against St. Bonaventure (5/1-3)... Recorded four strikeouts over four innings in the regular season finale at Dayton (5/16)... Tossed 2.1 innings of one-hit relief against George Washington at the Atlantic 10 Championship (5/20).

http://www.fordhamsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7017

The interest in right-hander Jimmy Murphy of Columbia seemed to go up as precipitously as his fastball this spring. 

Murphy grew physically, into a 5-11, 180-pound frame, and cranked his fastball up to 90 miles per hour to complement a brutally efficient hard curveball and a change-up. Suddenly, the senior had offers from schools all over the metropolitan area. 

Murphy received late offers from Seton Hall University, Rutgers and Fordham among several other area colleges and came to his decision during a visit yesterday that Fordham would be his home come September. 

"The money was about the same for all of them," said Murphy. "I had a great visit at Fordham a couple weeks ago, went again on Sunday and made my decision." 

As attractive as his baseball opportunity is at Fordham, Murphy kept coming back to the academics at the prestigious university in The Bronx.

"Fordham seemed like the best fit for me academically," said Murphy. "It gives me my best academic option and it offers me networking opportunities afterward that will help me the rest of my life." 

Fastballs and curveballs aside, Murphy seems to have a quite a focus on his future. 

"The school has a strong business program," said Murphy, who, while undecided on his immediate course of study, is particularly strong in math. 

Marist, Wagner, Manhattan and Fairfield also offered Murphy, who admitted to some anxiousness over having not committed to a school until this late into his senior year of high school. 

"I was anxious," he said. "It would have been nice if it happened a little earlier. It's a bit overwhelming. Coach (Larry) Busichio got my name out there and that was a big help." 

Actually, Murphy did a nice job getting his own name "out there" too. He had success in his years as an underclassman but opened eyes as early as March when Columbia began its pre-season schedule. 

He has since been dominant during a 3-1 season that doesn't quite tell the whole story. 

Murphy has 73 strikeouts and a paltry seven walks in 50 innings pitched. He has allowed 10 runs but just five of those runs are earned, leaving him with an ERA of 0.70. 

He shined in front of a big crowd on Saturday when Columbia lost, 3-2, to Caldwell in nine innings. Murphy went the first eight innings, allowed two runs, but none earned, struck out five and walked two. 

It was an overall remarkable performance in which he made three outstanding plays on the mound, one on a bunt, one on a high-chopper over the mound and the other on a hard one-hopper he turned into an out at third base. 

Murphy also drove in a run and scored the tying run in a two-run eighth inning for Columbia. 

Now Fordham gets to see Murphy do that on a weekly basis.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hope he doesn't get all of it.

I really don't see anyone else who would warrant overslot so far.  And hopefully, no more senior picks.  Three in a row is kind of disappointing when it looked like there was still some decent talent available.

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

I really don't see anyone else who would warrant overslot so far.  And hopefully, no more senior picks.  Three in a row is kind of disappointing when it looked like there was still some decent talent available.

Still plenty of rounds after the first ten.

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'm just sad they didn't take my sleeper favorite Rylan Bannon, the dodgers grabbed him two picks later.  

Don't feel bad, they didn't take any of my favorites either...:)

Archived