2017 26th round pick (788): Cameron Bishop - LHP - University of California - Irvine

Cameron Bishop - LHP - 6'4", 215lbs - DOB: 02/14/96

Junior

Year

ERA	W-L	APP	GS	CG	SV	SHO/CBO	IP	H	R	ER	BB	SO

2015	4.55	2-0	18	2	0	2	0/0	31.2	34	16	16	16	29

2016	4.61	5-5	16	15	0	0	0/1	70.1	76	49	36	33	79

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Totals	4.59	7-5	34	17	0	2	0/1	102	110	65	52	49	108

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know what happened with Bishop?  He was reportedly flown in to Baltimore on deadline day after Conlon fell through, presumably to sign an over-slot contract.  Did he fail the physical, too?  Or were they just unable to come to terms?

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Anyone know what happened with Bishop?  He was reportedly flown in to Baltimore on deadline day after Conlon fell through, presumably to sign an over-slot contract.  Did he fail the physical, too?  Or were they just unable to come to terms?

Check the Conlon thread. Someone posted details about it there I believe. Maybe in the main draft thread too. 

14 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Check the Conlon thread. Someone posted details about it there I believe. Maybe in the main draft thread too. 

Really?  All I saw was that he was being flown to Baltimore and news of a signing was anticipated... but never came.  Sorry, just didn't see the details anywhere.  Since you did, would you mind sharing?  Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Really?  All I saw was that he was being flown to Baltimore and news of a signing was anticipated... but never came.  Sorry, just didn't see the details anywhere.  Since you did, would you mind sharing?  Thanks.

This was the post I was referring to. It doesn't really confirm things either way however.  

If we knew we weren't signing Conlon at the point Bishop was in Baltimore, it's pretty safe to assume a failed physical was involved if think.  Bishop would not have required the kind of coin that Conlon was asking for  

Here's my understanding, based on what I was told by my source:

Bishop agreed to terms after his outing earlier this week at the Cape with Duquette in attendance.  It would have been for an amount in the range of $500-600k, and the Orioles flew him to Baltimore on Thursday to sign the contract and take a physical, and the deal would have been announced on Friday before the deadline.  As we all know, Angelos has a history of killing or trying to renegotiate deals after reviewing the results of physicals, and apparently that's what he did with Bishop.  I have no idea if the concerns were legit or not, but apparently Angelos tried to lower the bonus amount they agreed to and Bishop's agent said no.  Ultimately, Angelos relented and kept the bonus terms as they agreed to, but the contract paperwork was submitted just after the deadline, so MLB would not approve the deal.

However, the Orioles are trying to get MLB to reverse the decision and let the deal move forward, because both Bishop and the Orioles want the deal and have a signed agreement.  Because they have a signed agreement, Bishop could lose his college eligibility and have to sit out next season before re-entering the draft in 2018.  This means he would have to play for an independent league team during the spring so teams can evaluate him.  Basically, this situation is a mess and Bishop could get screwed in the process.

I was told that there's a chance MLB lets this slide and approves the deal, since only a technicality is preventing it from being an official deal.  However, if Angelos wouldn't have pulled his shenanigans with the physical and delayed the deal from being completed, they would have easily been able to submit the paperwork by the deadline.  This is what is so frustrating about him as an owner.  The fact that he ultimately agreed to the original terms of the deal tells me that he was just using something on the physical to try and reduce the bonus and get a better deal.  With Conlon, it appears that there was a legitimate physical issue, because they never even made him an offer after reviewing the results, but with Bishop, it seems like it was just Angelos trying to get a better deal for the Orioles by using some minor thing on the physical as a reason to reduce the bonus.

We should find out this week what the decision is on this situation.  For the Orioles and Bishops sake, I hope MLB approves the deal.  If not, I hope Bishop is at least able to retain his college eligibility. 

14 minutes ago, Obando said:

Here's my understanding, based on what I was told by my source:

Bishop agreed to terms after his outing earlier this week at the Cape with Duquette in attendance.  It would have been for an amount in the range of $500-600k, and the Orioles flew him to Baltimore on Thursday to sign the contract and take a physical, and the deal would have been announced on Friday before the deadline.  As we all know, Angelos has a history of killing or trying to renegotiate deals after reviewing the results of physicals, and apparently that's what he did with Bishop.  I have no idea if the concerns were legit or not, but apparently Angelos tried to lower the bonus amount they agreed to and Bishop's agent said no.  Ultimately, Angelos relented and kept the bonus terms as they agreed to, but the contract paperwork was submitted just after the deadline, so MLB would not approve the deal.

However, the Orioles are trying to get MLB to reverse the decision and let the deal move forward, because both Bishop and the Orioles want the deal and have a signed agreement.  Because they have a signed agreement, Bishop could lose his college eligibility and have to sit out next season before re-entering the draft in 2018.  This means he would have to play for an independent league team during the spring so teams can evaluate him.  Basically, this situation is a mess and Bishop could get screwed in the process.

I was told that there's a chance MLB lets this slide and approves the deal, since only a technicality is preventing it from being an official deal.  However, if Angelos wouldn't have pulled his shenanigans with the physical and delayed the deal from being completed, they would have easily been able to submit the paperwork by the deadline.  This is what is so frustrating about him as an owner.  The fact that he ultimately agreed to the original terms of the deal tells me that he was just using something on the physical to try and reduce the bonus and get a better deal.  With Conlon, it appears that there was a legitimate physical issue, because they never even made him an offer after reviewing the results, but with Bishop, it seems like it was just Angelos trying to get a better deal for the Orioles by using some minor thing on the physical as a reason to reduce the bonus.

We should find out this week what the decision is on this situation.  For the Orioles and Bishops sake, I hope MLB approves the deal.  If not, I hope Bishop is at least able to retain his college eligibility. 

Thanks for this info.   I'm really tired of the ownership of this team.   I can see why no one wants to work for Angelos.

You can't make this stuff up regarding the organization and the owner.

I am not casting doubt in any way on Obando's story, but someone in the organization HAS to be in charge of making sure this stuff gets done timely.  Everybody, including the kid's agent, has to know the deadline to get this in.  Someone should be ringing alarm bells at deadline less 60 minutes and then deadline less 30 minutes to get this done and EVERYONE in the critical path to get this done has to be aware of their role.  At about deadline less 60 minutes, the entire situation should have been moved into the hands of a senior member of the FO with access to our GM and owner.  These things simply don't happen in well run organizations and IMO it is possible something else in the critical path failed besides the owner's involvement.

I have sat at the end of deals waiting for $ (in the hundreds of thousands and in the tens of millions) to be transferred after all paperwork was signed.  I was director of finance and my CFO made sure I knew that EVERYONE at the seller's company, seller's bank, our bank, our staff with banking access -  EVERYONE would be at their desk (and after hours if necessary) for wires to be made, approved, received and confirmed.   There was no "the guy with approval authority is on vacation" or "that guy wasn't feeling well and left the office after lunch" kind of excuse that was acceptable.  There are always others with approval authority to be tracked down and made aware of the situation and their responsibilities.

IMO, the only way this is entirely on PA is if it sat on his desk for the two hours before the deadline and he was occupied in some fashion.  Even then, a senior member of the FO should be calling PA to get this approved timely.    

So, Bishop is in Bmore on Thursday with a verbal agreement with the GM.  The only things that needs to happen are a physical, sign the paperwork and then fax it into the MLB offices by 5 pm and we failed?  Classic.

Apparently, the top 200 draft prospects as ranked internally by MLB take pre-draft physicals, so all teams have access to the results.  Conlon was on the top 200, while Bishop was not, so the Orioles had access to Conlon's medicals early on, while they didn't have any medicals for Bishop.  That is why they needed Bishop to take a physical before the deal would become official.  You'd think that they'd have enough time to get this all worked out by the 5 pm deadline on Friday, but apparently everything got delayed because Angelos tried to renegotiate the bonus terms due to something they saw on the physical.  The fact that he ultimately agreed to keep the terms the same tells me that the physical results weren't really that concerning, although I'm sure they saw something that gave them enough pause to try and change the deal terms.  

Whatever the case, I'm just so sick and tired of every potential signing, whether it's a major leaguer or a draft pick, becoming an adventure because of the Orioles stringent physical.  While players do fail other teams' physicals, it just seems like it happens much more often with the Orioles, and it's widely known that the Orioles physical is much tougher to pass than other teams.  I think the most logical solution is to have a standardized physical for all teams, so that everyone must comply with the same requirements.  All physical results should be reviewed by someone with MLB to determine if a player passes or fails.  That will remove the subjective nature of a team physical, where a player fails for one team but passes for another.

15 minutes ago, Obando said:

Apparently, the top 200 draft prospects as ranked internally by MLB take pre-draft physicals, so all teams have access to the results.  Conlon was on the top 200, while Bishop was not, so the Orioles had access to Conlon's medicals early on, while they didn't have any medicals for Bishop.  That is why they needed Bishop to take a physical before the deal would become official.  You'd think that they'd have enough time to get this all worked out by the 5 pm deadline on Friday, but apparently everything got delayed because Angelos tried to renegotiate the bonus terms due to something they saw on the physical.  The fact that he ultimately agreed to keep the terms the same tells me that the physical results weren't really that concerning, although I'm sure they saw something that gave them enough pause to try and change the deal terms.  

Whatever the case, I'm just so sick and tired of every potential signing, whether it's a major leaguer or a draft pick, becoming an adventure because of the Orioles stringent physical.  While players do fail other teams' physicals, it just seems like it happens much more often with the Orioles, and it's widely known that the Orioles physical is much tougher to pass than other teams.  I think the most logical solution is to have a standardized physical for all teams, so that everyone must comply with the same requirements.  All physical results should be reviewed by someone with MLB to determine if a player passes or fails.  That will remove the subjective nature of a team physical, where a player fails for one team but passes for another.

I'm fine with a stringent physical, but I don't think the ownership should be involved in these negotiations.  If you don't trust DD, hire a baseball person you do trust, and then trust them to make the proper decisions.

Also, hopefully the MLB will let us slide and we can get Bishop into the organization, let us know if you hear any developments.

Archived