2018 Orioles Draft Tracker

• weams pinned and unpinned this topic
  • weams pinned this topic

I don't know who the best qualified person for this is (maybe Luke-OH? Weams? Tony?), but once the picks are in, can someone identify the good over-slot picks in the draft that we should be targeting to sign?  Every year I am really excited to find that on here and every year I end up having to really dig through the topics to find some opinions.  Thanks Weams, Luke, Tony, and everyone else that makes this website awesome, this is my absolute favorite time of year because of folks like you. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, TheOtherRipken said:

I don't know who the best qualified person for this is (maybe Luke-OH? Weams? Tony?), but once the picks are in, can someone identify the good over-slot picks in the draft that we should be targeting to sign?  Every year I am really excited to find that on here and every year I end up having to really dig through the topics to find some opinions.  Thanks Weams, Luke, Tony, and everyone else that makes this website awesome, this is my absolute favorite time of year because of folks like you. 

Thanks. Luke should be putting out his thoughts on the draft soon.

• Upvote 3

Looks like are strategy was pretty simple. We took a bunch of pitching. For position players, we primarily took SS, C, CF.   I’m not saying we got back to the basics, I think we’ve been drafting well, we just really stockpiled P and depth at premium positions. Now it’s time to see who signs. One player can make a draft. 

• Upvote 2

MASNSports

The Orioles may be close to signing as many as nine of their top 10 round picks. They need to reach final agreements, submit paperwork and then the players must pass physicals before any signings will be announced. But that process is already well under way.

My brief take on each pick is done through Round 12 with video when available.  Also a handful of the later round picks, still need to do more digging.

My best value in the top 10 rounds is Yeankarlos Lleras in the 6th round who has an electric arm. He is likely the best prospect from Puerto Rico this year and he may have fell due to issues caused (and still ongoing BTW) by Hurricane Maria on the island.

• Upvote 4

Two out of Saint Kat's after one was selected last year.  I can't find out how long they had a problem; the team website seems to only show results for 2018; was it their first season?  Looks like they play in the NCCAA-The National Christian College Athletic Association, which is of its own affiliation I believe, which can be separate from NCAA, NAIA, and JUCO, but yet some are affiliated? Does Saint Kat's play in the NAIA?  The NCCAA is not usually known for attracting top tier athletes, but NAIA baseball, especially in Cali, can be pretty solid.

10 hours ago, oceanicvoyage said:

Is it taking longer to announce the signings than usual? I know there are a few still in the college world series, but short season starts this weekend and we haven't heard much.

No, Baumann and Lowther both were announced on the 23rd of June last year, Adam Hall on the 22nd, after the Aberdeen season started. DL Hall was June 30th I believe. I believe they have agreements in place with 9 out of the first 10 players now, just need physicals, announcements.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

No, Baumann and Lowther both were announced on the 23rd of June last year, Adam Hall on the 22nd, after the Aberdeen season started. DL Hall was June 30th I believe. I believe they have agreements in place with 9 out of the first 10 players now, just need physicals, announcements.

Thanks. I think my timing is just off because the draft was a week earlier this year.