2018 1st round pick (11) Grayson Rodriguez - RHP - Central Heights HS TX

6' 5 220lbs DOB: 11/16/99

Signed: $4.3M   Slot: $4.375M  Savings: $75,100

http://riveraveblues.com/2018/05/2018-draft-prospect-profile-grayson-rodriguez-172063/

Checking in at 6’5″ and between 230 and 240 pounds, Rodriguez has the look of a Yankees pitcher. He’s a tall, thick, and imposing figure on the mound, and he has the powerful fastball to back that up,

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/6/3/17418886/2018-mlb-draft-grayson-rodriguez-rhp-nacogdoches-texas

It seems like a big hard-throwing right-hander from Texas appears in every draft class. For the 2018 MLB draft that man is Grayson Rodriguez, right-hander from Central Heights High School in Nacogdoches, Texas.

Rodriguez was known to scouts for his successful high school and showcase performances where he showed an intriguing low-90s fastball. Nine months ago the thinking was that he was rather raw, would probably attend college at Texas A&M, develop further and be an early pick in the 2021 draft.

That timetable has moved up.

He was a different pitcher this spring, with better physical conditioning boosting his fastball and improving his game all-around. He’s up to 96-98 peak velocities now and works at 93-94. A previously-slurvy breaking ball has developed into two distinct pitches, a hard power slider and a slower but convincingly bendy curve.

There’s a change-up, too, and while it isn’t as advanced as the breaking stuff it projects as a solid pitch. His mechanics are more consistent this year and his command is good for his age. Mound presence and maturity under pressure are also positives and it doesn’t take much imagination to see him as a future number two starter.

Rodriguez has moved into first-round status and some observers like him as much, if not more, than arms like Ethan Hankins and Carter Stewart who received more pre-spring attention. It appears quite unlikely that Rodriguez will get to college at this point.

Luke's Take: A major pop-up guy this spring, Rodriguez added muscle and leaned up over the winter. His FB is now a solid plus pitch, sitting in the mid-90s, touching 98. He's athletic for a big dude, repeats his delivery well, and even manipulates his tempo without throwing off his mechanics. He does a good job of staying on top of his fastball and it has heavy downward plane. He recently developed two separate breaking balls that both have potential. His hard slider is the better of the two with bat missing horizontal run. It has the potential to be a true out pitch. The curveball is promising as well, it has good shape but it appears his release gives it away to some extent. There is reportedly the feel for a changeup, but I didn't see much of it in available video. 

Rodriguez when he signs, for reportedly a slightly underslot bonus, will arguably have the best arsenal of pitches in the Orioles system. He gets to his velocity with an easy delivery and a quick arm and has the potential for solid command eventually. He's got a frame that has bad body potential if he doesn't keep up with his conditioning, but could be a plus with a strong work ethic. You can definitely dream on this guy reaching a #2 starter ceiling, but he has a long developmental path ahead of him. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Another HS pitcher? Rajsich must feel no pressure. High risk, high reward. Personally not a fan of High School pitchers in the 1st round, but let's hope this guy is special. 

You know I wanted a lefty. Oh well. 

Per usual, I'm disappointed with the Orioles choice of 1st-round draft pick. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck to the young man.

EDIT: To be more clear, I would have taken others before GR, but did/do like him, as I'd rated him about 25th. The disappointment is based on my own rankings and who was still available at our pick. Naturally, I hope he's awesome.

I don't know that much about the kid but superficially he reminds me of Hobgood: big-boned HS RHP who had a big velocity jump his senior year.  I would have preferred Liberatore, although to have fallen that far I'm guessing it's signability issues with him.  I would have also preferred Gorman or Winn.  Maybe the O's will save some money with this pick and are planning to draft some high-upside HS guys later.  

3 minutes ago, Otter said:

I don't know that much about the kid but superficially he reminds me of Hobgood: big-boned HS RHP who had a big velocity jump his senior year.  I would have preferred Liberatore, although to have fallen that far I'm guessing it's signability issues with him.  I would have also preferred Gorman or Winn.  Maybe the O's will save some money with this pick and are planning to draft some high-upside HS guys later.  

Gorman scares me.  I wanted no part of him.

5 minutes ago, Otter said:

But this guy is a high upside HS guy. 

I read he has some of the best fb spin rates in the draft. Nasty breaking pitches. Of course he could better his change up, but how many guys really throw 4 pitches?  

I read D.Betances as a comp. 

8 minutes ago, Otter said:

I agree - I'm hoping the pick is somewhat underslot to get someone who requires a little extra $ at #37.

I think he looks better than Hobgood, both as a pitcher and as an athlete.  But there is probably some injury risk with him (more than just the average random pitcher).

Archived