2018 4th Round (115) Drew Rom - LHP - Highlands HS (KY) LHP

6' 2 170lbs DOB: 12/15/99

Projectable. Good Trackman data. Good spin rate. 

Luke's Take: A well put together LHP, with some room for more weight on an athletic frame. Fastball just touching 91mph, but gets to it easily, pretty low effort guy. Can spin a slider with nice two-plane break and has the feel for a changeup. He uses seriously different mechanics in his full wind-up than in his delivery from the stretch. In his wind-up, he uses some deceptive rotation away from the plate and then does a "tall and fall" type delivery, not using his lower half much at all. He doesn't really have the frame for a "tall and fall" delivery. From the stretch, he uses practically no leg lift and utilizes a "drop and drive" delivery, which is much more lower half intensive. It'll be interesting to see what they do with his mechanics because there is no way they let that inconsistency continue. I think he could probably throw harder by just adding intent (aka trying to throw harder). Interesting guy, athletic dude (seems to be a trend with pitchers in this draft), the arm works and I'm curious to see what the Orioles do with him developmentally.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drew Rom, LHP, Highlands (Fort Thomas, Ky.)
Ht/Wt: 6’2”/177            B/T: L/L           Age (as of 2018 MLB Draft): 18y, 6m
Video

Rom was dominant at the WWBA World Championship in Jupiter last fall, working 3 2/3 innings of scoreless, one-hit ball, striking out nine and walking none. The Michigan commit has a projectable build and shows an ability to work the quadrants with his 88-to-91 mph fastball. His slider is a sharp breaker with 2-to-8 tilt, and he already shows solid feel for a low-80s change-up with some arm-side sink.

From 2080 HS LHP round up. 

. Drew Rom, LHP, Highlands HS, Fort Thomas, Ky. (BA Rank: 187)
HS •  6-2 • 177 • L-L • Michigan

A Michigan signee who is an outstanding student, Rom has added some good weight and has seen it pay off this spring. He works to both sides of the plate with an 89-91 mph fastball and his potentially above-average slider has sharpened up and gotten harder, jumping from 77-79 mph last summer to 80-82 this spring. If he continues to get stronger and fill out, the still-skinny, 6-foot-2, 180-pound lefty has plenty of potential. Rom is far from a polished product. His slider wavers in quality and his release point can wander. If he gets to Michigan, he could make a pretty immediate impact.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/sean-hjelle-is-the-top-2018-mlb-draft-prospect-from-kentucky/

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I like HS kids like this that do not overthrow to impress and light up radar guns. I want the velo when his body is ready in a few years. 

Sure, but if it isn't there in a few years I don't think we'll be seeing him at OPACY.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but if it isn't there in a few years I don't think we'll be seeing him at OPACY.

If he’s an easy lefty 89-91 now, and stays healthy, I’m buying in the 4th round. Needs to tighten up the slider, but has nice depth and fade on the change piece with some feel.

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

If he’s an easy lefty 89-91 now, and stays healthy, I’m buying in the 4th round. Needs to tighten up the slider, but has nice depth and fade on the change piece with some feel.

I'm fine with the pick.

Just not many 87-91 guys make the majors anymore.

Archived